Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has that fountain thing ever worked?

Options
  • 24-03-2005 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

hey you know that fountain thing that you can see from the pool room upstairs in the hub or just over from spar, well has it ever worked? i think a cure to the lack of happyness would be to have a fountain, ive gotten flak over not posting anything that was constructive so there's my attempt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It has never worked in my 3 years in the dump.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I remember it working back in 1996 and 1997, but every time it was someone's birthday their mates would try and drown them in it, which pissed off security, and so it has been turned off for years now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Maybe we could ask for it to be turned back on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

OR even better we could turn the water on ourselves

I can see it now ...

At registration we'll be expected to pay an extra €10 for the water in the fountain and another €20 to pay the extra security costs associated with having water in the fountain.

• Advertisement

See this may just be the morale boost us students need, and it can be DCU event, hmmmm i know an email to all students asking to help out in the search for the valve to the fountain and if it has been totally disconnected hmmmm anyone got a hose? sure the college authorities might have a problem but with us all acting under alias we can pull it off, hmmmm now to choose an alias?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Someone mentioned this before too, it'd be a great free pool if the put it on in the next few weeks... tis getting hot outdoors nowadays. Perhaps somone could just find out where the mains pump is and turn it on... cool

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

spontanaeity is contraband in DCU

Don't try anything...or else the brilliant security services will come around and spoil the party!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Very true, i guess ill leave it up to the politicians on this one

• Advertisement

hmmmmm i see a problem, ok we'll have to take a new road. Lets see we place people from boards on key positions in the SU and get them to get the fountain back on and after that they'll stop making everything difficult for the smaller clubs and socs in DCU

Cost cutting is another reason I'd say...DCU is scrimping on everything these days.

Talking about politicians - who has seen the SU election posters?? Amusing stuff.

wow wait a second having a fountain shouldnt cost anything it loops the water doesnt it? so that shouldnt cost and i thought it ran without electricity although im not sure about this fountain certainly in some other fountains ive seen, couldnt say how it works though because im not an engineer

This fountain debate is getting out of hand.

Let's start "Operation Fountfinger" and march on the ****er on Monday!!!

Ahoy!!!

hmmm maybe you start it up il join after you get better numbers :)

:D damned apathy...did you got to the pool protest the other day? I was there.

Totally off topic....but who here thinks "Phyllis the aul one" iat the wraps counter in the canteen is a legend?

Because I do.

actually yeah i agree with that shes got character

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Lets march on the SU and get our fountain back. please, just anything to break the monotony in this damn place(notice the absolute distain and despair in my voice and im only a first year!) and if they dont give it back i sense a new rodney king incident!

whadda you think people!

i am your new leader/dictator.....praise me! Worship me! and i will get that fountain!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

DCU ROCKS!!11

The fountain worked about 7 years ago I've heard.

ok so we know the relative time frame in which it has worked and not worked, but does anyone know the official/true reason to why it was shut off in the first place?
    10-ers bets on the aliens did it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'd imagine that a quick e-mail to Martin Conry's office will yield a quick and truthful answer.

yep probably would do you think he's with the aliens?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

it worked in the pre 98 for a while then people always ended up in it after bar extensions and getting soaking wet, drunk students and water meant insurance problems so they had to empyty it, boooo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 plague

You want an official reason for anything in DCU? You must be new....
    Yeah, the fountain used to work, up to about 4-5 years ago. Then the started turning it off, I think there were problems with the thing. They probably stopped giving a **** and just left as is.

Advertisement