Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Northern Ireland

• 24-03-2005 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

come on Northern Ireland

show that arrogant English shower!

some people at work were saying they were supporting England against NI.
    I told them that such behaviour is a disgrace.

NI have the morons who forced Lennon off the side.
    ROI have the morons who boo Rangers players.
    No difference.

They wear green.
    They've got Ireland in their name.
    That's good enough for me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They are so fcuked its not even funny.

On another note being them only up the road odd how they so rightly fcuked but if we were playing them i would expect us to beat them.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

3-0 england
    No difference.

Theres a massive difference between booing and death threats tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

yeah Norn Iron are set for a proper monkeying alright. Didnt that Sunderland player pull out (probably cos he expected a thrashing). maybe thats not fair but I expect England to win 4+ Nill. maybe norn iron can pull off a draw. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

England 0-0 Northern Ireland , I think McCarthney is the name of the Sunderland player that pulled out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure this is bound to be the England banana-skin and a great moral victory for the plucky underdogs of Championship/League 1 and 2 football...;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

bizmark wrote:
    Theres a massive difference between booing and death threats tbh

there's also a massive numerical difference between the number of people who made the death threat to Lennon (one) and the number of so-called Republic of Ireland fans who boo Rangers players playing for their country (thousands)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    there's also a massive numerical difference between the number of people who made the death threat to Lennon (one) and the number of so-called Republic of Ireland fans who boo Rangers players playing for their country (thousands)

so no one booed lennon when he played for northern ireland?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Lawrie Sanchez said in an interview about their record. he said they haven't won at home under him and havent lost away under him. he also said he, not only is expecting that record to be upheld against England, but also againt Austria on Wednesday. NI are definately the underdogs for this match. so much so that i think, in fact, most neutrals* will be up for NI.

NI are getting wrote off so badly by the english press that i think a NI win would be just the ticket to make everyones year. just imagine it! :)

oh and this is just askin to be blown back in their face

*neutral men, coz lets face it, if beckhams playin, all the women will be up for england! typical! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    I told them that such behaviour is a disgrace.[/I]

nothing wrong with a sense of realism

England to win by at least 2

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

3-0 England. Northern Ireland don't have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

England to win 4-1, although it could be tight for the first 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

England 2-2 N.Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

on a seperate point, heard on Sky Sports last night that there will be only one National Anthem played for both teams, i.e God Save the Queen, do you think Northern Ireland should have it's own unique anthem for sporting occasions

Highlander wrote:
    on a seperate point, heard on Sky Sports last night that there will be only one National Anthem played for both teams, i.e God Save the Queen, do you think Northern Ireland should have it's own unique anthem for sporting occasions

its simple really , Nationlist:yes , Unionist:no .

so no one booed lennon when he played for northern ireland?!

Yes, Lennon was booed when playing for N.I.
    By a fairly small minority of arseholes.
    But it was the death threat that made him quit.

Wonder who Martin O'Neill, Pat Jennings, Mal Donaghy, Gerry Armstrong etc will be shouting for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I would say Gerry Armstrong will be up for Northern ireland him being assistant manager

btw - I was watching an Ireland game in a city centre pub a while back and a group of Celtic jersey-clad Irish fans were shouting abuse at the television screen every time Alan Maybury had the ball - because he's a protestant who plays for Hearts.

Another occasion, also in a Dublin pub, saw a friend of mine being threatened with extreme violence for applauding Barcelona's goal against Celtic last November. He's supported them since he was about 8. He left the pub soon afterwards.

If Ireland ever had a player who signed for Rangers do you think he would get abuse from Irish supporters?

Don't assume it can't happen here.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    No difference.
    Yes, Lennon was booed when playing for N.I.
    By a fairly small minority of arseholes.
    But it was the death threat that made him quit.

Wonder who Martin O'Neill, Pat Jennings, Mal Donaghy, Gerry Armstrong etc will be shouting for
    btw - I was watching an Ireland game in a city centre pub a while back and a group of Celtic jersey-clad Irish fans were shouting abuse at the television screen every time Alan Maybury had the ball - because he's a protestant who plays for Hearts.

