Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny high street

Options
  • 24-03-2005 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else wondered why the high street, from the Johns street junction to the traffic lights at parliament street, hasn't been made pedestrian only. Entry only for deliveries and access.

I think that it would be a good move in general. The amount of people that are normally wandering up and down there, on and off the road is amazing. In general it seems that most cars drive from one end to the other. Closing it off wouldn't cause any major problems as far as I can see. Car parks would still be accessable and there are roads that allow the traffic to access all areas around it.

It would get my vote and I'm a car owner. :)

What do you think?

Make Kilkenny high street a pedestrian only zone 24 votes

Good idea.
    0% 0 votes
    Bad idea.
    83% 20 votes
    Not bothered.
    16% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

In principal I agree klefarr but would have a couple of questions/points:

- What about the people who live/park off the William Street area - how would they get in out?
    - I'm sure you remember the traffic nightmare that was Bateman Quay when High Street was closed when they dug it all up last year - trying to get from Dunnes to John Street was a nightmare :mad:
    - Where would you move the disabled parking spaces to (the ones outside Byrnes/St Canices Credit Union ? given that the Co Co plan to do away with the parking spaces/taxi rank on the Parade?
    - Where will the Argos truck go at 6 o'clock every day ;)
    - I do think though it would make the whole street in general a lot safer to walk on; some parts of the path are just far too narrow (e.g. where the Metro shop/chemist with the telescopes in the window is)

Just my tuppence, be interested what others have to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Dr. Spock wrote:
    In principal I agree klefarr but would have a couple of questions/points:

- What about the people who live/park off the William Street area - how would they get in out?

Entry only for deliveries and access. (permit)

Dr. Spock wrote:
    - I'm sure you remember the traffic nightmare that was Bateman Quay when High Street was closed when they dug it all up last year - trying to get from Dunnes to John Street was a nightmare :mad:

There will still be a left and right turn out of Dunnes to either Johns St or Irish town. I would imagine the pedestrian area to finish level BOI or probably level with the access road that comes down from James Green. (James St)
    Dr. Spock wrote:
    - Where would you move the disabled parking spaces to (the ones outside Byrnes/St Canices Credit Union ? given that the Co Co plan to do away with the parking spaces/taxi rank on the Parade?

Dr. SPock wrote:
    - Where will the Argos truck go at 6 o'clock every day ;)

These would be my suggestions what do you think? and I agree, it would make it safer and probably make for a more enjoyable shopping experience. :)

Edit: Would just like to add... anyone caught in the pedestrian zone with a "permit" could possibly be charged a fixed penalty ie like being in a bus lane when you shouldn't be €25. could go to KK county council and be put towards a worthy cause. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Maybe just do it from James' St to Friary St. IE. You cant turn right after coming down James St. and you have to turn up Friary St. if coming from the parade..

dawballz wrote:
    Maybe just do it from James' St to Friary St. IE. You cant turn right after coming down James St. and you have to turn up Friary St. if coming from the parade..

That would be a worthy possabilty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Didn't the corpo do a viability study into this and they showed it couldnt work?

I remember they turned high street one way for a while as a tester and it resulted in people speeding down the street so that was scrapped.

• Advertisement

mick_irl wrote:
    Didn't the corpo do a viability study into this and they showed it couldnt work?

I remember they turned high street one way for a while as a tester and it resulted in people speeding down the street so that was scrapped.

Did they try a complete block on traffic?

One way isn't going to make that much difference really, as has been shown.

There must be more than 7 people on boards.ie that live in or near Kilkenny city? Lets have some votes please. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kleefarr wrote:
    There must be more than 7 people on boards.ie that live in or near Kilkenny city? Lets have some votes please. :)

Nope only 7, you see most people in County Kilkenny actually hate the city because the council seems to think they need to spent 99% of their money there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Cabaal wrote:
    Nope only 7, you see most people in County Kilkenny actually hate the city because the council seems to think they need to spent 99% of their money there. :rolleyes:

Where you get that mad notion from?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mick_irl wrote:
    Where you get that mad notion from?

Most anyone I know thats not from Kilkenny City :)
    As regards spending...well when you see how the council works its plain to the eye to see it.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:

Well I don't know what they spend it on. Definately not on clearing up rubbish or even keeping the roads in good order. Must be going into someones pockets. :mad:

Anyway a portion should go to other areas of the County, that's only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kaboogie

Sure it is nearly pedestrian allready, the traffic is always stopped there, it goes nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wellboy1976

Cabaal wrote: »

You see, you have got your information all wrong there because as the rest of the world knows..........................kilkenny (small k) is only a TOWN. Several other towns are bigger, Drogheda, Tralee, Sligo, Dundalk to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You see, you have got your information all wrong there because as the rest of the world knows..........................kilkenny (small k) is only a TOWN. Several other towns are bigger, Drogheda, Tralee, Sligo, Dundalk to name a few.

Welcome to boards wellboy ;)! Funny, I see at least two of your 5 posts have already been made on the KK forum..but be careful with your "facts" re the sizeof towns vs cities...several "towns" also come very close to your own native city in population terms too you know!! Swords springs to mind immediately.

wellboy1976, your a lovely troll
    Now go home and stay under that bridge in waterford like all trolls should ;)

Also good job in dragging up a 2 year old thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

KK Borough council want to get ring and relief roads done before closing off High st. Seen as they are such an inadequate authority I would give another ten years before we can walk freely down High st.
    Sad really, it's one of KK's greatest assets and would be a great compliment to the new parade and castle for locals and tourists alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wellboy1976

mfitzy wrote: »
    Welcome to boards wellboy ;)! Funny, I see at least two of your 5 posts have already been made on the KK forum..but be careful with your "facts" re the sizeof towns vs cities...several "towns" also come very close to your own native city in population terms too you know!! Swords springs to mind immediately.

You are absoultely right, Tallaght is bigger than Limerick, but they are included in Greater Dublin.

5 cities in the republic, Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Oh not this AGAIN. See the (very short and to the point) charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement