Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article]Celtic Tiger wages - €1.08 per hour.

Options
  • 25-03-2005 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Weclome to the land of plenty and just be grateful you've got a job at all (if you're a johnny foreigner).

indo
    Irish Ferries has admitted that a Filipina woman working as a beauty therapist on one of its vessels was being paid just €354-a-month for working up to 12 hours-a-day.

This level of pay is less than half the rate set by the International Labour Organisation, which regulates wages for seafarers.

Irish Ferries said today that the employment of the Filipina beauty therapist, which was highlighted by SIPTU, was arranged through a recruitment agency that was paying her wages.

It also said the service she provided on board the Isle of Inishmore ferry was halted after queries were made about the low level of her pay.

I should be shocked but sadly with so many stories of exploitation of non-nationals esp from poor countries this is about what I have come to expect. And its not like Irish Ferries are some fly-by-night chancers yet at the first sign of trouble thier reaction is to make a woman thousands of miles from home jobless and presumably, given her job homeless to boot. The bit about 'Oh its the agencies fault' won't wash either, Irish Ferries knew what they were doing and owe her duty of care in my book. I wonder how many others working on board are in similair circumstances.

Also I wonder how many workers in IF are, in the eyes of the company, entitled to the minimum wage as set down in Irish law?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How much would a beauty therapist get? €15 an hour? IF easily owe her the balance of that in back pay.

Never mind jusy on board, I wonder how many other poor souls are working in this country for beans and don't speak up because they don't know any different or are afraid to rock the boat....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

tbh irish ferries told agency x to supply a beautican at an agreed rate, agency x hired the lady for 1.08 per hour, irish ferries honoured thier contract with the agency in good faith it was the agency who ripped her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Irish Ferries should name and shame the agency and remove them from their list of agency suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

exactly thats disgracefull behaviour.Dame the recruitment agency!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Named in the Indo today as C F Sharp Crew Management based in Manila, Philippines.

Irish Ferries will have known that the person they employed via that agency would be very poorly paid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This is disgraceful! The government should set up an information campaign to make sure foreigners are aware of their rights.

Advertisement