Another occasion, also in a Dublin pub, saw a friend of mine being threatened with extreme violence for applauding Barcelona's goal against Celtic last November. He's supported them since he was about 8. He left the pub soon afterwards.

If Ireland ever had a player who signed for Rangers do you think he would get abuse from Irish supporters?

Don't assume it can't happen here.
    Why did you name this thread "England v Northern Ireland"?

eirebhoy wrote:

- see my first post.

- because they are playing each other this weekend.

- I know you are a Celtic fan, you know that I am not. Hence your displeasure and the quoting of my points out of context as one continuous post.

- anyway, who will you be shouting for? if you had to pick one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

eirebhoy wrote:

lol exactly

Should have been named 'I hate Celtic btw NI are playing England as well'

NI have no chance but that does not mean I would not like NI to win - I would.

Some people :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I am also supporting Northern Ireland .

English media have made some very disparaging comments towards the N.I. squad this week. This is sure to fire the Irish players.

England can frequently struggle against "weaker" teams.

Plus - they are not as good as they think they are.

If the N.I. defence can keep England scoreless for the first 30 mins they will rattle them. Hard to see N.I. getting too many scoring opportunites though.
    A 0-0 is a definite possibility.
    Although if N.I. get an early goal it could be like Stuttgart all over again. :D

apart from the God save the Queen muck at the start , excluding all the racist elements in the NI fan base and not listening to the booing of any non protestant player, I think I will be happy to see norn iron come away with a result.

England are over rated, they have a few good players but never come together as a team. They always have something missing. I expect the northern paddies can battle for most of the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

This post is a joke

you start with some racist bashing-arrogant blah blah blah

diverge into idiot abuse stories-shouting at the television

and then seem to have a secondary interest in football

yeah ok...

england to win 1-0 or 2-1 btw. as said above they struggle with weaker teams and a weight of expectation...in addition whenever they go ahead especially against weaker teams they seem to go to sleep...

gsand wrote:
    you start with some racist bashing-arrogant blah blah blah

Yeah, guess I must be unique in calling them arrogant. I am sure no one else agrees with that opinion.
    How can you attribute it to racism? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

how is it not generalised racism?

all the people in england are arrogant?

anyway. forget it. wrong forum :p

gsand wrote:
    how is it not generalised racism?

all the people in england are arrogant?

anyway. forget it. wrong forum :p

the players, the coaching staff, their tabloid media (which perversely sells massively over here)

- not all the people.

Who thinks this will be Sven's last World Cup. Personally I think it will. All the meaningless friendlies, crazy american tournaments, endless tatical changes when clearly they dont work. I wouldnt be surprised if England get knocked out straight afte the group stages and Sven will be on his way.

a draw against the norn iron tomorrow might hasten that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What bugs me is I think England have the quality to wint he world cup, but Sven is just utterly wasting it. Terrible manager imo, no balls

• Advertisement

I dont see how you come to that conclusion PHB. England have one or two good players and a LOT of average players. I count current form and not names.

for example, Rooney is all hype but looked very poor against Spain and Milan.
    Beckham is in poor form as well. Its been a long time since I have seen him really play.
    Smith - liabiliity to do anything (or hit anyone)
    et cetra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

The England team always looks good on paper but can never gel as a team. Or thats how I always feel watching them anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

I dont see how you come to that conclusion PHB. England have one or two good players and a LOT of average players. I count current form and not names.

for example, Rooney is all hype but looked very poor against Spain and Milan.
    Beckham is in poor form as well. Its been a long time since I have seen him really play.
    Smith - liabiliity to do anything (or hit anyone)
    et cetra
    They have a good goalkeeper, several superb defenders, two world class centre midfielders, and two or three very good strikers. They've more than enough quality in there to win tournaments, Greece had a good manager and a lot less ability...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Svens problem is he reads the papers to see who they picked for him but then he plays them they play bad he has safety in that the papers cant say anything.

I mean he plays with 4 central midfielders just to keep the press happy.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I've rooted against Northern Ireland ever since their supporters display of irrationality, bigotry and down-right nastiness before and during the Nov'93 qualifier with us at Windsor.

