Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned'ed from politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

amp wrote:
    Care to enlighten me what the right end of the stick looks like?
    Typically people don't like the pointy / icky end. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

amp wrote:
    Care to enlighten me what the right end of the stick looks like?

As for learning, it's plainly obvious that certain people are cursed of being addicted to seeking new information about the universe.

and some still make the same mistakes over and over again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I argee with WWm, there is no stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The Muppet wrote:
    I wouldn't like to see politics take that route either but if it did I don't see that as an issue. there would be no need to declare your political views when requiring access. There is no evidence from the soccer access forum that people are sponsored solely because they support x or y club. I don't see politics being any different.

while this might be true for new members to boards.ie it would not be the case for the existing members.

you would only have had to have read their previous posts to figure out their political allegiances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Gir

I dont think there is a stick either. Being banned is one thing. Rudeness is another.

What is really upsetting is that I would loved to have entered into a discussion of the following news article this morning
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4381205.stm

It seems that while all sides are being asked to seek peaceful means of moving forward that the powers that be are still stocking up on weapons of not so mass destruction but quite sore. Sometimes lethal if you get hit in the right or wrong place.
    It would have been interesting to see what views people from this site would have felt on the move.

But I cant post it.

That is what is sad about this whole affair.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

make a new account :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Gir wrote:
    I dont think there is a stick either. Being banned is one thing. Rudeness is another.

bla bla bla..

But I cant post it.

That is what is sad about this whole affair.

:(

Quiet you, can't you see your just a pawn in this game of cat and mouse between various people on this board. ever switching allegences and enemies, the big boys are playing, go away you've served your purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Gir wrote:

What is really upsetting is that I would loved to have entered into a discussion

there are rules governing the discussion on the politics forum. You broke one of those rules, got a warning, broke it again and were banned. You had demonstrated you weren't capable of following the rules required for discussion on the politics forum. Sad for you perhaps, better for the forum.
    WWM wrote:
    make a new account :P
    then leave it dormant for a few months, so if you get banned again you can use it. No wait, hold on a second...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

while this might be true for new members to boards.ie it would not be the case for the existing members.

you would only have had to have read their previous posts to figure out their political allegiances

Existing members who post on politics would have access from the outset. Thats what happened on Soccer anyway with 10 or so notable exceptions. ;) . I really dont see bias being an issue .

That said it would be a shame to see politics go that way but if the alternative is to have second account holders baiting other users I can only see the problems on politics getting worse. The access model is a proven way to counter that problem if this is a problem and not just an isolated case.

The Muppet wrote:
    Existing members who post on politics would have access from the outset. Thats what happened on Soccer anyway with 10 or so notable exceptions. ;) . I really dont see bias being an issue .

and who decides who is a regular poster? politics is different to soccer in that it affects everybody which soccer does not. there might be certain issues which I would post about in politics, and others I would just read. people who post perfectly valid and interesting posts, but not very often would be left out looking for a sponsor.
    That said it would be a shame to see politics go that way but if the alternative is to have second account holders baiting other users I can only see the problems on politics getting worse.

this can happen in all of the forums. when it comes to bating, it takes two to tango in my opinion. it is down to the individual to be able to tell the difference between a bate and a valid point.
    The access model is a proven way to counter that problem if this is a problem and not just an isolated case.

I am unfamiliar with the history behind the introduction of the soccer forum's acces requests board. but seeing the way that the sponsor also gets banned I dont think I would be willing to sponsor anybody if this were done with the politics board. especially when you have users coming over to this site from more extremist websites, how do you tell the difference between a genuine newbie and some muppet from stormfront or naFianna/IRBB? whose sole intention is to spout bigotry, racism or hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Attitude should hardly mean a ban. But if that attitude involves insults etc., well thats another matter.
    Of course, Gandalf stated it was for attitude.
    Thats like totally uncool dude.

he did insult gandalf though, and was about to be banned by another moderator anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Sangre wrote:
    Attitude should hardly mean a ban. But if that attitude involves insults etc., well thats another matter.
    Of course, Gandalf stated it was for attitude.
    Thats like totally uncool dude.

of course having studied the thread in question you know what happened? :rolleyes:
    didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Gir wrote:
    I hope you didnt think I was insinuating you were a retard too? Like on some bus full of retard people on a day trip to de Zoo discussing NI politics?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

gandalf wrote:
    You were banned for your attitude more than the personal insults.

Whats a newbie to think?

Anyway, I was speaking in general terms with the first line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The Muppet wrote:
    The mods are being caught in the middle and taking flak from both sides. Cop on guys and respect the tough task they have in "hot" fora like politics.
    I think it's very important for moderation to be questioned and criticised at times, the fact that the politics mods have a really hard job is neither here nor there.

