Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Packet capture...

• 24-03-2005 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a packet capture tool for windows XP, that can capture packets on the local loop...

i tried ethereal and several others, non of them like the local loop..

i know this is possible in linux, but linux is giving me way too much unexplainable trouble for me to get into..

free pot o' gold for the person who finds/programs this tool!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Define local loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Packets from the localhost to localhost (127.0.0.1)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try Windump (windows version of tcpdump) - though I don't think it does
    windump -D lists adaptors
    windump -i 1 selects number one etc.
    not sure if adding the Microsoft Loopback Adaptor would help but you never know

[edit - it uses the same capture mechanism as etherial so prob not]

have a look on microsofts site for thier own non promiscus sniffer (sp)

Thanks for the response capt'n midnight, but i think ill just have to spend the next few hours reinstalling linux and try that, .. most responses to this question on the web end up in "install linux :P" ..

Most of the packet capture tools for windows Use WinPCap..
    and having looked on microsoft i couldnt see anything useful..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=892853 - sniffer detector LOL

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294818 - Network Monitor

Network analyzers that run on NT include 3COM's Transcend LANsentry Manager, McAfee's Expert Sniffer Network Analyzer and Distributed Sniffer System (DSS), AXON's LANServant Manager, NetScout Systems' NetScout Manager Plus, and Compuware's EcoSCOPE.

• Advertisement

Thanks again captain, i had a look at/for all of those tools,
    Only one of the microsoft tools was available for download and afair (im extremely tired) it doesnt pick up packets just notes their existance or something to that effect, i couldnt find "Expert Sniffer Network Analyzer"
    or "Expert Sniffer Network Analyzer" on macafees website/

This one "NetScout Systems' NetScout Manager Plus" (i think) was very good, like ethereal but didnt pick up packets off the localhost loop thing..

and i couldnt find this "Compuware's EcoSCOPE" although i didnt look to hard ...
    im extremely tired and i think im just gonna install the old warty ubuntu ..
    i've installed about 15 packet capture/analysis tools today at least..
    some of them were class. .but ..not what i needed..

nothing quit beats ethereal, especially since its free(ish) ..

Advertisement