Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live areas from Smart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Hi Tim !! Nice to see you too.....
    "I don't think i've ever seen you bitch about other dsl companies who screw people around more. What is it? Pick on the new player in town? "
    If you are going to make comments like this at least read my posts, believe me I have had a go at them all....

I agree with you ! it is a "Bigass project" but again if you had read some of my posts you would know I understand there will be delays & I dont have a problem with this, I do have a problem with them telling blatent lies or simply refusing to bother keeping the customer informed.... We had the same problem last month when Smart announced a number of exchanges were going live May 9th & when it didn't happen they said nothing & Garfield was nowhere to be seen..
    Since then I have had a number of discussions with Garfield, who admitted to me that he understood the frustrations & promised to keep us informed....

Believe me tim I do understand the amount of work involved .... But I have said this again & again if you keep the customer informed & don't lie to them it would save a lot of grief...
    I seem to have got your back up with some of my posts & if my ranting stresses you I am sorry .... But it comes from the frustration with the situation & the ammount of different excuses I have got from Smart.....

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Was the advice taken back? If it was I missed it. Point it out to me and then I'll leave Smart alone. Of course, it's not all their fault but it's partly theirs.
    This is SMARTS FAULT they give 2 totally different answers to this... Garfield said take out the telephone service...When I asked if this would help processing the order I was told NO it WILL complicate it..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Go SMART!!

ringsend (beggars bush exchange) is live.... modem arrived by courier on saturday and an absolute doddle to set up.

Still, they were awful at letting us know how the progress was going... in the ten weeks or so since I signed up I've only gotten two phone calls and both of them were today. For some funny reason after the modem was delivered and everything hooked up they decided to call and check if things were okay. And barely a dickie bird since March! Though, I've called them _a lot_

I would have preferred if they had been honest from the start and not given the impression that as soon as I called them, I'd be hooked up to broadband in ten days. :mad:

So, all y'all just hang on Smart are coming and it sure is fast too. - 2052 down and 146 up from http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

I had to ask for some compo before they offered the 20 euro, be sure to ask!

E35 a month kicks eircon's a$$!!

I would have preferred if they had been honest from the start and not given the impression that as soon as I called them, I'd be hooked up to broadband in ten days.

"Atleast I'm not the only one with a crazy idea like that" LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Well he did advise us to take up their telephone service while waiting for the broadband. Because of this "advice" I'm unable to actually get Smart's broadband at the moment.

ok.

I don't know and I don't care what's going on,

I'm out of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Ok, I'll admit it. I was over the top in my last post but its annoying seeing the same stuff over and over, again and again, etc.
    edanto wrote:
    Go SMART!!

This is a perfect example of why they should just be left doing their job and stop being constantly being asked of "OMG TEH EXCHANGERZ NOT LIVES YET"

Sure there could be more contact with customers but they get the job done just look at edanto's post, not a phone call for 10 weeks and gets his modem on saturday, gets two calls in the same day and ta da. He's now a happy Smart customer.

I'd be happier knowing they are just getting on with it and not stopping every 5 minutes to deal with some person looking for info on when their exchange to go live.

I agree.... we are just going around in circles & as Garfield has either abandoned us or been sacked by Smart....Mods! I think its time for this thread to go !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

beller b wrote:
    I agree.... we are just going around in circles & as Garfield has either abandoned us or been sacked by Smart....Mods! I think its time for this thread to go !!!!!!
    Maybe his smart broadband connection crapped out on him :eek:

That should get him back

What!!!! the famous 6.6mps on the line that eircom failed???????????????????? Got that speed because they wouldn,t connect anyone else to the exchange

Maybe his smart broadband connection crapped out on him :eek:

That should get him back

Friends in low places tell me otherwise.
    beller_b wrote:
    What!!!! the famous 6.6mps on the line that eircom failed???????????????????? Got that speed because they wouldn,t connect anyone else to the exchange

Well if memory serves me correctly, there is 2.5Gb pipes going to each DSLAM, so I somehow doubt a 6Mb connection is going to put a stop to others joining.

• Advertisement

I was refering to Smart,s speed at which they connect customers!!!

beller b wrote:
    I was refering to Smart,s speed at which they connect customers!!!

*makes whoosh sound*

That just flew straight by. Usually I get them. hehe

Just out of curiosity, what exchange are you on?

Moriarty...PLEASE PLEASE put us out of our misery & lock this thread..at least untill Garfield gets his courage up again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Well I've gone live this week on Smart Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Where abouts are you? What exchange you on?

Nangor Road exchange in Clondalkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

aye, smart told me yesterday that crown alley was live, but it could take up to a fortnight to get me my modem, argh

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Can you post your pings to boards.ie and clarity.jolt.co.uk

Just like to see how it performs.

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.36] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=179ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=55

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=240ms TTL=59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Narcom

beller b wrote:
    Beller b, I'm on Smart off the Dolphins Barn exchange and I also get 6.6-6.8Mb (consistently, but regularly can hit 8Mb+). So it is not a nonsense story and there are customers live and happily using Smart BB.
    Pings are typically the following or better:
    heanet 7-8ms
    boards 12-15ms
    jolt 15-20ms

When they get the exchange live and you get the modem/router, it certainly works!

• Advertisement

Narcom wrote:
    Beller b, I'm on Smart off the Dolphins Barn exchange and I also get 6.6-6.8Mb (consistently, but regularly can hit 8Mb+). So it is not a nonsense story and there are customers live and happily using Smart BB.
    Pings are typically the following or better:
    heanet 7-8ms
    boards 12-15ms
    jolt 15-20ms

When they get the exchange live and you get the modem/router, it certainly works!
    I didn't know smart were selling a 6mbps product????? How much are you charged for that????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

beller b wrote:
    I didn't know smart were selling a 6mbps product????? How much are you charged for that????

There is only one package, 35 per month, it's a 2mb connection but varies depending on the exchange, I guess some people are just lucky, eh?

Btw, anyone have Smart in Waterford yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Narcom

beller b wrote:

It isn't publically available, I'm on the normal BB package. After being connected early in the rollout to the exchange, I was asked to provide feedback and to trial some alternative settings etc such as adjusting the interleaving etc. I can't really fault the speed or response times and it demonstrates that they have the technical capability if and when they get around to connecting customers.

It also bodes well for services/speeds in the future as I think their ADSL2+ kit can possibly go to 20Mbps (depending on distance and other factors)

I'm sure I'll get returned to the normal speeds eventually, it's very easy to get used to it though.... :)

Sounds good & I still think they have the best product.. It is unfortunate that thier roll out is so unorganised , as is thier customer service...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭opus

Had an email from Smart Customer serivce today saying that Quaker Road in Cork was going live in mid-late July, around a month behind schedule but I'll be happy if it really turns out to be the case :)

From experience. Don,t believe an exchange will be live on any date untill you see your modem connected & the DSL light go green... I have heard nothing but lies from Smart.We were pawned off on a week by week basis for over 3 months. Garfield stated that the equipment was all in place & the only delay was Eircom acting the maggot... B****X, LIES, & more lies ..funny how 3 week after that I got an email from Smart saying the equipment was ALMOST in place.....Thank god I had BT to turn to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

well ive just signed up for smart broadband and their website says it'll hit the rathmines exchange in july/august.
    my initial plan was to sign up for esatbt till smart arrived as they had a no minnimum term contract on the go at the time, but by the time i had got a phone line sorted from eircom, esat had imposed a six month minimum term.

what do you folks reckon my best option is? is there anyone else offering a no minimum term contract that i can hook up with in the meantime? or am i better off waiting and hoping im hooked up in july/august like they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Go for BT's 6 month package with the introductory rates. Over those 6 months it's not going to cost you a whole lot more than Smart's service and by then maybe things have settled down with re to Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Yeah I agree...get a 6month contract with BT and wait for things with Smart to settle it out in the courts.

Honestly I wouldnt hold your breath for your exchange to be LLU enabled by Smart!

• Advertisement

Yeah definatly go with BTs offer.. On Smarts track record your 6 months could well be up by the time Smart get the exchange live...

Advertisement