Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting broadband, a little help ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ndillane

Any joy yet Netwhiz with skyDSL setup ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This sounds like a complete disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Originally Posted by ndillane
    Any joy yet Netwhiz with skyDSL setup ?
    Well its just i still haven't got around to setting it up (its two months soon since i signed the contract) Basically two weeks ago friday the 13th my pc crashed and i lost all the sat broadband software, no igot it back last week but it still isn't working right so my guy is coming saturday to fix it and hopefully then i can re-install the software and PCI-sat modem. Before that i was hitting and missing the satellite now i have bought a yellow brick sat meter with telecom 2d satellite on it for EUR160 off e-bay, i have already found the satellite all i need to do is Mount the dish and align it install the software and bobs my uncle, if this goes to plan i hope to be surfing via sat bb as early as this sunday although it may be monday yet.
    Originally Posted by dlofnep
    This sounds like a complete disaster.

No its not and i'm confiednt it will work, in theory it should anyway, plus i 've got the sat meter now so aligning the dish is simple. It just that without the sat meter you're f****d, unless your local sat installers have it on their meters, no one in county kerry that i know had and i rang a good few, i even got an installer out and he said he might be able to get it using the analgoue meter but to no avail, now i must probably pay him for two hours of wasted time. Any when (and if) i get it finally working i will post a comprhensive guide to getting this service hassle free unlike me.

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

i have had satellite bb for about a month now
    they kept pushing dsl and wireless back

so i got sick of it and went with E3 broadband very impressed very fast
    check them out www.e3broadband.ie
    though i literally cant play games online

so when dsl and wireless come out here ill change over

note: installation was €349

Holy jesus, i have died and descended into broadband heaven, i am just after going from 44kbps to 1mbps with euroskynet skydsl all for €6.90 a month with 1.5cent for every MB i download, i am quite literally over the moon, I will post my promised guide later on or maybe tommorow. All my minions stuck on dial-up, you can now visit the promised land without paying a fortune !!

Best Regards netwhizkid

• Advertisement

netwhizkid congratulations and well done.
    Now share the booty :D

What has the performance been like for browsing, downloading, P2P etc. Different times of day/week etc.

Any hance of more details on set up

BTW where in Kerry are you based ?

Yeah its a great service, it' very suffecient for my needs, Although i guess for some people it would be rubbish ! because of the Dial-ip link and the fact that its no good for voip or gaming these however don't affect me !

The speeds in it vary i can honestly say, the slowest i ever got was 250kbps i now am currently getting 579kbps, this changes with the time, very late in the evening it gets faster anythin up to 800kbps after 11.30 when the germans go to bed as they are the primary users of it ! According to the Website they have 30,000 customers there. It is much faster during the day when the dial-up is more expensive and thus people tend to use it in the off-peak period after 6pm in my case for the eircom net flat rate 25 package i'm on. It is good for downloading, yesterday i opened an attachment of 2.5mb and it took about 10 seconds to download, i reckon i was on about 300kbps at the time as weekends see heavier traffic again because of the Dial-up link costs. What is P2P ? i don't think i have this service or have used it if i knew what it was maybe i could explain ! It has opened up a whole new world for me, not since i got the internet have it revolutionised my life so much ! it's like getting the internet all over again !

They offer a thing at no extra cost as far afaik that you can be "always on" in a way by selecting website you like and they will be streamed down via the satellite link without dialing-up, there is also an "offline" e-mail service by them, i have yet to try any of these.

I live in a place called Kilgarvan (near Kenamre) You may have heard of Jackie Healy-Rae ! Thats about all we are famous for !

If you or anyone else decides to get this service, before you get this ask around your local Sky digital and satellite installers if they can install a satellite dish to Telecom 2d @ 8° west. It is available also via E-bird 2A but this is extremely hard to pick up over Ireland and generally I advise strongly against this, I myself tried this and to get it working I had to move the Satellite dish to another gable of the wall, this really was a pain as I had to get more cable and anchor bolts, I then also had to chisel around the old anchor bolts and grind them down to below the surface of the wall and then apply polly-filla to the hole before re-painting. Now I tried several Satellite installers and none of them could install a sat dish to Telecom 2D, ( I even got one out and left him try align it with an analogue meter for two hours to no avail ). If you can’t get an installer to align and maybe install the dish in your case too, then you will have to try and get a Satellite meter with the Telecom 2d satellite @ 8° west, this is what I’d to do, I got one for €165 second hand off e-bay and I had it aligned for me in 3mins no joking, Make sure it has this satellite on it or your goose is cooked. NB. You must really have a meter if you can’t get an installer to do it, or you will waste weekends on end, from the time I ordered mine from their website, on March 30th nearly 2 months ago, I have spent ages trying to align it, and my pc crashed in the middle and then I had to go the whole rigmarole of basically having a new pc again ! I only got it going today and I am very happy with my speed increase.

This service works on Pentium 4 and but I think it also works on Pentium 3 but not very well afaik, It is not compatible with Apple Mac systems.
    Originally posted by ndillane
    Now share the booty :D

Well i hope this is enlightening,

I am happy to answer Q's about it if i can help anyone post here or PM me, If anyone wants to get this service, i'll help them align the dish or install the hardware etc. to the best of my abilites !

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I Dont have BB my self but i dont think i will go and get a sat just sounds to much work. Anyways i would want it for games so no good for me.

