Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live areas from Smart

• 25-03-2005 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

What areas have gone live from Smart so far?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cman wrote:

I think Garfield himself is the only one who has reported in so far as being 'live' on Smart. But he did say it was great and definitely no contention problems so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thebigdude

dub45 wrote:
    I think Garfield himself is the only one who has reported in so far as being 'live' on Smart. But he did say it was great and definitely no contention problems so far!

I'll wait for you to correct that....

(HINT: he is the only one using it...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

so what area's have gone live?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cavanman

Was contacted by Smart on Friday to say that Dolphins Barn exchange was ready. Small hitch in that I will have to change my phone number to get connected because of some problem with eircom. Am going to cancel my eircom broadband on Tuesday and get the Smart broadband installed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hmm, it seems no ENFORCEABLE number portability agreement exists which means you will have to be allocated a new number by Smart themselves.

They only have a few ranges allocated to them at present.

01 4850000 4850999 Dublin Central
    01 6580000 6589999 Dublin Central
    01 5078000 5078999 Dublin South
    01 5077000 5077999 Dublin South

As the eircom number is not porting you should really ring eircom to make sure they won't keep billing you for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cavanman

Apparently there is a court case pending in April against eircom for failing to fully implement a Comreg directive for LLU. According to the agent, this will most likely result in delays until Autumn for people wishing to retain their existing number and avail of the Smart DSL service. As a workaround Smart are offering customers who wish to avail of the service before then a new number.

AUTUMN :eek: , no wonder Garfield is hiding out rather than answer my outstanding Telephony questions :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Change number? Ha, ha, no ****ing chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 cman

what areas are after dolphins barn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

cavanman wrote:
    Apparently there is a court case pending in April against eircom for failing to fully implement a Comreg directive for LLU. According to the agent, this will most likely result in delays until Autumn for people wishing to retain their existing number and avail of the Smart DSL service. As a workaround Smart are offering customers who wish to avail of the service before then a new number.
    Jesus this is worrying. I've told digiweb to cancel my dsl on may 11th as I thought this would give smart plenty of time to sort themselves out (my exchange was supposed to go live in march/april). Is there any guarantee they'll win the court case?
    I might try a free trial in the meantime - how long does it take to get connected and what's agood one? Thanks

• Advertisement

don't change the topic digitaldr i want dis one on smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

cman wrote:
    The exchanges that are ready to accept customers are:

Dolphin's Barn
    Summerhill
    Ship St.

Progress is going well on most of the other exchanges, but either eircom haven't fully handed the site over, we haven't installed the equipment, or the civils aren't complete, or a combination of these.

Dub45 is right, no contention issues so far.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Roll out the Ballyboden exchange and I'll die a happy man.

...After I see how amazing 2Mb Broadband is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You *have* to change your phone number? Jeez Eircom are low lifes.

thanks for the list garfield but what do you mean by no contetion issues so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

How soon will people who applied for Smart BB on the live exchanges be contacted? I'm eager to get it installed (I'm on on Dolphins Bar exchange).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Garfield,
    Can you confirm that the only customers that you can connect at present:
    1) Do not have Bitstream-based broadband (or have completely cancelled it in advance)
    and
    2) Are prepared to change their telephone number?

Is it true that this will remain the case until the legal and regulatory issues are sorted and that this could take months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Garfield,
    Any idea when the Galway City exchange will be live?

iano wrote:
    Garfield,
    Can you confirm that the only customers that you can connect at present:

2) Are prepared to change their telephone number?

Is it true that this will remain the case until the legal and regulatory issues are sorted and that this could take months?

There is another way.

1. You LLU to Smart and get a new number. Thats €35 a month to Smart
    2. You forward the existing number from the eircom exchange to the smart number . Thats €24.20 a month to Eircom for the forward.
    3. You pay local call rate for every call that comes to Eircom and is forwarded to Smart, assume €5 a month of calls and you have to keep telling the callers your new number if you want the calls to stop . Ths may only take a short while.
    4. You ensure your old number goes ex-directory if you wish to switch to Smart fully but REMEMBER that Smart numbers cannot be ported from Smart to another carrer whle Ericom numbers can .

Thats €65 a month or so in total .

In 6 months or so (the Autumn) you port the number to Smart finally, Smart will have to agree to allow you to use both numbers for the forseeables as some people wll have your new number only .

Its not a problem as long as Smart gve you 2 numbers coming into the line and by paying Eircom ther €24.20 a month your number is kept 'alive' and portableiseable until the eircom legal kak dies down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NocturnalDonkey

thebigdude wrote:
    I'll wait for you to correct that....

(HINT: he is the only one using it...)

Talk about being slow.... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭ando

Change number? Ha, ha, no ****ing chance.

ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ando wrote:
    ditto

well smart arent really going to have any new customers until number portibility is sorted. all those people who signed up arent going to transfer if a new number is required unless they are young/skint and havent lived in the house for long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

If everyone effected by Eircom not porting numbers to smart. Were to ring Eircom every day, they would eventually give in, as the number of calls would be costing them so much to answer. I think their 1901 number is free :) Maybe ringing Comreg as well would do no harm ;)

My cousin used this tatic to get his phone line replaced (for free) so that he could get broadband, he called them twice a day for two weeks or so, They gave up and would have done nearly anything just to get rid of him.

Willie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

If everyone effected by Eircom not porting numbers to smart. Were to ring Eircom every day, they would eventually give in, as the number of calls would be costing them so much to answer. I think their 1901 number is free :) Maybe ringing Comreg as well would do no harm ;)

My cousin used this tatic to get his phone line replaced (for free) so that he could get broadband, he called them twice a day for two weeks or so, They gave up and would have done nearly anything just to get rid of him.

Willie.

thing is eircom 'own' their numbers so they shouldnt have to port anything if they dont want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

lomb, you don't know what you're talking about. If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't post.

Fairly simple, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well isn't this pretty poor. I'm on the summerhill excahnge and the boyo's are coming next week to install smart broadband. I guess it's a good thing I didn't cancel UTV like smart wanted me to.

Boston wrote:
    Well isn't this pretty poor. I'm on the summerhill excahnge and the boyo's are coming next week to install smart broadband. I guess it's a good thing I didn't cancel UTV like smart wanted me to.

Any chance of tellling us a bit more about this? What contact have you had with Smart?

Pretty poor contact tbh, they have been unable to answer allot of my questions about how the whole utv transition will be handled. I've a preliminary date for sometime next week, with a likelyhood a definite date for instal the week after.

Boston wrote:
    Pretty poor contact tbh, they have been unable to answer allot of my questions about how the whole utv transition will be handled. I've a preliminary date for sometime next week, with a likelyhood a definite date for instal the week after.

Thanks for the info and sorry if I seem to be interrogating you:) but this is the sort of thing I was concerned about from the start (without the complications of the legal stuff even!) I presume that you have not yet cancelled your Clicksilver account?
    Presuming that you havent its hard to believe that UTV will waive the notice period.

And when you say they are ''coming next week'' I presume you mean they are visiting you? If so have they told you why this is necessary? I would have thought that most boards users would be well able to do the 'install' themselves.

• Advertisement

TBH I've no idea what they mean by coming next week. They are fairly flakey. I haven't canceled my utv account either

Advertisement