Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Customs called round last night

Options
  • 24-03-2005 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Just a warning to anyone living in the republic driving northern or english reg cars. Theres a big clamp down on this at the moment seemingly especially up in Donegal. I had a visit last night from a customs and excise officer at around 10pm.

I drive a northern focus, now i have a northern address and its taxed and insured there and all but this isn't enough (i already knew before he called round i've been dodging VRT for the past 9 months) anyway i don't see the point in bringing the car in because a) i haven't the money at the moment and b) i'm going to be living in the north in 2 months time anyway.

Short and the long of it is i've been given 7 days to bring the car in and after that it will be seized or so he told me. So just a warning to you all out there, i wasn't the only one done my whole estate was. I thought i was bad but my mate has an Evo VII which costs over 11 grand to bring in!

I've now left the car at my address in the north so it can't be lifted and its going to be sold whilst i buy some old run about to do me for the next 2 months.

I was talking to a man on the inside today and he told me that theres a big clamp down at the moment so watch out, the customs are about!

Farlz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Farls wrote:
    Theres a big clamp down on this at the moment

Good. I'm sick and tired of paying other people's taxes as well as my own :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

unkel wrote:

VRT is an absolute rip off in this country, its ridiculous when you see how cheap you can buy a car for up the north, its a complete farse that the irish government were allowed impose vrt, on cars coming from the eu. hard luck farls, thanks be to jaysus people like unkel (polition in disguise) are not running the world, so unkel you just worry about your own taxes and not anybody elses or we'll have to see if your bertie ahern in disguise LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

unkel wrote:

Me too

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

unkel and crowded house, i honestly don't think your paying my taxes, or anyone elses.

Thumper i'm with your view on this. Seeminly the state pays a fine every year because charging VRT in the EU is illegal, the reason they do this is because they make more money on VRT than the fine costs them.

It really is a joke.

Farls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

unkel wrote:

what tax?

• Advertisement

if we could convince people not to buy new cars, and hold on to their current car or buy secondhand for the next few years, that would hurt them big time, i refuse to buy a brand new car, i worked in the motor industry and when you see how much the government gets from each new car between, vat and vrt never mind what they make off petrol, it would make you sick. if i could get away with registering a car up north and getting insured through the north id give it a go, :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Farls wrote:
    Just a warning to anyone living in the republic driving northern or english reg cars. Theres a big clamp down on this at the moment seemingly especially up in Donegal. I had a visit last night from a customs and excise officer at around 10pm.

I drive a northern focus, now i have a northern address and its taxed and insured there and all but this isn't enough (i already knew before he called round i've been dodging VRT for the past 9 months) anyway i don't see the point in bringing the car in because a) i haven't the money at the moment and b) i'm going to be living in the north in 2 months time anyway.

Short and the long of it is i've been given 7 days to bring the car in and after that it will be seized or so he told me. So just a warning to you all out there, i wasn't the only one done my whole estate was. I thought i was bad but my mate has an Evo VII which costs over 11 grand to bring in!

I've now left the car at my address in the north so it can't be lifted and its going to be sold whilst i buy some old run about to do me for the next 2 months.

I was talking to a man on the inside today and he told me that theres a big clamp down at the moment so watch out, the customs are about!

Farlz

do u have a uk driving license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Farls wrote:
    Just a warning to anyone living in the republic driving northern or english reg cars.

Kinda says it all really. If you live in this Republic and import a vehicle then its your due and duty to pay up like it or not! I'm as agin VRT as the next man trust me, but until the law changes its to be paid.

Thumper Long I too have mused about ppl hanging on to thier cars for an extra year to two and so killing off VRT as the revenue stream dries up but we'd have to convince all those with more cheap credit access than sense - and company car types...though the financial controller of said companies would proberly be happy enough.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

mike65 wrote:
    Kinda says it all really. If you live in this Republic and import a vehicle then its your due and duty to pay up like it or not! I'm as agin VRT as the next man trust me, but until the law changes its to be paid

If there's less money going into the kitty because of tax evasion the rest of us are going to have to make up the shortfall.

Right now I'm looking at a little coloured disc that I got in the post today which cost me €511 I dont enjoy paying that but if I want to use my car on the road it has to be on the windscreen.

Seven Worlds will Collide

mike65, you say if you live here and import a vehicle...the problem being that i like most people don't want to import the vehicle.

