Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding work- how easy you find it?

• 24-03-2005 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Honest to god, over the last few weeks ive dropped in numerous cvs and applications to places in Blanch S.C and my reference havent even recieved one contact. Do people at customer service desks just bin these without passing them on? I handed in a cv to Argos the other day and they said they werent looking for anyone. Other day i see a "single vacancy" sign up, sales assistant or what have ya. So i assume ill be gettin a call soon seein as i just dropped one in 2 days before

Not a dickie bird

Seriously, how long does it take you to find menial workj cos im stumped

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

shane86 wrote:
    Honest to god, over the last few weeks ive dropped in numerous cvs and applications to places in Blanch S.C and my reference havent even recieved one contact. Do people at customer service desks just bin these without passing them on? I handed in a cv to Argos the other day and they said they werent looking for anyone. Other day i see a "single vacancy" sign up, sales assistant or what have ya. So i assume ill be gettin a call soon seein as i just dropped one in 2 days before

Not a dickie bird

Seriously, how long does it take you to find menial workj cos im stumped
    Yeah, it can be a bit mental. The secret it to get to know someone in the place where you want to work. Sowing your CV seed like that just never works. I'll PM you with some places that I deffo know are looking for people, ok.

Don't just hand in CV's - follow them up. People **** up the whole time in these places, possibly misplacing CV's, or just being careless and losing 50 of them sometimes! Who knows, either way if you're aggressive in looking for a job like this, you stand a better chance of getting it (because it shows you want it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

have you tried recruitment agencies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

I'm in the same situtation, countless phone calls have yielded nothing. All I need is a few hours over the weekend or nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

shane86 wrote:
    Do people at customer service desks just bin these without passing them on?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

you have to at least see if you can speak to a manager, sometimes you'll find that they may even interview you on the spot, dont trust the fools at the customer service desk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

paperclip wrote:
    have you tried recruitment agencies?

Exactly - hit a few agencies and let them do the work for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Can you give me a decent link? Any of those jobs sites i looked at before, nearly all the job was for qualified people, nobody under mid 20s welcome kind of thing

Seriously, im 18, im only after minimum wage beer money type of stuff

If i dont get one soon ima do something illegal to make my cream, and blame society at my trial ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Shane, give this crowd a go - www.nixers.com - their site description is:
    Jobs Ireland. Nixers.com - Full and Part-time Jobs in Ireland for young people. Irish jobs in pubs, bars, hotels, restaurants, offices and call centres.

so could be a help

Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

try putting your cv in when the 'vacancy' sign is up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Its a fact that cold calling doesn't work. However networking does. Talk to everyone you know, and you'll fnd someone will know someone who knows where theres work, and they know who to get in touch with. These place get 100's of CV's they can't possibly read them all. Theres also the possibility that a) your CV is crap or b) they have too many better applicants applying. The majority of places don't get back to you these days unless to call you for an interview.

Get the book, what colour is your parachute. It deals with job hunting etc. Its probably in your library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Im having the same problem, sent away to loads of places advertising jobs in the papers and on fas and not heard a thing back. My mate told me to try a recruitment agency, he tried it and they always ring him asking him to work here and there. They take a small percentage of your wages but they get you a job quickly. Try Noel recruitment I was told.

Slunk wrote:
    Im having the same problem, sent away to loads of places advertising jobs in the papers and on fas and not heard a thing back. My mate told me to try a recruitment agency, he tried it and they always ring him asking him to work here and there. They take a small percentage of your wages but they get you a job quickly. Try Noel recruitment I was told.

Actually they take a big chunk, if you work as a contractor then you have to setup as a limited company, sole trader or work through an umbrella company. Which can cost up to 200 a month. Generally agencies take 10-33% of your salary, though you'll never know about it. My experience of agencies is that they don't treat clients that well. All they care about is earning their commission. If that means sending you to inappropriate jobs and interviews then they'll do it. They never ring you back, unless their having a slow day and trawl back through their client database. My experience of most of them is that they are very unprofessional.

These days I expect noone to ring me back unless I've got an interview. These days finding a job is almost a full time job in itself. Theres lots of competition and you have you raise your skilset, experience, CV and interview skills above the hundreds of others you'll completing with. But theres a fine line, because if you oversell yourself you won't get the job either. You have to know what their are looking for and do an appropriate sales pitch. With you as the product.

Incidentally I found my last job on the FAS site. It doesn't get updated that often but they tend to be real jobs, unlike the ones on the agency sites many seem to be fake or repeats of old ads just to harvest CV and make the agency seem busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Interesting points there Ricardo, the thing about Recruitment agencies is that that they build up your hopes about the job, in other words you have it before you even went for the interview, "they are desperate for people" is one line which gets thrown around alot, I don't have a huge amount of faith in them to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

The last couple of jobs i've had have been through agencies.. They never took a % of my pay, first one was a temp job and now i'm in a perm position..

The main thing with agencies is to keep a record of which job you're applying for.. If you're applying for dozens of jobs you'll probably loose track..

This way when they call you about a job you'll no which job, BE SURE to make it clear that you will only be applying for the original position applied for.

There have been so many times where i have applied for a position, the agency call me in for an interview and when i get there they can't even remember what job i applied for, they didn't care, they just wanted to give me a general intereview to see what i'm 'suitable for', this is all well and good but it is such a waste of time:mad:

bonzai bob wrote:
    The last couple of jobs i've had have been through agencies.. They never took a % of my pay, first one was a temp job and now i'm in a perm position.. ...

Of course they did. From the employer. Either as a flat fee or a % of your salary. How do you think they make money? The money the employer pays to them, is money he would pay to you, if you didn't go through an agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

well, no that's not really correct.. if i had applied directly to my job then it doesn't really mean i would have been paid more

bonzai bob wrote:
    well, no that's not really correct.. if i had applied directly to my job then it doesn't really mean i would have been paid more

True the company could have paid you less. But most companies set a budget for a position, not usually haggle at the interview stage. Unless its badly managed company. So bsically the agency is getting part of that budget. The agency don't do it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Umm, thats put a halt to my spending. I heard agencies dont take to much, still get a fairly decent wage. I was thinking i was going to have no trouble getting a job now in a months time when I finish college for the summer. Was just spending whatever I got thinking sure ill have a job soon. You got me thinking. Im not looking for anything particualy skillful, just something to get some cash for the summer.I was told they have loads of warehouse jobs and other such basic jobs. FAS website is fairly decent for jobs but again when you send your cv away they dont get back to you.

If you look at any surveys you'll see that most people get jobs through the grapevine, networking or people or they know. So you should spent 80% of your effort at that. Basically put the word out through friends, relatives and family that you are looking for something. Only spend 20% of your effort on cold calling, job sites etc. Once you are in one job no matter how bad, you will hear from other people of better jobs. So you can jump from one to another.

• Advertisement
Advertisement