Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deported student to return

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Delboy05

alan1978 wrote:
    Just wait till residents against racism (anarchists in poor disguises) protest. They won't have a leg to stand on, we will hear far fetched tales of butchery to come if he returns to Nigeria - all rubish. The end result will be Kunle returning to where he belongs. If criminals are not allowed apply for US visa's, they shouldn't be allowed to hold Irish visa's aswell.

they're at it already....saying this is revenge on McDowells part. pathetic. The fella was given a 6 month VISA which is up since last November. Yet he's still here - you'd think he'd keep his nose clean, stay out of trouble, out of the media spotlight....but no, that was'nt possible.

He's brought this on himself. He's cost this country a small fortune so far (and mmore to come in court appeals etc)....enough, time to go.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

welcome to the boards just to post about this, its interesting how you have personal knowledge of the issues as you cheer his deportation, what is your concern with the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 alan1978

My concern with kunle is only that his deportation is done swiftly. I saw his sad and depressed face on TV3, I've got to say it made me happy.

This criminal scumbag has cost Irish taxpayers a fortune, I'm counting down the hours till he is given his final march through Dublin Airport. We have enough domestic scum in our Country without accepting Nigeria's.

Goodbye Kunle, you will not be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

You're very emotive about the whole thing, aren't you!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus the thread has Phoenixed !!!

Well I was in favour of him finishing his education but now that has happened he should be deported. At least he has some qualifications now to go into the world with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I find it hard to defend him, he was given a 6 month visa, which he has outstayed and he has committed crimes in Ireland while on that visa (when that normally happens don't the people get sent straight back home?).
    The fact is he got to finish his education and can now use that overseas.
    As a point of interest, did his visa allow him to work? What are his plans if he were to stay in Ireland? College? Career?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

After he was flown back from Nigeria, I read in the Irish Independent that he was arrested here for handling stolen property (before the deportation).
    And now we have the driving convictions.

I believe in giving someone a second chance but he blew it.

alan1978 wrote:
    residents against racism (anarchists in poor disguises).

explain yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

I don't understand what the gloating from certain posters is all about. The dude got busted, and now he's going to be deported.

Is this somehow meant to prove something?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pete wrote:
    I don't understand what the gloating from certain posters is all about. The dude got busted, and now he's going to be deported.

I think it's pre-emptive. Ultimately, the usual anti-deportation crowd will protest (their excuse this time is "McDowell is taking revenge for this kid making him look stupid when he had to bring him back"), but in fairness I don't think anyone here will fight their side on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

From the news report on RTE it looked like it's just his friends campaigning for him to stay.

I think he has definitely to be deported this time. Otherwise it's perfect ammunition for the anti-immigration lobby.

I'd feel insulted and badly let down by him if I'd supported him over the last couple of years. He has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think it allows for a certain amount of "I-told-you-so" in some camps. Especially as (if I recall correctly) he had a bit of a dodgy background before the whole deportation kerfuffle came around.

seamus wrote:
    Ultimately, the usual anti-deportation crowd will protest (their excuse this time is "McDowell is taking revenge for this kid making him look stupid when he had to bring him back")

Has anyone actually said this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The only reason he is being sent back is he overstayed his current visa and was caught driving a car without tax and insurance. Anything else spouted by people here is BS.

It doesn't preclude him coming back to Ireland at a later time.

Hobbes wrote:
    The only reason he is being sent back is he overstayed his current visa and was caught driving a car without tax and insurance. Anything else spouted by people here is BS.
    Looks like you've made up your mind irrespective of any corroborating evidence?
    Just to pre-empt: I will not be able to get a copy of the arrest records for you.
    Hobbes wrote:
    It doesn't preclude him coming back to Ireland at a later time.

Hopefully by then, he will have it all figured out: abide by the rules.

Hobbes wrote:
    Anything else spouted by people here is BS.

It seems that he also had another another previous conviction for a road traffic offense. From the Independent today:

"The letter sent to Kunle yesterday outlined the reasons for his deportation including his status as a failed asylum seeker, the ending of his extension and his non-compliance with the laws of the land.

This was a reference to the fact that he had Kunle recently pleading guilty in court to charges of driving without insurance or tax since his return here and his previous conviction for a road traffic offence."

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1548410&issue_id=13588
    (subscription)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Delboy05

pete wrote:

yes Pete they have....yesterdays breaking news on RTE quoted a Residents against Racism (or as they could also be called '30 people against ALL deportations') spokesman as saying exactly that...even mentioned something about revenge being a dish best served cold.....

And on last nights news, the head of the 30 people (i won't even bother mentioning her name), said the following about the Nigerian lad driving without tax and insurance:
    "we've all done it" and
    "it's not a life or death offence"...!!!!!!

Thats the intellect your dealing with here....woolly headed liberals with tunnel vision. Don't know about the rest of ye here, but I've never driven without tax insurance....the fear of injuring myself or some innocent bystander and not been able to pay for it or having to do time in jail puts the fear of God in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pete wrote:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/story.asp?j=150476928&p=y5x47755y&n=150477616&archive=25/01/2006
    The Residents Against Racism group said that the new move to deport Mr Eluhanla, who is known as Kunle, was due to the political embarrassment he had caused Mr McDowell.

