Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with web site

Options
  • 24-03-2005 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

I'm designing a simple web page for a college assignment, so just one or two quick questions if ye wouldn't mind answering.

What is the size of a web page, pixel wise? It'll make more sense from my following question

Is it advisable to make a background in photoshop? or just use a basic colour for the background? or even an image of some sort?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

short answer is :

a web page has varying pixel widths due to different monitor sizes and different resolutions

as for background - ouch to background images as they tend to increase the size of a page - thus resulting in a longer download time for the viewer. Personally i would recommend the use of simple colours as your background - or if you can manage it a single image, small enough that when used as a background does not increase the size dramatically

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Ph3nom says.

A good trick is to use a small picture with a simple pattern. If you're creative enough, you can make it look pretty funky.

Just off the top of my head, take a look at www.hosting365.ie, and notice the background there. It looks like one huge pattern. But it's actually just one tiny little picture:

diagonal-line.gif

The browser only needs to download this once, then tiles it across the background, creating that diagonal line effect you see.

It's a simple but effective trick.

Advertisement