Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deported student to return

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Democracy2005

Let's hope the PC-judges can keep their hands off this case, unlike the Pamela case. Dogooders and bleeding hearts keep yet big noses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I believe that anybody claiming asylum should sign a contract stating that if they are convicted of a serious crime e.g. any crime with a sentence of 4 years or more (this is the definition of a serious crime in law I believe) then their asylum should be revoked and they should be deported.
    There's no need to make them sign a contract. Simply enact it in law. Personally, I'd be a little stricter. I'd deport them if they receive any conviction in their first five years here (excluding traffic offences which don't count as "convictions"), and after that first five years, they should be deportable for any conviction which results in a prison sentence (after serving their time). Obviously both of these conditions are gone if/when they receive Irish citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

The skills-shortage case I mean i.e. the 'need' for workers.

asylum seekers are allowed work now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Delboy05

pete wrote:
    It would seem there is no question of there not being legitimate grounds for deportation, but given certain recent accusations levelled against the Minister in question I'd be curious to know whether this case was dealt with any quicker than others, and whether the same reasoning / justifications are applied in similar cases.

I'd imagine a lot could be revealed by one or two FOI queries.

You want to read the papers a bit more Pete. The Indo today reports that since Oct 28th, when the VISA expired, the Justice Dept. have been in talks with Kunle's legal reps. Now, I don't think you can call that a rushed decision.

And unless some new evidence has come into play concering his case, then you could in fact say his case has been under review for the last couple of years, what with original interviews, hearings, appeals, etc etc. What more do you want.....a referendum on his case alone!!!!!

When is enough, enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

pete wrote:
    i love how these threads always attract "new" accounts.

I hear new accounts get free prams. :)
    I'd be curious to know whether this case was dealt with any quicker than others, and whether the same reasoning / justifications are applied in similar cases.

Well his Visa ran out in Oct/Nov so not that fast to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hobbes wrote:
    I hear new accounts get free prams. :)
    How dare you! How dare you say something like that on a public forum. It's not true. There's a leaflet you can get that proves that new accounts only get the very basics. Next you'll be saying they get free cars as well. Bloody newbieist. Harrumph......

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Delboy05 wrote:
    You want to read the papers a bit more Pete.

You'd want to read my post a bit more
    The Indo today reports that since Oct 28th, when the VISA expired, the Justice Dept. have been in talks with Kunle's legal reps. Now, I don't think you can call that a rushed decision.

Did I say it was?

My point was not "was this case dealt with quickly", it was "was this case dealt with quicker than other similar cases". If yes, it would possibly indicate his being singled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

seamus wrote:
    There's no need to make them sign a contract. Simply enact it in law. Personally, I'd be a little stricter. I'd deport them if they receive any conviction in their first five years here (excluding traffic offences which don't count as "convictions"), and after that first five years, they should be deportable for any conviction which results in a prison sentence (after serving their time). Obviously both of these conditions are gone if/when they receive Irish citizenship.

Well the reason I would make them sign some kind of contract is so everybody can be 100% sure that it was explained very clearly to all asylum seekers in their own language; and they would be aware of the very serious consequences of getting involved in serious criminal activity. Maybe there could be some scope for getting stricter if it isn't found to be working.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

We have enough criminals in Ireland without importing them.

His application failed and like the thousands of others who have gone before him, now he must go.

Due Process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Delboy05

pete wrote:
    You'd want to read my post a bit more

Did I say it was?

My point was not "was this case dealt with quickly", it was "was this case dealt with quicker than other similar cases". If yes, it would possibly indicate his being singled out.

his case has dragged on for a couple of years. He's had a hearing, an appeal, a court appeal, gone through the deportation process,his lawyers and dept of justice officials have been in talks since November......how the hell has his case been dealt with in a quicker manner than others in a similar situation!!!!!!!!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Delboy05 wrote:
    his case has dragged on for a couple of years. He's had a hearing, an appeal, a court appeal, gone through the deportation process,his lawyers and dept of justice officials have been in talks since November......how the hell has his case been dealt with in a quicker manner than others in a similar situation!!!!!!!!!:confused:

THE MEDIA !!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

in regards to deportation please read the following links

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-1325540,00.html

"IRISH people who overstay their welcome in the United States are being imprisoned for up to three months before being deported"

why is it ok to deport people in Ireland and not in the USA??

pete wrote:
    Delboy05 wrote:

Did i say it had been?
    me, again wrote:

Do i have to highlight the relevant part for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Suff wrote:
    in regards to deportation please read the following links

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-1325540,00.html

"IRISH people who overstay their welcome in the United States are being imprisoned for up to three months before being deported"

why is it ok to deport people in Ireland and not in the USA??

