Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Beckham to quit Real Madrid and join....

• 24-03-2005 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

...Spurs?

Saw this in the papers today. Apparently DB is thinking of quitting La Liga due to paparazzi abuse of his kids. (Glasshouses and stones?) The mirror gives several clubs that he would consider joining, and reasons for him not going there. Its quite amusing really. The list:

Chelsea - Unlikely because Mourinho wouldnt like to share the limelight?
    Arsenal - Couldnt afford his wages, DB not fast enough?
    Man U - Fergie!
    Spurs - Couldnt afford his wages?

Beckham is a spurs lad (from the area) and used to be a fan apparently. But can you see it happening? Or will he stay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

He will quit the game after Madrid (whenever that is) , as he knows he won't be able to get into any top European team , and I don't think he wants to play for sides that compete for Uefa Cup places , wouldn't do good for his image , and we know how important image rights were to him a few years back .

Would be interesting though , Spurs picking up a couple of hundred million asian fans .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Boro wrote:
    Chelsea - Unlikely because Mourinho wouldnt like to share the limelight?

Unlikely as he wouldn't get his game you mean? He's barely good enough to play for England so what chance has he got at Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He is playing based on rep in Real Madrid, and he is what passes as a defensive midfielder who them.
    He wouldn't get his game in Utd(ronaldo), Chelsea(Duff or Robben) or Arsenal(Lnuberg)
    He will retire after Real Madrid, because he wants to be remembered as always a great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I rate David Beckham as a player. I must be the only one who does in these bloody forums though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

He'll leave Real if they want a football team and not a marketing gimmick, which could well be the case after another trophyless season. Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal wouldn't want him, can't see him at Liverpool though that's a possibility, so Spurs is as likely as any given he's a Londoner himself. Unless he wants to stay abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

cheesedude wrote:
    I rate David Beckham as a player. I must be the only one who does in these bloody forums though.
    I also do. Any midfielder that provides that amount of goals and assists must be doing something right.

His footballing ability is not the reason that any of the top sides probably wouldnt sign him.

He would get into the current Chelsea team, ahead of Tiago. He could also provide the width they currently dont have on the right hand side if required. I couldnt ever see Mourinho sign him though.

He obviously wont go back to United if AF is there. But as for him not being able to get into the team? Ahead of Ronaldo? Are you joking? Ronaldo (as of yet) is not even half the player Beckham was at United. Beckham was bagging 10+ goals and twice as many assists in his last few years at United. If I were a United fan I would only live in hope that Ronaldo could match that.

I think Arsenal could be a possiblility, mind you Im not sure AW would sign him given his status. He could definately do a job in the centre for Arsenal, or on the right wing. Maybe they might even start scoring some headers.

People need to look past his image, I know he is a total gob****e, but the lad delivered on the pitch consistently while at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Pigman II wrote:
    Unlikely as he wouldn't get his game you mean? He's barely good enough to play for England so what chance has he got at Chelsea?

Exactly! We don't want that media grabbing poser. He's past his sell by date now. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Best Summation of beckham i ever heard " sweet right foot".

Regardless of image and hatred of him, that guy can pass/cross a ball as good as any player in the world. His assist ratio for Utd and Real ( 2 **** teams who play **** players :rolleyes: ) is superb.

Only thing is he needs a good right back who can provide him with the space to pass/cross. Neville did a super job for him at Utd.

kdjac

He did deliver, but doesnt at Real Madrid imo, and his talent is helped a lot by the quality existing at Real.
    At this moment in time, I'd rather have Ronaldo in my team than Beckham.

He had an amazing right foot, but that said, I wouldn't want him back at United for a whole lot of reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

He was excellent when he stayed on the right and did what he did best, knocked in great crosses. It's when he somehow got the idea he could play central mid field and started drifting all over the place that he started playing poorly, and has continued that for Real. He doesn't have what it takes to play central mid field and should stick to what he's actually good at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

At this moment in time, I'd rather have Ronaldo in my team than Beckham.
    For all Beckhams faults he is a far more influential player in Man Utds success than Ronaldo.
    Kanchelskis...Beckham..then Ronaldo.
    Ronaldo has failed to deliver far too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I think he`s a poof but his ability on the pitch cannot be questioned..he`ll stay with Real id say.......

Of course Beckham was better than Ronaldo is now, are you mad, he was unreal, massive assists, but now I don't think he'd be the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Chelsea - Mourinho would never take him at Chelsea, he seems to be more interested in snagging Joaquin from Betis anyway.
    Arsenal - Real would be looking to recoup most of that £24.5 million they paid for him. I honestly don't think Wenger would blow that kind of money on a player that isn't suited to the Arsenal game.
    Man U - Ferguson fired a boot at him. Enough said.
    Spurs - Not a chance, too low profile for Beckham.
    Liverpool - No chance, they've already got a huge squad and have spent heavily already.

I reckon that he's not happy at Real and is just attempting to generate interest in him. The only thing is; no one is biting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Liverpool - No chance, they've already got a huge squad and have spent heavily already.

dont we have the smallest(or one of the smallest) squads in the premiership?

Rafa wouldnt touch him with a barge poll though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I don't know, Chucky, he has imported a lot of la liga rejects tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

THe man has been destroyed by fame and the press. te stress has got to him., at UTD, ferguson tried to shelter him and protext him, as he does every player at UTD. Beckham ignored his advice and was sold coz ferguson saw the snowball that had started. it was obvious at Euro 04 that the pressure for him to perform was too much. he is nothing more than a name brand at the moment. a good player on the decline.
    as with any other aging player, if you want to continue playing, you have to sign for a smaller club. (Ince, Irwin -> Wolves, Sheringham -> West Ham).

Beckham needs to choose between a career on the bench or as a bit part player or a regular at a slightly less glamorous club (which he's never had).

Skill can be relative. at an average club, he will shine, but at madrid, he will just look average. to keep the money machine going, he needs to look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

i could see him joining arsenal if it wasnt for the wages

however he will never join spurs that would be too ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i could see him enjoying arsenal if it wasnt for the wages

How would he enjoy being a permanent sub ? :confused: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Answers on a postcard:

David Beckham to quit Real Madrid and join....

Sheffield Wednesday.........not sure if he will get his place ahead of Jon Paul-McGovern but he will give him competition for a place while Hamshaw is injuryed...... :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement