Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comic wars: revenge of the drones

Options
  • 24-03-2005 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

was just reading some of the threads in here about the various events and signings being organised by the comic book stores in Dublin.
    To be honest, does it really matter who got who to sign comics where??
    Isn't the important thing the fact that the more of these events the stores organize in the city, the more positive it is for comics, and their readers, in dublin, and Ireland.
    This kind of petty 'this shop is better than that one because...' is needless AND pointless.
    I just think it's pretty damn nice that theres more of these events happening.
    Its a positive thing, lets not descend into ridiculous petty statements about which shop does it better, it serves no purpose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Agreed. That's why we're harsh on self advertising. Though events like these are different.

That's why i'm going to be very strict on upcoming threads on events. If they want to post the event they put it in the sticky. Otherwise, the thread gets deleted. It won't be moved there, it'll be deleted. I'm not going through extra effort for someone chancing their arm at a self publicity thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 J Hendrick

Since Rob Curlys thread was closed and this is along the lines of the same topic I think I should put this here. Mods if it's in the wrong place feel free to move it, but please don't delete it.

I registered on this board yesterday(i'v always been a lurker here) as I saw comments, pretty bad personal comments. Attacking Sub-City and Sub Con. And I have to say to the person who posted them. Grow Up.

Reading it I got the impression that "Orifice".. (nice BTW) Was pretty angry over a lot of things that to both me and the vast majority of comic readers in Ireland think is a very positive thing.

A comic book convention with 2 of the most prolific comic artists to have come out of the UK comics scene and make it all the way in the industry. These guy's were nice enough to take the time and accept Sub-City's invitation to come to Ireland and hang out with Irish fans. As we all know that's a pretty rare thing. Not because we as store owners don't bother, or they as professionals don't want to.

It's about the fact that a good signing is hard to pull off. If you have a comic pro over who's work you love and you know the other 12 pople in the country that love it too. Forget about it. But if they are consistently working in the industry and have produced great and dynamic work over the years then your on to a winner.If you time it well and all goes to plan you can have a pretty fun and successful day.

That being said I want to address the point "Orifice" seemed so pissed off about. Cost. Because when a store puts on something like this they risk a lot of capital and to be quite honoust. Every retailer will tell you this. SIGNINGS NEVER MAKE MONEY. EVER. All they do is give comic fans a chance to hang out with each other and give them a chance to meet up with industry pro's and have a fun day out.

I can guarentee that the 3 Euro Sub City are charging in is never going to come near the cost of what they are giving to the fans on this day. When you consider that they have to cover flight's, accommadation, expenses and a night out or two for both guests. Then they have the cost of the hotel. The extra staff they will have for the day and the day's previous to it for the organisation involved. When you weigh it all up. I think everyone, whether they are fans of Philips and Fegrado or not. Should say thanks to Sub-City for putting it on.

BTW, I'm not even going to comment on the attack concerning charity. it was utterly pathetic and had no place in a comic forum.

I wish Sub-City the best of luck with Sub-Con.

All the best,

John Hendrick. (off to smoke his peace pipe)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Evidently Orifice was wrong in his assumptions, but he still had the right to note his concerns. The way he did it though was uncalled for and so he is currently banned from this forum.

You're right, the other thread was closed, and this has made all necessary statements. I think the issue has been explained completely between both yourself and Rob's thread.

So rather than any of this becoming an all out argument between anyone, lets leave it at this. Questions were asked, the recent posts answered them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement