Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Good Friday being tonight at 12?

Options
  • 24-03-2005 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

Meaning ALL pubs & ALL clubs closed!

And what about tomorrow night, places open from 12 onwards?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah kicking out is 12 sharp tonight. Theres always a few clubs that open at 12 tomoro night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Yes, everywhere will close at midnight.

Afaik, nowhere opens at 12 tomorrow night, will instead open at regular time on Saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Twas hoping it had changed (somehow)... not to worry, shame though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm nearly sure I've been in places in town at midnight after Good Friday.

Nearly sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

chump wrote:
    Twas hoping it had changed (somehow)... not to worry, shame though

It's only two nights people. Get take out if its that important. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

jaysus whats this country coming to?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

anthonymcg wrote:
    It's only two nights people. Get take out if its that important. :rolleyes:

It's the principle of the thing. I've gone 3 or 4 weeks at times without going out, but it bothers me to be told that I cant go out and have a drink if I choose to. I'm a Catholic by default, I dont practice and dont feel I should be bound over by the catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

Thats an illogical statement. Does it bother you that Christmas day is on the 25th of December... :rolleyes: Lets change it so it suits you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Ms Beanbag I nomiante you for an award for overzealous misuse of the :rolleyes: face...

Take your debate elsewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Ms Beanbag wrote:
    Thats an illogical statement. Does it bother you that Christmas day is on the 25th of December... :rolleyes: Lets change it so it suits you :rolleyes:
    no i think he made perfect sense!
    what happened to the whole freedom on mouth (drinking/speaking his mind) thing??
    and anyhow jesus was drinking on holy thursday and that last supper party prob went past 12 o clock on good friday so techinally he prob drank that day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Stekelly wrote:
    I'm a Catholic by default, I dont practice and dont feel I should be bound over by the catholic church.

No you're not. No faith, no Catholicism. Baptism does not a Catholic Make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

jezza wrote:

i know what you mean..NANNY STATE :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Stekelly wrote:
    It's the principle of the thing. I've gone 3 or 4 weeks at times without going out, but it bothers me to be told that I cant go out and have a drink if I choose to. I'm a Catholic by default, I dont practice and dont feel I should be bound over by the catholic church.

As a barman, one of the two days I am guarenteed off work is welcomed. I think we desevre them.

Its a pity it has something to do with religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

jezza wrote:

actually it not a case of what the country is comming to but more of where its comming from,

lest we not forget "the holy hour"

incedentily i ve nine green bottles here, and 3 minutes to drink them, ....me i'll risk the trip to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

backwards it is. backwards i tells thee

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It really makes me angry that in this day and age the whole ****ing country has to come to a halt because of certain peoples beliefs, they are not my beliefs, they should not effect me. Sure, I can understand businesses who are predominantly catholic closing but the whole country ???

Will Lidl and Aldi be selling booze tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

actually it not a case of what the country is comming to but more of where its comming from,

lest we not forget "the holy hour"

incedentily i ve nine green bottles here, and 3 minutes to drink them, ....me i'll risk the trip to hell.

ahaha the holy hour was great fun. i remember having to go and ring my the pub to let my parents know that i was dropping around when they were locked in during the holy hour....great fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Forcing the pubs to open on Good Friday would require confronting a force even more powerful than religion itself - the vitners trade union. They won't give up their precious one day holiday too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

actually, in the eyes of el Vatican - baptism does a catholic make. i've looked into this - once baptised into the catholic faith you can never be any other religion unless you become excommunicated - until then you are considered in the eyes of the church as a Lapsed Catholic. ****ed up huh? been thinking of going to get myself excommunicated for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Well, I'm afraid the Church would disagree with you there.

Have a read of this:

Sacramental character means a special supernatural and ineffaceable mark, or seal, or distinction, impressed upon the soul by each of the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy orders; and it is by reason of this ineffaceable mark that none of these three sacraments may be administered more than once to the same person. This is express Catholic doctrine declared both in the Council of Florence (Sess. ult., Decret. Eugenii IV, §5) and in the Council of Trent (Sess. VII, can. ix, and Sess. XXIII, cap. iv and can. iv). "If any one shall say that in three sacraments, viz. Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy orders, there is not a character impressed upon the soul, that is a certain spiritual and ineffaceable mark [signum] whence these sacraments cannot be iterated, let him be anathema" (Concil. Trid. Sess. ult., can. vii).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

robbie1876 wrote:
    Forcing the pubs to open on Good Friday would require confronting a force even more powerful than religion itself - the vitners trade union. They won't give up their precious one day holiday too easy.

Are you sure? The barman posted saying he wanted it too. I would not like to have any holidays forced upon me. Imagine all pubs closed for 4 weeks at the start of lent and all barstaff were forced to take there 20days then or go unpaid.
    I do not see the attraction of forced holidays, if you want it off just request it well in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

rubadub wrote:
    Are you sure? The barman posted saying he wanted it too.
    I'm pretty sure there's more than one barman in Ireland ;) sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, is today taken from a their holiday entitlements or is it a payed day off just like any other public holiday? I don't know as I've never worked in a bar, but I do get to work on Good Friday :(

Besides, there are 15 (I think) public holidays a year that everyone is entitled to, but the pubs only close on one of these, Christmas Day. Bar staff may have to work all other public holidays in which case they would be due a day in lue (or payment) in respect of this. Surely one of those extra 14 days could cover Good Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Ah, I was wondering why last orders was so early last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Tusky wrote:
    Will Lidl and Aldi be selling booze tomorrow ?

If they do, they'll be breaking the law, so it's doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

jor el wrote:

Anyway, is today taken from a their holiday entitlements or is it a payed day off just like any other public holiday?
    I presume it is taken from their holiday entitlements as it is not a public holiday but a forced closure like most business also enforce at christmas.

jor el wrote:
    Surely one of those extra 14 days could cover Good Friday?
    But then they wouldnt be paid extra when working one of those public holidays, the bar owner would agree with you but staff wouldnt!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

crash_000 wrote:
    actually, in the eyes of el Vatican - baptism does a catholic make. i've looked into this - once baptised into the catholic faith you can never be any other religion unless you become excommunicated - until then you are considered in the eyes of the church as a Lapsed Catholic. ****ed up huh? been thinking of going to get myself excommunicated for a while now.

well, the catholic church says a whole lot of stupid ****, I don't see why we should have to listen to them on this. I am not catholic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

rubadub wrote:
    Are you sure? The barman posted saying he wanted it too. I would not like to have any holidays forced upon me. Imagine all pubs closed for 4 weeks at the start of lent and all barstaff were forced to take there 20days then or go unpaid.
    I do not see the attraction of forced holidays, if you want it off just request it well in advance.

No I didn't! I said the day off was welcome..

No I didn't! I said the day off was welcome..

Right you are. You said
    As a barman, one of the two days I am guarenteed off work is welcomed. I think we desevre them.

Its a pity it has something to do with religion.

Do you like having 2 days quaranteed off?, would you like more? What about 20? I don't like any holidays being forced upon me, most companies do it at christmas, religion again. Would you not rather have the choice to take off the days YOU want and not what suit your employer? Do they refuse you holidays if you ask 6 months in advance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

How do catholic beliefs effect the laws of the country...to me that is so oldfashioned its insane.

Advertisement