Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live areas from Smart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

When all is said and done, they're the first ones to actually use the LLU process and discover what a complete farce it is. My only concern is that the eircom court case won't solve all of the issues surrounding the LLU process. It's like eircom are picking a new reason to be non-cooperative every 2nd week.

While Smart should have been upfront from the start (either they knew or they completely underestimated the regulatory environment), I can't help think that bringing this farce to light is a good thing.. and it wouldn't have gotten as much attention if Smart hadn't tried to roll out, I think.

(Yes I know ESat have done LLU, but they never took it seriously, and never had the numbers to process to discover all the pitfalls). Hopefully ComReg are trying to do something about it, but I hope Smart can hold out in the mean time, otherwise it's back to status quo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

iano wrote:
    Are you sure that this "call forwarding solution" is actually viable?

The Smart Telecom rep who phoned to advise of a further delay stated categorically that Eircom have refused to forward calls to the new Smart numbers. She claimed that there was no alternative to a complete break and new number. She further claimed that Eircom had refused to place a recorded message advising of the new number.

YOU YOURSELF request that off Eircom , not Smart, as you are STILL an eircom customer in parallel with being a smart customer so its your voicemail and you can configure it.

What do you think happens all the time when a company moves from one side of Dublin to another, they set call forwarding 'in the exchange' because they cannot take an 01 8xxx number to Sandyford .

Same if you move from one side of Cork to another and cannot bring the number with you.

Eircom cannot refuse you the request as long as you pay them their reduced rental every month. By paying them the reduced line rental every month you keeps your number until portability is sorted properly ....ie after the court case , autumn 2005 earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you are STILL an eircom customer in parallel with being a smart customer
    Only if you ask for this in advance. As soon as the changeover to Smart happens you are no longer an Eircom customer. Has anyone actually managed to keep their Eircom number with voicemail or a redirect? (I didn't bother to even try)

steve-o wrote:
    Only if you ask for this in advance.

Correct. But you would have advance warning you were about to lose your number anyway!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

steve-o wrote:
    Has anyone actually managed to keep their Eircom number with voicemail or a redirect? (I didn't bother to even try)

No, because it cannot be done. The LLU process and number portability cannot happen on the same line according to the incumbent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Was onto Comreg today. They confirmed for me that I would have to go back to Eircom in order to get Smart's broadband (still boggles my mind). They said the court case would be over in June and that I should probably wait till then. She said I could probably get the broadband switched on pretty quickly then.

What are the chances of this outcome occuring in June? Should I just bite the bullet and sign back to Eircom? It'll break my heart if I have to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

PaschalNee wrote:
    I got the same call for the same exchange with the same option to take a new number as a result of the Eircom vs. Comreg case. Perhaps Smart could have been more upfront but I'm so anxious to ditch Eircom as a direct provider that I'm more than happy to call the all people that use my land line (both of them) with a new number.

Paschal.

P.S. Would all the Muppets who keep posting requests for updates here just pick up the phone and call Smart – it’s got to be faster.
    The Muppets request updates here because THE MUPPETS at Smart are incapable of telling the truth

Raoul Duke wrote:
    What are the chances of this outcome occuring in June?

Read the IrelandOffline briefing document on LLU:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256455

WHATS ANOTHER MONTH????????????????????????????????
    Well May is all but over & the phone still hasn,t rang with Smart on the other end!!!!

Has anyone heard anything!!!! After speaking with smart & Garfield I really thought things were getting done... It has all become clear now!!! SMARTS BUSINESS PLAN= Make promises at the start of the month ,disappear for the end of the month, blame Eircom for a week & start again>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Even if an exchange goes live in mid June its going to be July before being connected..
    March to July = 4 Months delay with out as much as a phone call to potential customers!!! Great Management!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I have to ask - do you have an agenda here you'd like to share with us? Looking back at a few of your other posts you see very negative toward some of the new BB providers. The language you use is very emotive and harsh. Do you work in the industry? What's driving all this?

Maybe I'm wrong here and maybe you are just pi55ed off with the whole thing and need somewhere to vent - if so I'll stand corrected.

Paschal.

PS I've no agenda other than getting a good deal on BB
    beller b wrote:
    WHATS ANOTHER MONTH????????????????????????????????
    Well May is all but over & the phone still hasn,t rang with Smart on the other end!!!!

Has anyone heard anything!!!! After speaking with smart & Garfield I really thought things were getting done... It has all become clear now!!! SMARTS BUSINESS PLAN= Make promises at the start of the month ,disappear for the end of the month, blame Eircom for a week & start again>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Even if an exchange goes live in mid June its going to be July before being connected..
    March to July = 4 Months delay with out as much as a phone call to potential customers!!! Great Management!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OldCustomer

I called Smart Telecom this morning to find out when Whitehall exchange would go live. I was told that one exchange - Crown Alley was in front of it and that hopefully it would go live today (31-5-05)...or if not then later this week!

Then it seems, it's Whitehall's turn...

Any further update? Anyone?

Oldie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OldCustomer

Quick reply to my own message. Talked to Smart Customer Service hoping that they would tell me my new number so that I could put it in a business directory. No, they could not. While my number will begin 01658xxxx it will only be allocated when Whitehall exchange goes live. No definite word on when it will be live. I was told that there is an infrastructure problem ...with the roof!

Oldie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Just been on to a young lady at smart telecom and she tells me that the phibsboro exchange won't be up and running for another month. :mad:
    Would have started ranting and raving but her voice was so soothing and sweet i ended up thaking her for her time and her help.
    I'm a sucker. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Looking over the arguments about number forwarding:
    Has anyone got it to work? The reason I ask, is that I'm not sure it will work.

When you set up the permant redirect it moves your phone number off of your physical line. So there is no physical line in Eircom's database corresponding to your number to move to smart..........

I think you would have to get your line reconnected to Eircom (with a different number) before you could move to smart.

Willie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

I was told that one exchange - Crown Alley was in front of it and that hopefully it would go live today (31-5-05)...or if not then later this week!

Please god let this be true!

Looking over the arguments about number forwarding:
    Has anyone got it to work? The reason I ask, is that I'm not sure it will work.

I don't believe forwarding is possible with the current structure.

I rang an eircom number in Galway last week that forwards in the exchange to an ESAT number in Galway before I posted that again.

Its called "forwarding in the exchange" because there is no loop behind the number. !!!!

It can forward to a number or to voicemail , the voicemail can say

Our New Number is blahhhhhhhhhhhh .

This product has existed for years ........ 20 or so I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I got a phone call last night from SMART. I was waiting for him to give me a progress update. NO, I get a sales pitch because my area is now live! Well where is my connection then? They can blame who they like for delays but they are acting terribly when it comes to customer support.

GARFIELD You gone now? Don't appear anymore why is that? Maybe your compnay needs to start providing a service before you keep selling it.

PaschalNee wrote:
    I have to ask - do you have an agenda here you'd like to share with us? Looking back at a few of your other posts you see very negative toward some of the new BB providers. The language you use is very emotive and harsh. Do you work in the industry? What's driving all this?

Maybe I'm wrong here and maybe you are just pi55ed off with the whole thing and need somewhere to vent - if so I'll stand corrected.

Paschal.

PS I've no agenda other than getting a good deal on BB
    Hi Pascal..... No I don,t work for any ISP ..I wish I did & I wouldn,t be stuck on pay as you go dial up....Maybe I am very unlucky when it comes to ISPs but I just havn,t had much positive reaction from any of them... Before I got the phone in I signed up for IBB, I found them the ultimate cowboys who havn,t got a clue....I got Eircoms free 2 month trial only after they failed my line for 4 months...Smart arrived & they seemed like a breath of fresh air , at last some real competition... But it gets very frustrating when companys either lie to you all the time or worse still just seem to have no regard for the customer at all.. I probobly will stick it out at this stage & wait for Smart but it is not for the reason I initially signed up, but purly because they seem like the best of a bad bunch.....
    Anyway Pascal thats a bit of stress relief for today..Nice to know somebody is paying attention to me because I doubt the ISPs do!!!!!

Quick reply to my own message. Talked to Smart Customer Service hoping that they would tell me my new number so that I could put it in a business directory. No, they could not. While my number will begin 01658xxxx it will only be allocated when Whitehall exchange goes live. No definite word on when it will be live. I was told that there is an infrastructure problem ...with the roof!

Oldie
    The roof.... last week with Santry it was digging up the road again...if there is a problem with the roof how come its not affecting Eircom???? As regards Santry the road has being filled in but Smart still can't give a date!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 removefiannafai

And if all that convolution does not amount to the greatest load of s**te one could imagine to try and find a way out of the shambles which enables Eircom to continue on their merry thievery ad infinitum.!
    No wonder poor Smart Telecom shares are dropping daily on the stock market.
    Perhaps Bertie might interviene... on behalf of impecunious students and band hungry young rich mens sons and daughters.?
    Perhaps Mary and the competition loving P.D.s might have a word.
    Viva Fianna Fail.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I rang Smart earlier to find out what the latest on Crown Alley was.I was told I should have it...sometime this month.Hope its sooner rather than later,getting mighty tired of waiting.....

Don't hold your breath benny! 5 weeks ago some Muppet in Smart told me "within 12 days!) 30 day later the exchange is not even live, & they still can,t commit themselves to a date.. Garfield said end of May & he hasnt been seen since..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

beller_b, if you have nothing more to say then the usual **** you are constantly spreading in the forum, then shut up.

Give the man a ****ing break, i'd say he's personally responable for our nice 1/2Mb connection speeds. His announcment alone of the product has got eircom off their collective lard asses and upgraded everyone's speed

Atleast he is bothered to come on to boards and tell us about his product and help out when he can. I don't see eircom or esat coming on here to answers people's questions, do you?

Its one bigass project, and I regret him giving out dates because all it gives assholes like you something to moan about. Thats all I ever see you do, moan moan and moan. I don't think i've ever seen you bitch about other dsl companies who screw people around more. What is it? Pick on the new player in town?

I don't think you realise the amount of work and investment goes into providing a service like this before they can even take the money of customers.

Dig a hole in the road all the way from the MAN to the exchange, get permissions from several people, lay fibre all the way, pay for DSLAMS, eircom for exchange use, your line rental etc. The list goes on.

In short, unless you have something constructive to say. shut your ****ing mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

have to agree about Garfield, he doesn't owe anyone anything, he is doing you a favour, and troubled himself enough to come on the boards and answer questions, so get of his back people!

yea that and **** eircom

CyberGhost wrote:
    have to agree about Garfield, he doesn't owe anyone anything, he is doing you a favour, and troubled himself enough to come on the boards and answer questions, so get of his back people!

yea that and **** eircom

Atleast I'm not the only one with a crazy idea like that

Also: hurrah 100th post! Despite the fact I joined in 2003, go me!

CyberGhost wrote:

Well he did advise us to take up their telephone service while waiting for the broadband. Because of this "advice" I'm unable to actually get Smart's broadband at the moment.

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Well he did advise us to take up their telephone service while waiting for the broadband. Because of this "advice" I'm unable to actually get Smart's broadband at the moment.

So its his fault eircom won't process people on smart's wlr service? you know, they did find out after they gave out that advice.

Just for your information

TimTim wrote:
    So its his fault eircom won't process people on smart's wlr service? you know, they did find out after they gave out that advice.

Just for your information

Was the advice taken back? If it was I missed it. Point it out to me and then I'll leave Smart alone. Of course, it's not all their fault but it's partly theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

TimTim, and everyone else.

Civil behaviour from now on or bans will be handed out with no further warning.

Advertisement