Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation on a wireless router please!

• 25-03-2005 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I just got adsl from utv, and I need a wireless router. My laptop supports 802.11g and 802.11b. My budget is about €70 so I am a bit undecided on 1 of these 3 :

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router 54 Mbps 802.11g, WPA, 4P switch

SMC Barricade Wireless G 54 Mbps 802.11g, with 4-port switch

3Com OC Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway 802.11g 54 Mbps, WPA, WDS, Nitro

They are all between 70 and 80 euro on komplett, also if another laptop wants access to the connection aswell as mine at the same time is that possible with those 3?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Since you have UTV ADSL I assume you only have one of the ZyXEL USB modems. Be careful that you don't accidentally buy a 'router' as opposed to a unit with a modem too. Most of the units at the 70/80 Euro price range tend to be routers that need to be connected to an external ethernet modem. The product descriptions can be a bit misleading. I assume you want/need a single unit router/modem. I think (without looking too closely) that all three units you mention are router only and have no RJ11 phone connection.

You can connect as many wireless/wired devices as you want to a router and share the connection among them.

I have a Netgear DG834G (bought from Dabs) and I'm very happy with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I have a Netgear DG834G (bought from Dabs) and I'm very happy with it.

With one of these, does it connect automatically to your ISP without having to switch on a connected PC? ie. does it provide always on access to the internet for wireless devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

LFCFan wrote:
    With one of these, does it connect automatically to your ISP without having to switch on a connected PC? ie. does it provide always on access to the internet for wireless devices?

Correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Basically you connect your supplied broadband modem directly to your new router, and the router has always on internet. Then any computer can connect to the router, and the router routes the internet to the different computers.

I always wanted to talk about how a router routes internet :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Repli wrote:
    Hi guys, I just got adsl from utv, and I need a wireless router. My laptop supports 802.11g and 802.11b. My budget is about €70 so I am a bit undecided on 1 of these 3 :

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router 54 Mbps 802.11g, WPA, 4P switch

SMC Barricade Wireless G 54 Mbps 802.11g, with 4-port switch

3Com OC Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway 802.11g 54 Mbps, WPA, WDS, Nitro

They are all between 70 and 80 euro on komplett, also if another laptop wants access to the connection aswell as mine at the same time is that possible with those 3?

Thanks in advance

If you just got bb from UTV then you probably have the Creative modem which they have started using recently which means that the router option is open to you. However given the relatively small difference in price nowadays an all in one such as the linksys wag54g which it not much more than 100 euros in It Direct is pretty good value and less complicated to set up if you are new to the wireless thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Advertisement