Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've Had Enough

• 25-03-2005 5:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

That's it. I sent an E-Mail to IBB cancelling my Ripwave, I've had 3 months of dropped connections, every 20-30 minutes, the best was 4 hours with no service, connnect for 5 minutes, disconnect for 30 minutes. 2 minutes for a page to load, crap download speeds, I once got 25k a sec. Then dropped connnections again, waiting 5 minutes to renew an IP address, dropped again. Try playing Poker with this rubbish and see how I feel.

I'm based 2.9k from RTE, 3.1K from Guinness, they claim 17k in ideal conditions, 5k to be on the safe side, ask my bollocks, it's a rubbish product that was never tested. The coverage map changes on a daily basis. some days you're in, most days you're not. Ring support, wait 45 minutes, explain the problem, once you get past the term IP address, he hasn't a clue. He'll update your firmware(never happens, did it myself, after 3 calls). he'll change your mast, makes no difference, it's a ****e product

Numerous calls to IIB result in lenghty waits and then talking to some clown who hasn't a clue what he's talking about. E-Mails go unanswered for weeks.
    I was sold this product on the understanding that if it didn't work, I would get a full refund, I've stuck it for 2 months, purely because I have no other choice. So my 100 Euro connection fee, and 60 Euro rental gone for bollocks service, I'm sure they will never give a refund as they would have to answer a call first.

How they ever got away with selling this crap is beyond me, then again, they got 160 Euro out of me so why not?.

There's some guy posts here from IBB, I'd be interested in his comments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kalenn

i got breeze 1mb line from irish broadband last week im getting 160k a second downloads. im in clondalkin so there is a good line of site. a friend of mine has ripwave though and he has had a lot of problems with it too. its just not worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Sorry to hear your bad story Oddjob :(

Maybe tell your story to the Consumer Association or ComReg.

But I'd get onto IBB, let them know what your next steps might be - and give them the opportunity to somehow 'make amends'. If they do nothing - then tell your story to anyone and everyone; In the short time I'm on boards plenty of people have been asking is ripwave or breeze any good; and you're not the only one to have left very disappointed.

Just my 0.2 cent.
    Are DSL and ntl not an option where you are?

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

I live in an apartment block, so can cannot put a dish/aerial on the roof, I'm at this 8 months. I 've tried Eircom/Esat/UTV/NTL and anyone else,

I got Ripwave, because I had no other choice, I play a lot of poker online, and I've reached the end, it's pure muck. The sad part is I install DSL in customers, and the odd time have to recommend IBB. The business application is totally diferrent, though I've got to a stage where, personally, I would never recommend them for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if u did put an aerial on the roof no one would know about it anyway probably? also surely there is some way of improving reception with ripwave with some kind of large indoor aerial. the other thing is concrete apartment buildings arent the best for letting signals in.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

I've never had a problem with Ripwave and i am in Blackrock. The connection drops once or twice, download speeds have always been solid.

Its a pity really, cos I only use it for surfing and downloading. I never play games with it.

Best of luck with another connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Oddjob wrote:
    I live in an apartment block, so can cannot put a dish/aerial on the roof, I'm at this 8 months. I 've tried Eircom/Esat/UTV/NTL and anyone else,

I got Ripwave, because I had no other choice, I play a lot of poker online, and I've reached the end, it's pure muck. The sad part is I install DSL in customers, and the odd time have to recommend IBB. The business application is totally diferrent, though I've got to a stage where, personally, I would never recommend them for anything.

Its a very discreate arial some people have it on thier balconies in Blanch and have made a feature of it !! Like a clothes line ! hehehhe ditch ripwave and get Breeze the 2mb upgrade is in testing 2mb up and down for €50! Best package alround

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OldTitan

Oddjob wrote:

Hi OddJob,

When RipWave works, its brilliant. When it doesn't, often it can't. RipWave has suffered from some glitches. Some of the earlier ethernet units were shipped from Taiwan with faulty cables. If you have an ethernet unit, and you are getting these issues, I would suspect the cable. Also, if you are using a laptop with Centrino built it, you may need to disable the wireless side unless you are actually connecting to a wireless network.

If neither of this works, PM me and IBB will send some people around to understand your problems. Navini currently have a team working with us and this would be a good problem for them to solve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

OldTitan wrote:
    PM me and IBB will send some people around to understand your problems.

You wont be doing much complaining when your being fed through a straw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

At last a bit of good news. After 8 months of trying every company in Ireland I think I might have DSl sorted. My line failed the Eircom test, so I had the line tested by an engineer, he told me there was nothing wrong with the line except it was a carrier. I applied for a new line and was told that this would be no problem, except they would not guarantee it would be DSL enabled. So that was no good, had the line tested twice more, same problem. I finally got an Eircom engineer to check everything and after a couple of hours, he found out it wasn't a carrier line, but their records indicated it was, which is why it failed the test. So now with the records changed, I pass the test and should have DSL in about two weeks.

The timing is great as I got to the stage where the Ripwave was been binned. The whole thing only took 8 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

" he told me there was nothing wrong with the line except it was a carrier."

But if he HAD tested it as he said it would have been obvious it was NOT a carrier (split or pairgained line) . This means he read the info off the database and tested nothing.

Demand a refund !

• Advertisement
Advertisement