Er, what are you talking about? The USA are deporting them. It says it right there in your quote... unless you meant to say "Why is it not okay to deport people in Ireland, and it is in the USA" perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

if i was let into any country on a 6month visa and broke the law during my stay i wouldnt expect to have the visa renewed one bit, seems like the correct decision and if i see anyone protesting this i will be organising a counter protest which you are all invited to join ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

shuushh wrote:
    if i was let into any country on a 6month visa and broke the law during my stay i wouldnt expect to have the visa renewed one bit, seems like the correct decision and if i see anyone protesting this i will be organising a counter protest which you are all invited to join ;)

See you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

While I agree he should be now deported, since there seems to be no reason for his mothers asylum application and he has been allowed complete his education, I am rather surprised by the reaction to this by a number of posters.

The idea that this kid is some kind of underworld criminal mastermind scumbag is frankly ridiculous.

Driving without insurance is a crime, and quite rightly too considering the high accident rate on Irish roads. But it hardly makes him some kind of hardened criminal. Lots of people drive without insurance. They are all in the wrong, they should all be caught and punished. But they aren't all drug dealing purse stealing thugs.

TBH it more shows that some anti-immigration posters seem to want to jump on anything to try and prove their point. We let this black Nigeria stay in our country and he turned out to be a criminal scumbag. Nigerians = criminals ... Point proven... :rolleyes:

Considering they are betrating the RAR group for making ridiculous statments about revenge and such it seems rather strange that they are making similar illogical and disconnected statements about this kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

the lad seems to have integrated well and has irish friends and works and goes to college here.i think it would be good PR for the minister and his integration policies to let him stay as a once off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭zepp

Wicknight wrote:
    While I agree he should be now deported, since there seems to be no reason for his mothers asylum application and he has been allowed complete his education, I am rather surprised by the reaction to this by a number of posters.

The idea that this kid is some kind of underworld criminal mastermind scumbag is frankly ridiculous.

Driving without insurance is a crime, and quite rightly too considering the high accident rate on Irish roads. But it hardly makes him some kind of hardened criminal. Lots of people drive without insurance. They are all in the wrong, they should all be caught and punished. But they aren't all drug dealing purse stealing thugs.

TBH it more shows that some anti-immigration posters seem to want to jump on anything to try and prove their point. We let this black Nigeria stay in our country and he turned out to be a criminal scumbag. Nigerians = criminals ... Point proven... :rolleyes:

Considering they are betrating the RAR group for making ridiculous statments about revenge and such it seems rather strange that they are making similar illogical and disconnected statements about this kid.

Exactly this guy broke the law and should be deported. But the majority abided by our laws and thus I have no problem with him. The minister gave in to the do gooders once when he had already been convicted. He shouldn't twice
    as for ronbyrne2005. It would be bad PR. There are many more worthy cases out their then to be giving preferance to some who has broken the law twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

i think it would be good PR for the minister and his integration policies to let him stay as a once off.

Ermm, he already did once...

• Advertisement

Question - Whats the evidence that this kid will be under threat if he returns?

I know his mothers asylum application was turned down, but what was actually in the application does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ronbyrne2005 the lad seems to have integrated well and has irish friends and works and goes to college here.i think it would be good PR for the minister and his integration policies to let him stay as a once off.

While it would be good PR, PR is not what good governance is about. There is no such thing as a once off, if he was allowed stay, someone else would say they were in a similar case and want to stay.

Once off..... how ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

Wicknight wrote:
    Question - Whats the evidence that this kid will be under threat if he returns?

Seemingly, the argument that they are using now is that this man (not a kid anymore) will suffer reprisals for "turning his back on his country" by leaving Nigeria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

boardy wrote:
    Seemingly, the argument that they are using now is that this man (not a kid anymore) will suffer reprisals for "turning his back on his country" by leaving Nigeria.

Any time these deportation stories hit the news, we invariably hear about what horrible fate is going to greet the failed asylum seeker(s) when they go home. I don't know whether they're true or not but I can see why we're always given the worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

allie_e17 wrote:
    I don't know whether they're true or not but I can see why we're always given the worst case scenario.
    If we were told that he could go home, no harm done to him, he'd be deported. But, cos of the nasty threats, he claims he should stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 liberalbuster

I could not agree more, this guy has been treated far too well by this state. He was allowed to stay to do his Leaving Cert even though he was an illegal. How did he repay our generosity? He drove without tax and insurance. Due to all the trouble caused by immigrants from Nigeria(ie child abandoning etc) a total ban on immigration from that country should be introduced immediately. We may have responsabilities to eastern European countries due to being sold out by our political leaders, but we owe Nigeria nothing.
    shuushh wrote:

a total ban on immigration from that country should be introduced immediately.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

a totally incompatible culture to our own.....how about that for one

kkposse wrote:
    a totally incompatible culture to our own.....how about that for one

What?, a country that was ruled by Britian until the 1960s, with English as the main language and with a large Christian population (40%) ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

a country with 60 million muslims 50 % of the population, we have seen the massive failure of multiculturalism in England, France, Holland, Its a proven failure, its about time we started learning from others mistakes.

Advertisement