Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Customs called round last night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

themole wrote:
    the percentages paid would be less.

In all honesty do you think that would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

When it comes to vrt,it's almost impossible to evade paying it.The first post on this thread shows that.The customs have increadible powers.The amount of vrt NOT being paid therefore is minimal.It's not like tax on your earnings,or addons to your insurance preminium.No one pays extra for vrt not being paid.You pay it,or you dont,and loose your car.THAT'S why the customs have those powers to sieze unregistered cars.

I have a car already,and paid the vrt on it when I bought it.Everyone else in the country that bought a car here did the same.Yet,I still don't feel like I'm paying someone else's vrt when i see a yellow number plate.
    i don't blame anyone for wanting to evade tax. i blame them for doing it.

And if you do a nixer,I'd bet you'd declare all to the tax man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

And if you do a nixer,I'd bet you'd declare all to the tax man

if i didn't i wouldn't try to defend the practice.

Farls, you know what you did was illegal. you did it to save some money. i can understand that.

but i don't have to agree with it. and you have no basis to defend your actions. maybe your just trying to convince yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

You did really shine here, You have no clue about VRT.

Anyway there is lots of people using garage policy to drive any car you want for personal use which goes in to the same basket as VRT crowd.

Well, if I had a chance to insure car in other country e.g. I have family over there or something

I wouldn’t think twice,

saved money will go to goverment in some other form in some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What I object is to people avoiding paying road tax and making excessive use of Irish roads. It's not just nordies here, what about all those LV cars clogging the roads?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    What I object is to people avoiding paying road tax and making excessive use of Irish roads. It's not just nordies here, what about all those LV cars clogging the roads?

said it before and here comes again

road tax should be in price of petrol, then they come and drive all this big boats .

Ratchet wrote:
    said it before and here comes again

road tax should be in price of petrol, then they come and drive all this big boats .

read my previous post.

that would raise the price of petrol to €1.62/litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

themole wrote:

fair enough then, 1.62 it is, its 1.30-1.40 in the rest of europe.

but 1.17 across the border.

so everyone would go there

themole wrote:
    but 1.17 across the border.

so everyone would go there

u raise an interesting point. like i said governments should compete with other goverments on taxes. if people want to fill up in the north that is their business. just like if i want to drive a northern car here its my business.

• Advertisement

that system would only work if countries shared all tax revenue.

so, increasing the price of petrol to this level, while removing VRT, would effectively remove income from petrol tax and VRT.

how is that supposed to work?

lomb wrote:
    like i said governments should compete with other goverments on taxes.

they do. you just have to move there. but you have to pay all the taxes. as said before you can't mix and match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

themole wrote:
    they do. you just have to move there. but you have to pay all the taxes. as said before you can't mix and match.

I think that says it all, well its now my intention to move everything into the north including myself for 6/7 months anyway, long enough to clear the new yok i'm getting. :)

Farlz

good luck with that.

what is income tax like up there?

themole wrote:
    read my previous post.

well, problem is that government collects enough money from petrol price as it is.

it could be done in other countries e.g. according to AA ireland , Poles pay 1.01 per liter and this includes road tax

Ratchet wrote:
    well, problem is that goverment collects enough money from petrol price as it is.

it could be done in other countries e.g. according to AA ireland , Poles pay 1.01 per liter and this includes road tax

the average income in poland is less than half what it is here, see link, purchasing power parity.
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/pl.html

so that €1.01 in poland is comparatively speaking a lot more money that it is here.

as for the government getting enough from petrol, they take in around the same each year from petrol tax as VRT. that is what i meant when i said that to replace the revenue from VRT with increased petrol tax would cause the price to rise to €1.62/litre.

I am sure they trying to keep the price of the petrol as low as possible. however, they do buy petrol at the barrel price(obviously in bigger qty) . exactly as we do but not only they have cheaper petrol but also include road tax in the price.

but the point is there tax goes further as wages are much lower in poland

themole wrote:
    but the point is there tax goes further .........

not sure about that

check out htis link:
    http://www.poland.pl/info/invest1.htm

2.8/hour poland compared with 11.7 here

its about manufacturing costs, but other wages would be similarly lower

• Advertisement

themole wrote:
    check out htis link:
    http://www.poland.pl/info/invest1.htm

2.8/hour poland compared with 11.7 here

its about manufacturing costs, but other wages would be similarly lower

if we just assume the price of petrol is is 1 euro (inclusive 62% of road tax) in both countries then yes, Poles will technically do more with this 62c as you pointed out wages are lower.