“They say that revenge is a dish best served cold and certainly Michael McDowell did not want to bring Kunle back. But any deportation will be met with the same protests as the last time,” said spokesman Mark Grehan.
    Seriously, I'm a pretty liberal guy, but this is bordering on ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 alan1978

Rosanna Flynn is a [edited. They will make excuses for poor old Kunle but the result will be the same - goodbye criminal kunle. That chancer should never have been allowed back into this country, 3 proven criminal acts whilst here!

Good riddens Kunle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

If he is a bloody crim then send him back on the boat. thats all I say.

I dont mind non EU nationals coming to the country but we have enough of crims here thank you.

WELL DONE MC DOWELL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He was given a chance that most people don't get and he f*cked it up... He should go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

boardy wrote:
    Looks like you've made up your mind irrespective of any corroborating evidence?

Sorry where did I say he didn't have previous run ins with the law? What I listed is why he was told he is being deported. Previous traffic offenses have nothing to do with it.

As for Residents Against Racism shower of muppets tbh. I don't see any reason why he should be allowed stay longer.

Also it was RAR/Kunle that dragged this into the media to begin with which is why hes getting the attention again now that he is leaving.

Hobbes wrote:
    Previous traffic offenses have nothing to do with it.

That is incorrect. Read my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Hobbes wrote:
    Also it was RAR/Kunle that dragged this into the media to begin with which is why hes getting the attention again now that he is leaving.

Yeah, this was my original reasoning back in March as to why he shouldn't have stayed. It simply stinks of an episode of the Simpsons where the popular immigrant (Apu) manages to stay, so everyone's happy - whilst the other immigrants are deported, though nobody cares. Thus, the fundamental problem (or 'situation', depending on your viewpoint!) remains the same with this popular character being the exception to the rule only because he's popular.

Like I said the last time I posted, he simply shouldn't have stayed when other students/mothers etc were being deported without as much as a wimper. Thus, I am, as in March, glad that he is being deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

alan1978 wrote:
    Rosanna Flynn is a [edited. They will make excuses for poor old Kunle but the result will be the same - goodbye criminal kunle. That chancer should never have been allowed back into this country, 3 proven criminal acts whilst here!

Good riddens Kunle!

Ok removed your first part because in reality it had no bearing on the discussion and tbh it could land boards in trouble if not true.

I am banning you for 2 weeks and tbh judging by your contribution to this thread we will not miss you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Democracy2005

I agree with the decision to deport. He failed his asylum-application at all stages. He received a state-funded education for years despite not being a citizen. He was then brought back from Nigeria after deportation because of PC-brigade pressure on a 6 month visa. He has been treated extremely generously by the Government and yet now he seeks our sympathy to stay on for good. The answer must be no. A chance exists to erase the previous precedent set by allowing him back.

I had a feeling McDowell's previous backsliding in letting him back would amount to a precedent and I was proving right. That Pamela woman and the Athlone mothers who left their children behind are other examples of would-be deportees competing to make their cases sound as harrowing as possible in order to pressure us to let them stay. The answer must always be no for failed asylum-seekers. The absence of direct-flights from Nigeria proves they entered a previous EU country to us. Let them go home and leave us be.

With 180,000 Eastern EU citizens in the country, the economic case for allowing asylum-seekers to say no longer has any currency. And anyway, there are 2 many of them too. The Government and IBEC say we 'need' 30-50,000 migrant workers a year yet figures yesterday in the Irish Times or Irish Independent say that 200,000 were let in last year when you add the PPS no.s of new EU nationals, 27,000 non-EU work permits (why are these still being issued in such numbers) and that doesn't include the 4,000 or so asylum-seekers. Why are we letting in so many, especially when 12 of the Old EU states have controls on the new EU member states which they are allowed to keep until 2011 (not 2 yrs as some here have claimed)?

seamus wrote:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/story.asp?j=150476928&p=y5x47755y&n=150477616&archive=25/01/2006

Seriously, I'm a pretty liberal guy, but this is bordering on ridiculous.

I think the level of ridiculousness would depend on whether it's true or not.

It would seem there is no question of there not being legitimate grounds for deportation, but given certain recent accusations levelled against the Minister in question I'd be curious to know whether this case was dealt with any quicker than others, and whether the same reasoning / justifications are applied in similar cases.

I'd imagine a lot could be revealed by one or two FOI queries.

i love how these threads always attract "new" accounts.
    With 180,000 Eastern EU citizens in the country, the economic case for allowing asylum-seekers to say no longer has any currency.

Economic case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Democracy2005

pete wrote:
    i love how these threads always attract "new" accounts.

Economic case?

The skills-shortage case I mean i.e. the 'need' for workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Look he was given a visa to let him stay to complete his Education. That visa has been up since November. In the meantime he has been in court on driving charges, this has brought him into the public eye. With the new attention the Dept of Justice decided to follow up his case. In radio and newspaper reports it is said that his court case was seen as the deciding factor. If he had kept his nose clean he probably would be able to get on here without any bother.

Personally I am more excercised by the case of the convicted drug mule who was given asylum. Why? Criminal behaviour should not be awarded. This is made even more stark when compared to that Nigerian mother arrested and threatened with deportation from Sligo when she went to see her kids.

I believe that anybody claiming asylum should sign a contract stating that if they are convicted of a serious crime e.g. any crime with a sentence of 4 years or more (this is the definition of a serious crime in law I believe) then their asylum should be revoked and they should be deported. I think this might run into problems with international law though. We cannot or should not have an open door immigration policy but should have a workable one. If anybody wants to come over to work and if the jobs are available then they should be encouraged. Provided they get the same wages and working conditions as anybody else.

Advertisement