Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merlin Classic Car Auction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

If anybody here goes to the auction, could you let me know what these two cars sell for ............

Alfa Romeo Alfetta 1983
    Datsun 180B 1977

Interestingly, the Datsun is unregistered, and looks like a recent japanese import (note front wing mirrors) ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

mmmm alfetta, they were bloody rare when new, which lasted about a week here thanks to the rubbish italian rustproofing of the time.... tasty.

its on uk plates too so add 315 for the VRT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

Naamloos-17_355x219.jpg

Alfa%20Romeo%20Alfetta%202,0%20QV%20oro.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Would be interested to hear what the Golf GTI went for too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

what a joke 15 f...n cars for sale,300 cars,lying b.....s,what a waist of time :mad: 5 euro in for fu.k all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

yep it was a fcuking joke, only 10-15 classics there, and had to get thru 280 other cars to see them lol.
    not sure what the alfetta went for i never noted ur post b4 sorry.
    really was major disappointing. on their website it says "PLUS MANY MORE!" but the joke was that was it! there were no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Could any tell me what the corolla went for and what type of condition was it in.

Delta_ie wrote:
    Could any tell me what the corolla went for and what type of condition was it in.

beats me. i know one thing i wouldnt be buying a car there for sure. in the uk u have 1 hour to test the car after the auction to see if it is as described. not so with merlin. so essentially i could buy say that shadow that was bid to 18 grand(nice car but 2 grand over the top) and still pay merlin 6% fees on top and 150 euro for indemnity and could take the car out and the gearbox lets say would be knackered,it is impossible to test this without a test drive. or the hydraulic suspension could be fcuked, its impossible to know. 9/10 of the cars there have no history at all. why would u even remotely consider buying a car at auction unless u were brain dead? that is why there were no real classics entered this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I too would be very reluctant to purchase from an auction (even a modern car!).

It strikes me as a bit strange why any enthusiast would put their car in an auction when they would most likely get a much higher price through a private sale ?!

Unless of course they got the car very cheaply or it has a major fault !

surely there isnt any ropey cars at the auctions :D:D:D just honest punters selling there cars for below the book price :p :cool:

• Advertisement

was looking at a modern cars at merlin b4 the classic were 'auctioned' and one was a 2001 vw polo with 35000 miles. good car ud think except the gearbox was gone (as it said so on the window tag) also the whole left hand side was dogyily resprayed with overspray on the rubbers and a very very rough feel from the paint as if the respray wasnt even laquered.for some reason with the doors not quite fitting rite and the rear passanger door not even closing and having to repeatadly slam it to close it. now the milage read 35000 but the stearing wheel was as bald as an egg so id say it had done 90-100k miles actually.

so how much did this pos car sell for? 6grand including fees. that car would have taken 3 grand to put right minimum due to the structural damage. worth it? i think not.

where do they get these cars from? thats what i want to know.

lomb wrote:
    was looking at a modern cars at merlin b4 the classic were 'auctioned' and one was a 2001 vw polo with 35000 miles. good car ud think except the gearbox was gone (as it said so on the window tag) also the whole left hand side was dogyily resprayed with overspray on the rubbers and a very very rough feel from the paint as if the respray wasnt even laquered.for some reason with the doors not quite fitting rite and the rear passanger door not even closing and having to repeatadly slam it to close it. now the milage read 35000 but the stearing wheel was as bald as an egg so id say it had done 90-100k miles actually.

so how much did this pos car sell for? 6grand including fees. that car would have taken 3 grand to put right minimum due to the structural damage. worth it? i think not.

where do they get these cars from? thats what i want to know.
    :eek: the best way to learn is the hard way :eek: iv got stung before ;) u learn fast when its ur money been robbed :D 90 percent of the people are dealers there ;) and the rest just think there geting a bargain :D:D :mad:

yep going to car auctions is a great way to see the true underbelly of the motoring industry. what was really funny was i saw a 2002 e270cdi sold there for 42000 including fees and it was keyed all down one side, was dented on the other sidfe on the quarter panel quite badly and the front bumper was gone. the revenue reakon the car is worth 40grand in perfect shape why did this ropey car go for 42?i could have bought that car in the uk for 30k euro including expenses and shipping and paid 11 grand vrt and had a perfect motor for 41k with full history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Because theres one born every minute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Because theres one born every minute.
    But there must at least two there to bid against each other... :D

But there must at least two there to bid against each other... :D

i think they make bids up until it reaches near the reserve so they can either outright sell it or provisional sale sell it.
    its no good if there is only one person interested then it goes no where near the reserve and they make nothing off it except the 40euro+vat entry fee.

all very dubious, if u buy there u need to know what ur doing, inspect the car thouroughly and fix a maximum mental price. also inquire in advance what the reserve is, and DO check the previous history. many of the finance house cars are a good enough buy so if u do ur homework u could be good to go.

Advertisement