Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BREAKING NEWS]Govt. Seat in Kyrgyzstan stormed

Options
  • 24-03-2005 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Just on CNN at the mo....opposition demonstrators have stormed the seat of govt. in Kyrgyzstan.

There were clashes with riot police earlier.

No word from the Pres. for the last few hours.

Anyone know anything more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Kyrgyzstan... for all those (like me) who just could not place it on the map :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

bonkey wrote:
    Anyone know anything more?
    BBC have something about it, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4378029.stm
    This has been going on for weeks now over there, last major thing that happened was the opposition basically took control in a city in the south (Osh) the other day.
    It was looking like the government wanted to negotiate with them but that was running into problems because (apparently) there's no one opposition leader for them to deal with.
    I'd imagine a leaderless/fractured opposition taking control could be a huge problem, hopefully it'll work out for them.
    Pity certain other countries haven't been standing up for these people's democratic ambitions as in certain other (more strategic) locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Looks like the government there has been ousted:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4379441.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Latest reports state that Akayev has fled to Russia and his family has been flown out of the country. Opposition supporters have been wearing yellow scarves, headbands, in imitation of the Ukranian opposition. It really seems as though the Ukranians have been inspirational in this - reminds me a little (just a little) of the tumultuous times during the revolution of 1989, when the rest of Eastern Europe looked to the Poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'd imagine a leaderless/fractured opposition taking control could be a huge problem, hopefully it'll work out for them.
    Pity certain other countries haven't been standing up for these people's democratic ambitions as in certain other (more strategic) locations.

Youve answered your own challenge. Who are the opposition, who represents and speaks for them? Whats the policies? We know they are against the former (?) regime but what are they for? For all the world knows they could support throwing jews down disused mine shafts. A potential leadership candidate is an ex KGB-lite veteran. Im not encouraged by that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Apparently the southern part of the country is muslim a section of which is redicalized and provided fighters of Al Qaida and the Taliban, how true any of th is Im not sure however but it does have a sizeable muslim population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

It should also be interesting to see what effect if any it will have on G Bush's favourite dictator in Uzbekistan.

Advertisement