But well done to your self!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

Are there any tweaks that you can do to your internet connection to get the best out of your upload speed?

Also, do you find that you download a lot more data now that you have faster downloads? I'm sure this can drive up the costs.

I'm about to connect my satellite system. Can't wait. I'm tired of the terrible dialup speeds i'm getting.

edit.

I have no choice. Had DSL for 2 years but moved to the sticks and cant get wireless. So i know the difference between this and DSL only too well.

Well its connected and its like lightning. Tested it last night with the cable just hanging off the dish and was imressed. The cable is now in its permanent position at last.
    To be honest its faster than my connection in work (I'm a web developer).
    I notice no latencey at all when browsing. Downloading is very very fast. Faster than my old 512K DSL connection too.
    The difference between dialup and this is like a breeze and a hurricane.

Most of the people complaining about satellite DSL to me at work have never used it. As i'd say is the case with many on newsgroups.

As a last resort its pretty impressive. But no games for me :(

Can't reccomend it enough to those who can only get dial-up.

I've noticed that there is a constant download of about 4KBs when its connected even if you've no other apps open.

I hope i'm not going to get charged for that.

Here is another option for a provider that someone sent me today
    http://www.getbroadbandanywhere.com/

Originally Posted by SnotNosedGit
    The difference between dialup and this is like a breeze and a hurricane.

Yes Satellite is brilliant and i'd say at the way i use it (not that often) maybe an hour an evening if ADSL came to me know, i'd be slow in changing as its €39.90 month which is currently too expensive imo.
    Originally Posted by SnotNosedGit
    Are there any tweaks that you can do to your internet connection to get the best out of your upload speed?

Also, do you find that you download a lot more data now that you have faster downloads? I'm sure this can drive up the costs.

I don't know about any tweaks to the dial-up but i find it okay for my up-loading which is practically nil except for a few e-mails I get 44kbps upload via the Dial-up.

Yes I'd say i download away more now due to the speed, it will probabaly push up costs but i'm waiting for first mothly bill to see what it will cost on top of the €6.90 rental, if its more than a tenner i will upgrade to Skydsl Classic 2 €16.90 with 1GB (1000MB) Downloads included, if i go over this its 1.5cent per MB.

Who is your Sat BB provider if you don't mind me asking and off what Satellite is it coming. Mine is Euroskynet Skydsl working off the Telecom 2D Satellite @ 8 ° West.

Regards netwhizkid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

I plugged it into my sky dish. Already have sky+ so it was just a matter of plugging it into the dish and getting the cable to the computer.

I signed up with AVCbroadband in the UK.

I got the £30 package as i want to look around for other cheaper providers. It would be £22 if i signed a 12 month contract @ 512Kbs. But its going between 500 and 800Kbs which i wont complain about.

Robert has some posts on it here that gave me the idea. Thanks Robert.

There are several other providers that looks even better value though, but i'd need a new dish for that one.

Forgot to say. E3Broadband in Ireland use AVC but double the price and charge an outrageous installation fee. Just another example of ripoff ireland.

In fact ALL irish providers are ripping us off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

My big problem is Internet Connection Sahring.
    Just cant get it to work with a wireless network.
    Anyone know if there are any guides that work out there.

Finally got around to ordering the satellite equipment from satellite.ie and it arrived Friday evening. Installed it Sunday and got the position tonight (was too busy last night)

SKYDSL have a free offer on DVB card so the whole thing cost me ~€200.
    I went with 34.99 offer from SKYDSL but might reduce this further based on Cost.
    I did not have a Sat Locator so just got lucky I guess with the location (I had a compass). I went after Telecom 2D 8 degrees west as advised by NetWhiz

So far I am very happy with download speeds.

If I can help anybody set up let me know

My Sat equipment list is below with prices from www.satellite.ie (very good service)
    *(BTW you don't need a twin output LNB)

__Lines Ordered_________________________________________________

DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST

Triax 80cm Dish 1 ?48.76 ?48.76
    Hirschmann wallmount 1 ?20.65 ?20.65
    LNB Twin Output .3db Invacom 1 ?40.49 ?40.49
    Coach screw and plug (4 pack) 2 ?3.30 ?6.60
    Digital coaxial cable CT 100- 30 ?0.73 ?21.90
    per -
    metre-
    - Colour Choice: White

F coaxial connector Screw on- 2 ?2.48 ?4.96
    (4 -
    pack)-

__Totals________________________________________________________

Subtotal: ?143.36
    Shipping & Handling: ?20.19
    Total Tax: ?30.36
    Total: ?193.91

Yeah, best of luck with it. It's a great servce alright i hope it worls as good for you as it does for me. I'm also happy to advise and give te best help that i can to anyone interested in Skydsl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 laffy

netwhizkid wrote:
    Yeah, best of luck with it. It's a great servce alright i hope it worls as good for you as it does for me. I'm also happy to advise and give te best help that i can to anyone interested in Skydsl.

Hi netwhizkid,

I've been looking at euroskynet in the past few months but haven't decided yet. I know it works grest for general web usage, and I am not a gamer. The only problem I have, is that I want to use this connection for teleworking. Have you or anyone tried this before? Meaning using the satellite connection on a VPN, or citrix client for example? I searched a bit and it seems that normal VPN is not ideal as the tunnel needs a constant 2 way connections.

So if anyone is using satellite for teleworking in any way, I'd like to know :)

Thanks in advance!
    Laffy,

Advertisement