Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Trade-in Value

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Erm, where I work we test all PS2 consoles with both CD and DVD discs before we accept them as a trade-in. I actually rejected one myself the other day because it didn't read CD-ROM games (blue discs). (It was one of the really old SCPH-30003 models)

I'm very happy for you.

My point wasn't aimed at games stores and it wasn't defending the issue CiDeRmAn is PMSing over either.

Hypothetically I could offload my 3yr old PS2 tomorrow. It all works fine, never a single problem. That's not to say that it couldn't f*ck up a few days/weeks after the game store resell it. Does that put me at fault? Does it put the store at fault? Or is it the customer's fault?
    I would assume any 2nd hand console is sold with some sort of limited warranty. If it's faulty when someone goes to offload it, store should spot that (See Rainbow Kirby's fine work for examples of this) and refuse to purchase.

I say again, Caveat Emptor. For everyone involved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

If you trade in a car they give you the book value and dont even bother looking under the bonnot (well thats been my experience) if that car is not safe to drive on the road and they sell it its their fault for not making sure it was fine before selling it on and if something happens to the person who bought it the onus is not on me for trading it in its on the dealer for selling it on again. Its the same thing, if game etc dont check it properly before selling it on then they and they alone are at fault. That is the way it is seen in the eyes of the law so forget all your chicken and the egg scenarios. Anything further is not for the games board its a moral issue and nothing to do with games other than he said ps2 instead of kettle or something else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No I don't own a gameshop, but I have been a customer of one or another for the last 21 years or so and worked in one in my spare time for the crack for about 3 years.
    My day job has nothing to do with gaming, and after my wife and son gaming is my passion.
    I always was aware of giving people good choices and reccomendations when I worked in Gamesworld and find it ridiculous that you would defend trading in a faulty console, there simply is no defence.
    Its a moral and ethical issue sure but pertains to my and a lot of readers gaming interests.

The question remains, would you sell such a machine to a person you knew?
    Would you have sold it to somebody related to you on the run up to christmas?
    If no is it then ok to sell it to a shop where you can just walk away?
    If no to the the two former questions then its no to the latter one.

Hard to legistlate for people chancing their arm selling faulty goods, sure the store has a job to test every product they buy in but don't you have a job to ensure you only sell on goods that are capable of fulfilling the role you say they are capable of doing.

This issue is important to me and others as here we have a forum where many gaming items change hands every week.
    If people took the attitude that the seller can be as deceitful as they want once it goes unchecked by the purchaser then the community here would fall apart as that trust is lost. This trust is paramount here on the boards. Little is more important given the casual and friendly nature of the site.

If you don't like reading this material on the games board then stop reading it.
    I think a little adult debate is refreshing compared to all the usual good natured haggling and info requests, anyone else agree?

And wertz, PMSing?
    What would you know about PMSing?
    Nice to see a little teenage abuse leaking onto the boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

You dont get adult debate here because noone cares, if you cant see a difference between selling to a company and a person then there is no point in anyone talking about this.

Let it go dude your moral high ground is boring me no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

CiDeRmAn wrote:

And wertz, PMSing?
    What would you know about PMSing?
    Nice to see a little teenage abuse leaking onto the boards.

Well without turning this into flaming, I'm no teen, nor have I been in many a moon. Sorry if I come across that way.
    I've no wish to know about PMS...it's bad enough having to put up with it every lunar cycle...

Your point on selling on a forum is invalid...a buyer on a forum has no way of checking the goods till either they've bought them or have seen them first hand.
    A game shop is different...they are there with the sole intention of running a business and creating a profit, therefore the onus is on them to ensure a quality product.

I in no way condone selling dodgy/faulty/crap stuff be it games consoles, or anything else for that matter, to anyone.
    Neither do I condone trying to pawn it off to "poor unsuspecting games stores" :rolleyes: But the fact is sh*t happens...

All I said is that in the situation where someone does, if they get away with it that's the games store's fault, regardless. If they intend to sell it onwards, at a profit, then their QC should be up to scratch. If it is/was then we wouldn't be having this debate (?) which at this stage probably belongs in personal issues :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Kristok wrote:
    You dont get adult debate here because noone cares, if you cant see a difference between selling to a company and a person then there is no point in anyone talking about this.

There is no difference - legally, as the seller, you're required by law to ensure that anything you sell to someone works for the purpose it is intended for. The fact that someone doesn't assume you to be a toerag and therefore test everything minutely before paying does not exonerate you from this.

Are you trying to say it's ok to sell it to a company because their profit margins can take it? Who, exactly, do you think run such companies, if not people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Sorry to interupt lads, but does anyone actually know the trade-in value of a PS2 at this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I got 50 a few months ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Still 50 in GAME, unless you're doing a trade for cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Trade for cash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

In other words, sell.

Advertisement