Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splinter Cell 3 IGN Review

Options
  • 24-03-2005 6:23pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/598/598423p1.html

Gave it a very high 9.6

Is it just me or was this release fairly low key, especially since MGS3 just came ou with a fanfare and tv support the lot - maybe i missed something but I wasn't expecting it for ages then bam, review posted.

Looks the cheese, I have the second one but never found the time to give it the attention it deserved, anyone out there dying for this one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Is it out already? :S

Ebgames has it for release on Monday and play has it available now.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yeah, played the demo. I'm a big Thief fan, so I'm really looking forward to it. From the reviews I've read, seems like this could be the best one in the series so far. Unusual for a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Do people still read IGN reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

is this out?
    I've been waiting for this game to hit the shelves.... do GAME have it?
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

solid.must get it for the PC. cant beat mouse control.

MP should be pretty damn good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,345 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

saw a bit on games programme looks class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

So 8.6 score its gold for US and PAl not available yet anywhere ;)

kdjac

Its out worldwide on Monday according to most places.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Thorbar wrote:
    Do people still read IGN reviews?
    Whats wrong with ign reviews??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I played the pc demo of this. Excellent game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

L5 wrote:
    I played the pc demo of this. Excellent game
    01/04/2005 is what I have from UbiSoft's latest email release schedule (Wednesday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

monument wrote:
    01/04/2005 is what I have from UbiSoft's latest email release schedule (Wednesday).

no, there was definately a demo released about 3 weeks ago. try fileplanet . 3dgamers etc..

edit..

http://www.fileplanet.com/150450/150000/fileinfo/Splinter-Cell:-Chaos-Theory-Singleplayer-Demo

Whats wrong with ign reviews??

They lean towards the companies who have those lovely banners a bit too much.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Sometimes I wonder if the Devolpers write their review of their game and pay IGN to put it up on their site. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ah, normally they are within line of the press average mark they give on the right of each review. Without bias, I can say any game i've bought with their recommendation has turned out a good one.

But hey, everyone has their own review site they take to..What would you recommend for reviews kdjac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

Looks like its in stock and available to buy on www.play.com already.Can't afford to get it myself this week :mad: .

eurogamer or 1up.com are generally what I'd read. Gamespot is good for info but I don't know if I trust their reviews fully either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Anyone ever watch the video reviews at Gamespot? I used to watch gaming shows just to see the games in action etc. but lately I just dont bother and instead check out the video review at Gamespot. On average they're around 7-8 minutes, where as most video game shows will give about 90 seconds to a game review.

I think IGN is a terrible site so I cant comment on their reviews. They seem to cover just about everything they consider "cool". Gamespot stick to just gaming things and does a very good job. Another good thing about Gamespot reviews is that you can see the readers review score right beside it, and generally the readers will give a higher score than the Gamespot reviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Theres onlt one review site you need

http://www.metacritic.com/games/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

L5 wrote:
    no, there was definately a demo released about 3 weeks ago. try fileplanet . 3dgamers etc..[/url]

Woops, I pressed quick reply on the wrong post, that should have read...
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Its out worldwide on Monday according to most places.

01/04/2005 (which is next Friday) is what I have from UbiSoft's latest email release schedule (Wednesday).

Correction, I think 1up.com have sold their soul to Sony, read their pimp my psp article its almost like watching fox news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

So is it as good as anything Metal Gear Solid gave us? Was going to buy it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Don't know too much about the single player but the co-op mode is class. It has about 5 missions that were solely made for two players. You have to use each other to get things done so it's good fun. Plus you can do it on "elite" which means you don't get any ammo.

So is it as good as anything Metal Gear Solid gave us? Was going to buy it today.
    There both quite different games. Both worth buying IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Yeah, MGS and Splinter Cell are totally different. The only reason people draw comparisons is due to the stealth aspect. Personally I absolutely hate MGS but think Splinter Cell is class. The third one is well worth a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

bazH wrote:
    Theres onlt one review site you need

http://www.metacritic.com/games/

That'd be a good idea except it goes against one core element of my personal philosophy on critiquing. Most people are wrong ;)

Cheers all.

Any more?

Started playing it and - as a Splinter Cell virgin upto now - Im finding even the early stages tough and the layout of the controller not great. Still a good game having said that.

Is there any way to get the view point done automatically? Precious seconds are wasted doing this with the right paddler control. Minor quibbles aside Im enjoying it ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement