Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Trade-in Value

Options
  • 24-03-2005 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be able to shed some light on how much a Playstation 2 would get in a trade in? Game or Gamestop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

Better off selling it on here or B+S for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You'd probably get 80 quid at the pawn shop on talbot street for the console itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would it have to be in its box etc?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I got €80 in Gamestop. And no, you dont need the box....

best 80 euro u ever made!? And do you need to give two controllers too or just the console itself? Do they take your games too?!

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote:
    best 80 euro u ever made!? And do you need to give two controllers too or just the console itself? Do they take your games too?!

Yep, as the Disc read errors started appearing! €80 was around christmas so i cant confirm its the same now.

You only need one controller, and they take games also. However they dont give much...

I was offered €1 for GTA:Vice City!!

Bull****!

1 Euro! Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Hm might trade in the Console on its own and sell off the games. ffs, €1 for Vice City, for that price they might aswell kick you in the balls and pull your armpit hair while there at it. Dont really want to have to go through the hassling of the whole sale process though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Hm might trade in the Console on its own and sell off the games. ffs, €1 for Vice City, for that price they might aswell kick you in the balls and pull your armpit hair while there at it. Dont really want to have to go through the hassling of the whole sale process though.

yeah, it's **** all but they are trying to make profit on it. Imagine the masses of VC that came in when SA came out (I'm sure they got as many as we did). Same goes for any sports title that's released on a annual basis, such as Fifa or Pro Evo

flogen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hey Axel, trading in a machine you know to be faulty, thats a pretty lousy thing to do, isn't it?
    Surprised there hasn't been any other reaction to that,
    I mean you could have been the next guy into the store to pick it up,
    and at Christmas too, maybe its ok to do it there, after all wouldn't want to tarnish your rep offloading it on boards.ie would we?

What do other people think of his behaviour, seeing as he brought it up?
    How would it feel to hand a neice/nephew, son/daughter a PS2 only to find its faulty at christmas and having to wait to get a replacement that itself will have to wait til they get another 2nd hand machine in?

Immoral behaviour, probably said to himself "Its Gamestops problem now"
    Louser

• Advertisement

It is Gamestops problem actually. If Gamestop are dishing out the cash for ps2's then that is their problem and they should guarantee and give some kind of warranty on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Gamestop do give a warranty. Think it is 3 or 6 months, atleast that what it was when I bought a xbox there.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Hey Axel, trading in a machine you know to be faulty, thats a pretty lousy thing to do, isn't it?
    Surprised there hasn't been any other reaction to that,
    I mean you could have been the next guy into the store to pick it up,
    and at Christmas too, maybe its ok to do it there, after all wouldn't want to tarnish your rep offloading it on boards.ie would we?

What do other people think of his behaviour, seeing as he brought it up?
    How would it feel to hand a neice/nephew, son/daughter a PS2 only to find its faulty at christmas and having to wait to get a replacement that itself will have to wait til they get another 2nd hand machine in?

Immoral behaviour, probably said to himself "Its Gamestops problem now"
    Louser

Eh yeah thanks.

The disk read errors only occurred when playing GTA:SA (Apparently a known issue with 'old' ps2's). Before this i had absolutly no problems with playing any other games. I traded it in and got a slimline PS2 in the same transaction :)

Anyway they have my number if anything was wrong with it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

CiDeRmAn wrote:

Would you ever grow up of course he should have done it and if you bought it from a shop second hand you should expect that its not going to last as long as a new one. Imagine buying a car and going back to the person you bought it from 2 months ago cause it dosnt work now and you blame him for wareing it out. If you buy something second hand its up to you to make sure its working, once the money has passed the seller does not have to provide any warrenty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Grow up Kristok?
    Don't be a twat!
    He never specified that the problem was intermittent and certainly seemed to be taking some delight in offloading a broken machine.
    Its crap, he sold a machine that was breaking down to Gamestop, that problem will only be noted after some other customer takes it home and tries to use it.
    Its still a lousy thing to do and I seriously doubt that any of you would be quite so calm and laid back about it if it was your recently bought machine that exhibited problems.
    No, he shouldn't have done it.
    And you should expect even 2nd hand goods to perform their function, not to have disk error faults right out of the box.
    Its just really sad to see a bunch of people so ok with screwing someone else.
    And from your tone I guess you think that its no problem at all to screw Gamestop too.
    Very sad indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Would you ever grow up of course he should have done it

Grow up? Is selling back faulty consoles is a mature thing to do? :rolleyes:
    if you bought it from a shop second hand you should expect that its not going to last as long as a new one.

Theres a big difference between not expecting a console to last as long as a new one, and actually receiving a second hand console thats already faulty

How anybody could side with axel is beyond me; selling a faulty console whatever way you look at it is plain low. For all you know it ended up as some kids present on christmas morning - and a faulty present at that. Even if gamestop offer a warranty, the fact that you gave in a bad console hardly constitutes "their problem". I mean some people, ffs :rolleyes:

As Ciderman said, hope you aren't planning on selling anything on boards...

Who gives second hand presents ?!? I mean im as cheap as you can get and i wouldnt even give someone a second hand present.

If the shop are willing to accept it then thats their fault, ps2's are known to get that read error thing and shops know it. Its no like he said i sold it to a kid and it broke muhaha, he sold it to a shop who didnt care, if he had sold it here he probably could have got more. Get real lads this is the way of the world if you dont like it then dont buy second hand cause your taking a risk if you do. I think he did a very good thing selling it to a shop and not selling it directly to someone which he would have been entitled to and if the person he sold it too didnt check it then that would have been tough luck for them.

If the shop are willing to accept it then thats their fault, ps2's are known to get that read error thing and shops know it. Its no like he said i sold it to a kid and it broke muhaha, he sold it to a shop who didnt care, if he had sold it here he probably could have got more. Get real lads this is the way of the world if you dont like it then dont buy second hand cause your taking a risk if you do. I think he did a very good thing selling it to a shop and not selling it directly to someone which he would have been entitled to and if the person he sold it too didnt check it then that would have been tough luck for them.

Stores accept second hand consoles on the basis that they work correctly without errors. I have no idea what kind of area you live in or what you consider acceptable in terms of the standards of second hand goods but in the "real world", second hand and for sale means that it is a previously used item in good working order, not a previously used working order that they charge €90 and say "fingers crossed it works for you, mate!"

There is so much more I could say but why bother wasting my breath, all I can say is, If either of you two are EVER selling anything on boards in the future.... :rolleyes:

all I can say is, If either of you two are EVER selling anything on boards in the future.... :rolleyes:

Yea father sorry ill go to confession now. I never said ive done it but i dont think he is evil for doing it. I did sell a ps2 on boards before and there was nothing wrong with it (acutally barly used) but if there had have been id have no problem offloading it to a shop, you seem to be forgetting that the shop give a warrenty on them and he said there was only read problems with san andreas (which reads constantly from the dvdrom)

Its nice to see people get up on their thrown and pass judgement on others, you know some of us cant just write off a ps2 and say ah well ill just buy a new one sure its only 150 quid.

• Advertisement

Its nice to see people get up on their thrown and pass judgement on others, you know some of us cant just write off a ps2 and say ah well ill just buy a new one sure its only 150 quid.

Ever hear of maybe getting it repaired?

Oh sorry, I didnt realise that calling someone lousy for flogging a not 100% working console for 80 quid was getting up on my throne and passing judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

so you rather dump the problem on some poor unsuspecting sap instead
    Maybe you wouldn't have a problem off loading it to a shop..but someone else, who, like yourself doesn't just have 150 lying around to buy a replacement, gets saddled with your piece of junk...??

where exactly does it say that you have to provide them with a 100% working console, they dont even check all they do is look at the outside and see if there are any major dents on it etc. You go buy a second hand ps2 then your asking for problems, even if he didnt know there was anything wrong with it and traded it in the fact that its old mean that this problem will eventually come up. But more importantly they check them out for problems and give you a guarantee for 3 months or something like that, noone is going to get one home and find its not working you guys are making it out like he was selling something that was in bits and pretending it was fine.

I think this should really be cintinued over in the humanities section or something its not really a gameing issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Caveat Emptor

If Games shops buy consoles they should check them for more than just cosmetic appearence.

As for who would buy a 2nd hand console...doesn't anyone recall the huge shortage of PS2s in the country in the run up to xmas?
    I'm sure many a cajoled parent would have paid up for whatever they could get for little jonny.
    If it broke that was the game shop's fault, as sh*tty as that might have been for little jonny. Who's to say that new consoles can't develop a fault a few minutes after being truned on on chgristmas morning? Does that make SonyCorp deceitful bastards too??

Does that make SonyCorp deceitful bastards too??

Considering such an event would happen without Sonys specific awareness, hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wertz wrote:
    Caveat Emptor

If Games shops buy consoles they should check them for more than just cosmetic appearence.
    Erm, where I work we test all PS2 consoles with both CD and DVD discs before we accept them as a trade-in. I actually rejected one myself the other day because it didn't read CD-ROM games (blue discs). (It was one of the really old SCPH-30003 models)

It is a gaming issue, it relates how we gamers behave to each other and shows that there are other ethical arguements to have relating to our hobby other than the usual one about age ratings and kids who play GTA.

I used to work in Gamesworld years ago and the amount of ****e people tried to offload on us, megadrives with cracked casings, stained Snes' with the faint scent of cheese/bovril and of course the PS1 that never loaded anything and when you pointed out the non-working nature of the console theywould look faintly troubled and ay it worked just fine at home, playing a copy of Actua Golf that looked like it was used as a DJs slipmat.

Y

It is a gaming issue, it relates how we gamers behave to each other and shows that there are other ethical arguements to have relating to our hobby other than the usual one about age ratings and kids who play GTA.

I used to work in Gamesworld years ago and the amount of ****e people tried to offload on us, megadrives with cracked casings, stained Snes' with the faint scent of cheese/bovril and of course the PS1 that never loaded anything and when you pointed out the non-working nature of the console theywould look faintly troubled and ay it worked just fine at home, playing a copy of Actua Golf that looked like it was used as a DJs slipmat.

By going into a shop selling a console that is not working you are, at the very least, ripping them off, if not the end user who has to bring the thing back.
    If you are happy to do that then say it and be done with it.
    If you did it but thought it was not harming anyone, think again.
    If you did it and felt a little guilty then Welcome To The Human Race, play fair in future.
    Perhaps the overall discussion here will prompt people to think a little harder about ripping other folk off.

And given the state of consumer electronics and thr rigorous testing of console batches as they come off the production line it seems highly unlikely that a faulty machine would emerge for sale very often, and if it did the warranty would cover everything.

Don't think a ropey PS2 sold to the store quite compares in this instance, do you?

why are you so bothered do you own a game shop or something ?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

I think he's bothered because at the end of the day someone gets ripped off, either the store or the consumer

Advertisement