However, even if they can do 4 X more when looking at your numbers (but in real life they don't ) and put all this money into the road network you have to consider that they do have

364,656 km of road network compared to ROI's 92.5K (which is 1/4 of the previous number)

So yes, they may do more road for the same money but considering all the figures they will output the same % as ROI when comparing totals. We are 4 x more expansive they need 4x more roads. The other thing is that in both countries only certain % of total road tax collected goes back to the road.

Always take distance when looking at statistics, simply:

If you brother has no brain and you have degree, statistically you have the same chance to get a job but reality is different

So, I would not worry about the wages.

The only difference is that number of cars would be considerably higher which will generate serious amount road tax .

But if I think about it,

Yes, money will go further as they need serious amount of it to run the country and do not spend it on overpriced projects like e.g. LUAS

so,

imho. adding vrt cost to petrol is not an option.

the only other option would be to increase road tax.
    don't know how viable this would be.

themole wrote:
    the only other option would be to increase road tax.
    don't know how viable this would be.

or sack half of the unproductive civil servants and slash the social welware payouts. but thats a choice society has to make.

lomb wrote:
    or sack half of the unproductive civil servants and slash the social welware payouts. but thats a choice society has to make.

i would be all for sacking civil servants :D

too many semi-state/full state owned bodies wasting money.

As you said 1.62c /ltr would be a killer

not really sure what we can do with VRT. Any further increase in road tax would be probably used for some companies as good excuse to rise prices again.

Can’t see government giving up VRT either.

If this is going to stay I really would like to see all foreign reg cars be checked out not mostly NI. If the system is anyway unfair or has any loopholes it will only encourage some people to avoid it and many of them don't need much.

So to avoid any discrimination Garda should record all the foreign cars and do them for no tax (if they were longer then 6 moths in the country)instead of VRT and this will quickly get all the tourists in to irish registered cars
    Or better, Customs should check Irish Ferries passenger list for all foreign reg numbers that crossed Irish sea. This way they will now on the spot if stopped car was here more then 6months. ( obviously this would require big database which would be never ready as our cross reference penalty point system and I am dreaming again:)

i suppose on the end it is additional money which we were not expect to pay but would be nice to have and be only benefit to us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ratchet wrote:
    As you said 1.62c /ltr would be a killer

not really sure what we can do with VRT. Any further increase in road tax would be probably used for some companies as good excuse to rise prices again.

Can’t see government giving up VRT either.

If this is going to stay I really would like to see all foreign reg cars be checked out not mostly NI. If the system is anyway unfair or has any loopholes it will only encourage some people to avoid it and many of them don't need much.

So to avoid any discrimination Garda should record all the foreign cars and do them for no tax (if they were longer then 6 moths in the country)instead of VRT and this will quickly get all the tourists in to irish registered cars
    Or better, Customs should check Irish Ferries passenger list for all foreign reg numbers that crossed Irish sea. This way they will now on the spot if stopped car was here more then 6months. ( obviously this would require big database which would be never ready as our cross reference penalty point system and I am dreaming again:)

i suppose on the end it is additional money which we were not expect to pay but would be nice to have and be only benefit to us all
    I would agree Rachet. Do they still have surveilance cameras on the border crossings? If not they should have them to record the movements of Cars and use ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recongition) to cross reference them so that offenders are flagged quickly.

not sure if they still use the cameras. this would bring the order to the streets quickly :D when Mr Kolnikow and hundred like them got done for no tax on the car and paid back tax plus at least 1000 yoyo's.

we would see used car marked booming :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't really care about people having to pay VRT on new cars, basically I will never buy a new car so accordingly I will never have to take the biggest hit on VRT/depreciation, If you have the cash to buy a new vehicle instead of a secondhand one than good luck to ya.You are obviously prepared to pay the tax.
    Take the pain, or shut up:-)
    Ratchet you obviously have some issues with other nationalities? care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

VRT also has an impact on the used market: its presence in the new market sets the benchmarks that are used to determine used prices. If VRT were abolished tomorrow, prices in the used market would also collapse.

As annoyed as I am by VRT, as a public policy matter it would be a disaster if it were abolished. The roads are already choked with cars. If cars suddenly dropped in price by 40%, they'd be more affordable but--in Dublin at least--you wouldn't be able to drive or park anywhere most hours of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Ernie Ball wrote:
    If cars suddenly dropped in price by 40%, they'd be more affordable but--in Dublin at least--you wouldn't be able to drive or park anywhere most hours of the day.

So absolutely no difference then? in Dublin anyway.

Advertisement