I do think it's important to be polite when you're being critical if only becuase it increases the chances of what you're saying not being lost in the noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Gir

he did insult gandalf though, and was about to be banned by another moderator anyway.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Did your mother never tell you that? I apologise for an offence caused if you are an orphan or test tube kiddie. Its not like test tubes go around enlightening people. They cant speak for a start!

DapperGent wrote:
    I think it's very important for moderation to be questioned and criticised at times, the fact that the politics mods have a really hard job is neither here nor there.

I do think it's important to be polite when you're being critical if only becuase it increases the chances of what you're saying not being lost in the noise.

I agree but it is impossible for the Mods function if when they Ban a user he just turns up under a different username and continues from where he left off as is obviously the case here.

The Muppet wrote:
    I agree but it is impossible for the Mods function if when they Ban a user he just turns up under a different username and continues from where he left off as is obviously the case here.

but that happens on this forum too. remember bananayoghurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

and some still make the same mistakes over and over again ;)

Taking the mystery wrapped in a enigma, wrapped in a puzzle approach?

• Advertisement

but that happens on this forum too. remember bananayoghurt?

Your point is?

my point is that people setting up second accounts to troll a board is not a good reason to make it only accessible by request, as it probably happens on most of the boards on the site.

my point is that people setting up second accounts to troll a board is not a good reason to make it only accessible by request, as it probably happens on most of the boards on the site.

Well the affect such actions will have will vary from forum to forum. On After hours etc the effect would be minimal but on Fora where there are groups of users with entrenched opinions and allegiances it can cause serious trouble and make the forum useless as a place for discusssion and just one almighty flame baiting operation as happened on soccer last year hence the access system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I do think it's important to be polite

When dealing with people who aren't being muppets towards you yes. After a certain point, politeness becomes a relative concept!

The Muppet wrote:
    Well the affect such actions will have will vary from forum to forum. On After hours etc the effect would be minimal but on Fora where there are groups of users with entrenched opinions and allegiances it can cause serious trouble and make the forum useless as a place for discusssion and just one almighty flame baiting operation as happened on soccer last year hence the access system.

then why not have pre-moderated politics forum. would this not solve the problem?

everyone would have access and the ****e would be cleared out before it had a chance to turn into a flamewar.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

then why not have pre-moderated politics forum. would this not solve the problem?

Well, the current volume of posts on the forum presents difficulties for the mods in that they can't read all of them. This would essentially mean that mods are reading all posts and therefore it may just not be practical (leaving aside if it's desirable or not, I'm not really sure either way).

On the other hand, slowing down the pace would mean less rash reactionary posting hopefully (and therefore less posts overall) and it would only take one mod to allow a post ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

TBH I think if anything politics has calmed down in the past week as regards personal insults etc and the mods are starting to get on top of that sit-yee-ay-shun. What's really turning things to crap over there is the way every thread gets dragged off topic as soon as one side of the debate starts to have its argument demolished. (not that there should just be two sides to a thread but particularly on northern threads this is the case between "republican" and "citizen" posters as i tend to think of them)

While there are some potentially interesting threads over there, at the moment it's like a barn dance in the appalachians - all cross bred and dancing to oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

While I'm loathe to try and put words into gandalf's mouth, I'm assuming that what he meant by the attitude/insult comment was that while the insults were a breach of the rules, they may not have resulted in as harsh a judgement except that they were both entrenched in posts where the entire attitude was, umm, less than polite.

So I'd guess that the attitude is what made the sentence a ban....but the insults were the "crime".

Thats how I read it anyway.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

ecksor wrote:
    Well, the current volume of posts on the forum presents difficulties for the mods in that they can't read all of them. This would essentially mean that mods are reading all posts and therefore it may just not be practical (leaving aside if it's desirable or not, I'm not really sure either way).

On the other hand, slowing down the pace would mean less rash reactionary posting hopefully (and therefore less posts overall) and it would only take one mod to allow a post ...
    My solution is that the politics mods should partition the alphabet into sections. Then each mod will have control over threads that start in a particular letter of the aphabet. Earthman takes A->I, sceptre takes J->Q and uberwolf takes R->Z. Gandalf being cat mod gets all threads starting in a number or non letter entity, exclamation mark or asterisk for example.

This way everybody gets a lesser volume of posts to mod and it makes it fun too. They can also say such things like "oooh, a lot of I posts today, bad luck earthman!"

But to solve this they could rotate the alphabet and each mod would manage to get a new fresh block of alphabetty every.. month for example.

Now that's what I call magic.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:
    This way everybody gets a lesser volume of posts to mod and it makes it fun too. They can also say such things like "oooh, a lot of I posts today, bad luck earthman!"
    I can see a problem already...I get all the I love sinn féin,I hate sinn féin threads...
    It would be cruelty :D

Advertisement