Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My UTV contract is up this month...

• 24-03-2005 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

I've been with Clicksilver since April 30th last year. Once I decided to go with them, i was activated and my modem sent out without any major delay. I will admit that for the first quarter speeds and "always on" was a bit iffy, but other than that I've no major complaints. I opted for the 16 gig cap as i was sharing the connection with my house mate (after buying a 2nd hand zyxel with 4 lan ports) now with a new house mate just moved in we're up to 3 users with no problems. The UTV telephony isnt bad either as i'm calling the states quite often (my gf is studying there) and the calls are cheaper than €ircon. So with my contract up for renewal this month, I thought i'd ask for advice.

At this point is it worth sticking with UTV for another year? the new free evening and weekend calls are tempting, but with other providers upping their speeds, i'm tempted to try another ISP.

I cant get Smart as i have phonewatch.

I may be gaming this year (wasnt last year) as i just got an xbox, i've heard pings for gaming with UTV are not the best?

I'm not in a rush to go with €ircon as i have heard many horror stories.

I would also like the option of going wireless at some point

So, the bottom line is I need advice from you veterans on this board! stick with UTV or head to pastures new?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

AFAIK
    you do not have to sign a new contract so you can leave when you want by giving the standard notice (1 month i think) so you can stay with utv with the option of leaving on short notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I wouldn't stick to a particular ISP just because they have good rates on their phone service. Have you looked into VoIP? I've seen rates as low as €0.02/min with USA. Mind you, that's as cheap as eircom's local rates off peak!

Cheers,
    JP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

Somebody could clarify this for me.
    Contract ends 1st of April, still no sign of new products, absolutley nothing. How can u sign the contract again, if the 24 of March we still have no information?

thanx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Subc wrote:
    Somebody could clarify this for me.
    Contract ends 1st of April, still no sign of new products, absolutley nothing. How can u sign the contract again, if the 24 of March we still have no information?

thanx

You don't sign a contract again. Once the 12 month contract ends you are on a rolling 1 month contract. Its the same for all the major isps afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Withour wanting to start another dreaded upgrades thread (which will be closed), the Eircom upgrades will apply to the wholesale packages which are resold by UTV. If you read the thread linked below you'll find that they have upgrades planned for April. Stick with your 1 month rolling contract and you should get an equivalent package to elsewhere without a long term tie in.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=238351

• Advertisement
Advertisement