As for the price of road tax down here, my car is a 1.6 and its exactly half the price in the north as it is in the south.

Insurance too is a hell of a lot cheaper.

And also just about the point on new cars, i was looking at a new focus there and they cost just over 16 thousand VAT + VRT free, when you add the VAT + VRT on it comes to over 24 thousand, thats over 8 thousand euro on government taxes etc...

My advice to anyone that wants to buy a good car, say a car that will cost over 5 thousand to clear is too rent a complete dive in the north, you'll have your address then and all your bills and can ultimately live there, rent will also be cheaper for a year than bringing the car in.

Farlz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

It's about time they started clamping down on this, there are too many people doing it.

lomb - i don't have a UK driving licence, have to wait another month till i fullfill the criteria for getting one :)

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Left if 5 months to VRT my car - managed to save about 2 grand, would leave it longer next time... the tax has been declared illegal by the EU, bunch of cowboys over here still get away with charging it...
    It's about time they started clamping down on this, there are too many people doing it.

Why?? Do yellow reg plates insult your taste or something? it doesn't effect you in the least bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kdevitt wrote:
    Why?? Do yellow reg plates insult your taste or something? it doesn't effect you in the least bit...
    It's the yellow reg's driving around with flagrant disregard for the law, and therefore other road users, that's annoying us most in the capital. Not saying you do it, but there's a general anti-yellow-reg sentiment in most of the country because the vast majority of them drive like tossers.

I do gather that it's not really the same in Ulster or border counties though because many non-chancers there drive NI regged cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

seamus wrote:
    It's the yellow reg's driving around with flagrant disregard for the law, and therefore other road users, that's annoying us most in the capital. Not saying you do it, but there's a general anti-yellow-reg sentiment in most of the country because the vast majority of them drive like tossers.

I do gather that it's not really the same in Ulster or border counties though because many non-chancers drive NI regged cars.

Ah, I understand now... my mistake

You pay the VRT to improve your driving standard... all clear now, thanks

kdevitt wrote:
    Ah, I understand now... my mistake

Strongly agree here again. To declare that its yellow regs that drive like tossers in the city is just a stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You've completely missed what I've said, and gone defensive for no reason at all.
    Farls wrote:
    Strongly agree here again. To declare that its yellow regs that drive like tossers in the city is just a stereotype.
    Yep. It's not unjustified though. Not in Dublin anyway.

impr0v wrote:

they should do more LV plates and other long term tourists too:)

not too sure what Ratchet is on about there :confused:

Seamus, i understand what your saying and their probably are lots of yellow reg's that think their above the rule of law but no more than southern plates.

The big thing is probably the speeding i'd say though, same as if your driving a free state car in the north...speeding tickets are a thing of the past.

Farlz

farls what are the criteria for a northern driving licence and if you have a northern address , northern insurance and tax, does that make it perfectly legal to drive the car down here. cos if so i may give it a go i can get the use of an address in warrenpoint, might save me a few quid on a beemer i have my eye on .

• Advertisement

Farls wrote:
    not too sure what Ratchet is on about there :confused:

Farlz

just saying that UK reg cars are very easy target for customs opposite to LV reg cars or other long time holiday makers. Everybody should be included in the clamp down. I know 3 people with NI reg cars which had to pay duty and where stopped at the same time with other LV guys which also do work on the same site but they still drive the cars as nothing happened. Looks like only Garda can do them for no tax but they have to proof that car was here for more then 6months. it is weird setup.

know for fact that customs can't take the car which doesn't belong to the driver.

Ratchet wrote:
    know for fact that customs can't take the car which doesn't belong to the driver.

Interesting fact, i could transfer the ownership of the car into my sisters name, she lives in the north...hmmm

I get ya now, and very good point.

As for the licence you need to have car taxed and insured in the north, also you need evidence you have lived at the address for over 6 months, ie. bank statements, utility bills etc.

If you call into a tax office in the north they'll tell ya all, its easier too if you have an irish passport seemingly, you won't have to get a police man/guarda to verify your of sound person.

It's probably on the net somewhere about it anyway. I think its the way forward...

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

kdevitt wrote:
    the tax has been declared illegal by the EU, bunch of cowboys over here still get away with charging it...
    No, it hasn't. If you want it changed, vote in a different bunch of cowboys.

Plenty of people have plenty of money to throw away on new cars that will be worth a fraction of their value in a couple of years. Paying thousands in VRT isn't putting them off a bit. The Government would have to be mad to abolish it, and if they did, other taxes would have to rise substantially.
    Why is dodging taxes seen as OK while dodging insurance is not?
    In both cases everyone else has to pay their share.
    It just doesn't get more selfish than that.

If someone can't afford (or simply chooses not to bother) to insure their car or bike, they shouldn't be on the road. If they can't afford / don't bother to VRT or road tax it, they shouldn't be either.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote:
    Why is dodging taxes seen as OK while dodging insurance is not?
    In both cases everyone else has to pay their share.
    It just doesn't get more selfish than that.

If someone can't afford (or simply chooses not to bother) to insure their car or bike, they shouldn't be on the road. If they can't afford / don't bother to VRT or road tax it, they shouldn't be either.

All the guys i know have insurance in NI and they are covered to drive here. The only thing they do not pay is road tax

afford it? that's one thing but o paying some mad price for the insurance definitely NO and if I would have chance to insure myself somewhere else for 1/3 of the price and be still covered over here

I wouldn't think twice

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ratchet wrote:
    All the guys i know have insurance in NI and they are covered to drive here.

They have a piece of paper that says they're covered, but when it really comes down to it, are they?

If you (or I, figure of speech) get a quote with a UK address then that quote is conditional on the fact that you actually are resident in the UK and not in the Republic. If the insurers knew the truth they would either quote you a lot more, or not at all - most policies only allow 30 days driving in another EU country, per year.

So you can guarantee the insurer will be less than impressed if you have a claim and there is any reason (e.g. your workplace, where the accident occurred, etc.) to suspect that you were actually living in the Republic. Insurers will not hesitate to refuse a claim when they can prove you broke the contract of insurance.

Anyway, like any other insurance dodge, the more people that do it the more every honest punter has to pay. My pet hate is the 'living in Dublin but pretending I'm still with the mammy in the country' scam. They get caught rapid when applying for residents' parking permits though :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote:
    ........... most policies only allow 30 days driving in another EU country, per year.

...............:

cut the crap , most but not all

even in Ireland you can drive for more then 30 days but you have to pay.

Anyway, I know good few countries where the same companies e.g. Alianz do cover cars which could be driven abroad for period of full year. Gets even better as some even do contract insurance which works the other way e.g. I go to other country with Irish regd car and drive there insured for period of my working contract on Irish plates but this will not happened here.

i had to sell my lovely CRX as was not going to pay insurance of 3500 punts which went all the way up from 1200 for no real reason in period of 2years. so don't tell me about affordable as this was plain rip off.

And you wonder how people drive without insurance? Unfortunately, there is simple calculation for some

3500 insurance = maybe 1000 euro fine.

Wouldn’t be better to see 1000 euro for insurance = 3000 fine . ??

it will not stop it completely but number would be minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Farls wrote:
    unkel and crowded house, i honestly don't think your paying my taxes, or anyone elses.

Thumper i'm with your view on this. Seeminly the state pays a fine every year because charging VRT in the EU is illegal

Yes we are :(

You should be paying road tax in this country and you are not. I've just forked out €1343 in road tax for the year for you and for me :mad:

The state does NOT pay a fine every year and the Irish VRT scam is NOT illegal, unfortunately - search the boards for my previous explanation

Don't get me wrong - VRT should not exist!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I drive 2 vehicles and pay €1150 insurance and €120 tax combined , all legal no dodgy dealing. One is a campervan (5.7Ltr V8 LPG) the other is a classic (3Ltr V6 petrol). Both qualify for cheap tax + insurance.
    Insurance would be further reduced by the running of a small run around (1.xLtr $h1tbox :( ) if you were so inclined ....not for me thanks.
    Lots of driving fun, minimum governmental reaming. :D

unkel wrote:

You should be paying road tax in this country and you are not. I've just forked out €1343 in road tax for the year for you and for me :mad:

The state does NOT pay a fine every year and the Irish VRT scam is NOT illegal, unfortunately - search the boards for my previous explanation

if the tax was in petrol you will have nothing to moan about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

unkel wrote:

thing is unkel, its irrelevent that u paid 1343. if u dint pay 1343 and instead paid 300 ur car would have cost u twice what u paid for it possibly and ur depreciation would be double. so what are u complaining about?

Advertisement