Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

devil sticks

Options
  • 24-03-2005 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

hey is there anybody else out there doing devil sticks? i can do all the basics, ie the propeller, the saw, the helicopter and of course throws. anyway what im asking is: is this it? i cant find anymore moves on the internet for devil sticks. it seems to be all just variations of these few moves. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

What I always liked was devil stick tricks with other objects. like instead of using a normal devil stick use something that's off-balance, like a baseball bat or a hurley =0)
    I saw a guy in tralee doing some cool devil stick tricks that involved the devil stick going between his legs and jumping over it.
    I've never done anything but the basics when it comes to devil sticks, so i cant really advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

There was a video at www.shiltons.com from EJC2004 with highlights from practice at the European Juggling Convention in France last year. Its probably still there.
    It is 100MB of stunning juggling, briefly featured a couple of guys doing devilsticks, including tricks with 2 devilsticks, like a propeller in each hand at the same time, then throwing each of the 2 devilsticks up straight from the propellers, a double pirouette, back into propellers.

i think the european juggling convention is coming to ireland soonish - like this year or next year.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Call_Me,Stan

There's a Canadian guy who busks in town, called Stick Man.

He's got some world records in Devil Sticking. He bounces umbrellas,rakes, etc.
    Great guy.

I'd say the next step might to try basic tricks in unconventional ways like seeing if you can do walking, above your head, kneeling down, etc. or try passing with someone else.

a friend of mine used to busk a bit with Stick Man.
    they used to do passing and stuff, was really good.
    I'd like to get a good set of sticks and do a bit more.
    Stick Man is really really good, if a little arrogant =0)
    Unfortunate for thafitz he probably doesnt busk in naas...

• Advertisement

I haven't seen Stick Man in ages.

Do you know how often he goes out?
    cause I wanna do a documentary on buskers in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

larryone wrote:
    Unfortunate for thafitz he probably doesnt busk in naas...

true. surprisingly enough their isnt much busking in the metropolis that is naas :p

I had a french teacher that was from naas. I can still hear that voice in my head. Any "interesting" story she told always began with "I was in sUperquinn in nAAs" in a CKR accent... *shudder*

aye... I havent seen Stick Man in ages either, no idea if he's still around at all. nor have I seen that friend of mine... he's moved to Glasgow. about 50% of his income is from busking. He's pretty good =0)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

larryone wrote:
    I had a french teacher that was from naas. I can still hear that voice in my head. Any "interesting" story she told always began with "I was in sUperquinn in nAAs" in a CKR accent... *shudder*

aye... I havent seen Stick Man in ages either, no idea if he's still around at all. nor have I seen that friend of mine... he's moved to Glasgow. about 50% of his income is from busking. He's pretty good =0)

Tesco's tbh. I bought fire devil sticks on holidays once but they were nicked, anybody know where I could get them in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I saw some yesterday in Visuals.

• Advertisement

try making your own. it's not that hard...
    I know a girl who had her flower stick in her hand luggage going through an airport. it was taken off her. she was really really upset.
    to make a fire devil stick:
    i) buy two of the cheapest pool ques you can find, or go into a pool hall and ask if they have and knackered ones.
    ii) cut to the right length, so each piece tapers identically, and drill down an inch or two into the smaller end.
    iii) get a dowel and some wood glue, and asemble.
    iv) wrap the ends in some thin sheet metal, the thinner the better, and tack it in.
    v) get rubber grip tape for tennis rackets in a sports store, and wrap it over the centre, and out as far as you think the flames wont burn it.
    vi) attach kevlar to the ends using wood screws.

for a normal one, just ignore the metal and the kevlar.
    ....or you could go into visuals on liffey srteet and buy one there. I think its more interesting to make yer own

g'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

devil sticks are fun alright, i can't even do the propellor properly myself(as in keep it going indefinitely), why don't you try spinning it around your body, i saw this guy once and he did a saw under his legs, the devil stick came up over his back and when it came down he juggled it with the two handsticks like they were clubs, real cool, i seem to remember a trick called "the curl" being mentioned somewhere on the net, it could be used to whip the devilstick around your back, leg, arm etc. If i was able to do the propellor and the saw and the helicopter well i would just mess around with those, freestyle.

anyway, happy devilsticking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

somewhat confused... devil sticks are the long sticks with a wick at each end arent they? so fire clubs are the shrter clubs with a wick on one end? any idea how much a set of clubs would cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vulcan2050

check this guy:

www.stixguru.com/

should keep you going for a while :)

not quite.
    Long stick with wicks both ends = Fire staff. twirled with hands. great fun.
    Short stick with wick one end = Fire Club. juggled. also great fun.
    Devil stick is a little longer than the bog standard club. at the ends they're about 4cm diameter, but tapering in towards the centre, where it's thinner... It's controlled by two hand sticks, and manipulated into various movements

Ah right cool thanks. So how much will fire clubs set you back, i think Visuals sell them don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 loafer's glory

I made my own clubs a while back. In a shop I think they'd cost about €60 each, not sure. It could be more like €30 each. But that's still €90.

The ones I made cost €28, total. Everyone says they're really weird to juggle. They spin about a point much nearer the wick than usual. But then everybody also says they love them. They're light too, about 200g each. Most proper fire clubs I know of are way too heavy.

Actually, ever the engineering student I worked out where the centre of gravity would be and what the moment of inertia would be, depending on how much metal I put at the top. And plotted some pretty little graphs in Excel...

anyways. here's what I did:

Get 5' of broom handle, and cut it in 3 equal parts, 20" each.

Get some shower rail or aluminium mop handle or something like that. I used 1" diameter chrome plated steel pipe. It cost about €9. Cut it to three lengths of about 7" each (All my calculations and graphs led me to conclude 7". It worked fine). This is tough. I blunted a hacksaw and barely made a scratch in one of them. In the end I got a guy in the UCD mechanical engineering labs to do it for me.

About 1.5" - 2" from one end of the 7" pipe, drill a hole. I found the best way to do this was to get a hammer and nail, make a dent in the pipe, sit the drill bit into that little pit and start drilling (don't come at it with the drill already spinning or it'll just slip off the pipe surface).

Slot a length of metal pipe over the end of one of your 20" sticks. You might need to whittle the stick down first, again I got the guy in the mech eng labs to lathe it for me. It should be a snug fit so the heads don't rattle about in the clubs. The end of the pipe with the hole in it should be towards the edge.

Buy 1m of kevlar wicking (Visuals, Art & Hobby Shop. €10). It should be about 30 - 40 mm wide. Cut it into 3 equal lengths.

Wrap a length of kevlar around the metal of the club, over the hole. Tuck the last inch or so back under (not outside) to form a seam. Line up this doubled-up seam section with the hole. Screw a wood screw straight down through the kevlar (catching the underneath part of the seam), through the hole in the metal, and into the wood, where it will grip. This can be tricky to line up right. Put a washer on the screw too, so the kevlar doesn't slip up around it.

Repeat for the other two clubs.

@loafer's glory

could you post a pic of the end product maybe? that'd be great, cheers mate! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

yeah, wow! fairplay, thanks a million for the instructions, i am absolutely positive that will come in handy for me once i've worked up the nerve to play with fire:D:D:D
    thanks a million, that is great.

Evil Phil wrote:
    Tesco's tbh. I bought fire devil sticks on holidays once but they were nicked, anybody know where I could get them in Ireland?

Today, in Visual on Liffey Street, I saw on a fire devil stick for €35.

I got my own beutiful flower stick in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Olivier

Hi !

First post here.
    I can help you a bit with some websites where you may find vids on.
    A very good one for tricks is devilstick.de . Many tricks well explained in english with small videos played in the page.
    Here are three links towards vids from french people including mine. Hope you'll enjoy it ! Ok i know some tricks are quite advanced but it should give you enough material for the next years. Mjchael - Paris
    Olivier - in the Netherlands
    Jeannotmer - Paris

Don't hesitate to spread those vids if you know people who don't know what to do with the devilsticks !
    Salut !
    Olivier

Advertisement