Tommorrow will be no different. I hope England stuff them 4-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The game is on BBC today, the Northern Ireland version is the one we'll get here.

If you have a Sky Digibox however, you can tune in the different regional BBC1's, for instance BBC1 London, and get the usual commentaries.

I, for one, cannot stand Jackie Fullerton.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    The game is on BBC today, the Northern Ireland version is the one we'll get here.

If you have a Sky Digibox however, you can tune in the different regional BBC1's, for instance BBC1 London, and get the usual commentaries.

I, for one, cannot stand Jackie Fullerton.

Jesus H...how bad is that?

Mike.

PHB wrote:
    What bugs me is I think England have the quality to wint he world cup, but Sven is just utterly wasting it. Terrible manager imo, no balls
    Doesn't bug me at all. My heart says I want N.Ireland to win today even though I hate them. I'm not England's biggest fan either. The fact that they feel there's no chance of them failing to win I have to back the underdog.
    two world class centre midfielders
    two world class central midfielders but an average central midfield pairing. I'd take Keane and Kilbane any day. :) Fck what it looks like on paper.

England have one of the best defenses in the world I think, with Neville Terry Ferdinand and Cole.
    They should be able to keep a clean sheet against most teams in the world.

Micheal Owen and Wayne Rooney play well together as a duo, they have shown it before and will show it again.
    Midfield is their problem, not because they don't have the players, but because they have a ballless manager who won't cut people.
    But if the team lined up with

james
    Neville Ferdinand Terry Cole
    Beckham Lampard Gerrard Cole
    Rooney Owen

I honastly think that team can win the World Cup.
    That said, I think they would do better with a central midfield of Butt Lampard/Gerrard

I want to see England do well cause I really like Neville Ferdinand Terry Beckham Rooney and Owen, and have supported 4 out of 6 of them at club level.

Good prediction PHB. :)

England: Robinson; Neville, A Cole, Terry, Ferdinand; Beckham (capt), Lampard, J Cole, Gerrard; Rooney, Owen.
    Subs: James, Carragher, King, Dyer, Hargreaves, Heskey, Defoe.

Sven is really showing a lack of respect. If this was Brazil they were playing he wouldn't have named his team yet. Boody brutal manager.

Hopefully Carragher will get a run out, he deserves it.
    Lads, Northern Ireland are just terrible :) He is showing a total lack of respect becaues its like Man Utd playing Exeter, oh wait....

• Advertisement

Id love to see David Healy score the scrappiest goal of all time in the 95 minute for N.Ireland to win 1-0 , the pure shock some people would get , people would call for Sven's head too , but I like the way that once he's in charge they won't win anything .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

anyone know where i can get this streamed online?

or the ireland match?

Jesus, I thought the Sky Commentary was biased, but this BBC NI is fairly bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ye it is pretty funny.

"Where will Ashley Cole be playing next season with all the shenanigans?" haha

He has asked that twice, and asked when Owen and Gerrard will be too,

Commentators List of Stuff to say when nothign is happening:
    Where is Cole going to be?
    Where is Gerrard going to be?
    Where is Owen going to be?
    Worst case scenario: Where is England? [cue map]

----

Cole is getting so much possesion and just producing nothings at the end, ain't the best way to stake your claim to the left wing :/
    Best cross of the game so far has not come from either of the wingers, but from a fullback, I love football :)

I've dragged a speaker on a long line from my hi-fi from the NTL analogue connection in my bedroom so I can avoid Fullerton.

Beckham is everywhere except where is should be down the right. NI defence very solid and the midfield giving Lampard little room to shine. Gerrard playing a Hamman-like role.

Mike.

Oh great, COle got a lucky deflection and now he has scored the goal, gona get man of the match, and now become part of the English team cause Sven has got no balls.
    Funny world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Why the defender didnt thump the ball into row x,y and z!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well thats that. 3- 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

It's 4-0 now, I am loving it, watching on BBC NI, they were so smug at being 0-0 at HT,
    HA HA

• Advertisement
Advertisement