Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live areas from Smart

18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Paul007 wrote:
    .....I've heard people mentioning that BT can send you a DSL transfer form which enables you to change over to their broadband with little to no downtime.
    Do Smart do this aswell?
    Paul,

BT can do this as they resell the eircom product. We're not reselling, so there's no such form, apologies.

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Paul,

BT can do this as they resell the eircom product. We're not reselling, so there's no such form, apologies.

Garfield.

Bummer

Oh well, I'll just have to go without for a while.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CaptSolo

Hey garfield, any update on the shantalla exchange in Galway? Ill be willing to change my number too. S.

Hi, Garfield!

Any news on the Shantalla exchange in Galway?
    Smart website said May/June couple of weeks ago.
    Now it only says: "Your phone number ... is in the exchange SHANTALLA.
    This exchange is on our current Network Build Programme for this year." :(

Best,
    CaptSolo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

CaptSolo wrote:
    Hi, Garfield!
    Any news on the Shantalla exchange in Galway?
    Smart website said May/June couple of weeks ago.
    Now it only says: "Your phone number ... is in the exchange SHANTALLA.
    This exchange is on our current Network Build Programme for this year." :(
    Best,
    CaptSolo

Quote from post above:
    "Churchfield, Dennehey's Cross, Letterkenny, Mervue, Quaker Road, Shantalla and Wellington Road. All of these exchanges should go live in the next 4- 8 weeks."

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

The next exchanges to be made available are:

Churchfield, Dennehey's Cross, Letterkenny, Mervue, Quaker Road, Shantallaand Wellington Road. All of these exchanges should go live in the next 4- 8 weeks.

There's your answer.

Garfield, thanks for the info about Clontarf, the person on the phone said ALMOST live and that word has been used by SMART to mean quite a while, but glad to hear it should only be a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Garfield,
    I notice that Whitehall has disappeared from the list.
    4 weeks ago, Smart rang to say Whitehall should be live by end June.
    Has it now gone on the indefinite long finger?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

J-blk wrote:
    At least tell us where we stand - what's going on with the legal battle, something...

Thank you Garfield - this is what I reckon a lot of people in my position are looking for and is greatly appreciated. I'd have to second Dub45's point about grafting a statement with the information of your post on Smart's site.

Though I do see your point about removing dates on the site, it only works for customers now making a decision to move to Smart. For people like myself, who signed up months ago, seeing a statement such as "near future", with no explanation at all, only adds to the frustration...

So, thanks for the update - unfortunately, I saw nothing about North Main anywhere in your post, so it seems I'm still stuck indefinitely with Eircom product re-sellers.... Argh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

Thanks for the update,
    I too am on the Whitehall exchange. Looks like i'll be waiting for smart for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Thanks for the update Garfield, but to add my voice to two others here, what's happening in the Whitehall exchange? I've spoken to several reps in Smart and they're all very vague about the 'issues' they're having getting into it? What exactly is the deal there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I am in Summerhill and some woman phoned me about 2 months ago to say that was I still interested etc after my initial interest and I said ya, never heard from her again :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Summerhill appears to be LIVE...so give smart a ring.
    Place a deadline for 2 weeks to get everything done(line enabled+equipment) or else go to another DSL provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tosher

Hi all,

Does anybody know when the case is due before the courts?
    Very keen to get connected with Smart, but not very keen to change my home phone number.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Tosher wrote:
    Hi all,

14th July

I found this from the court service website under Legal diary (look under future cases).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Tosher wrote:
    Very keen to get connected with Smart, but not very keen to change my home phone number.

The real question is when will it end? It could take ages in the courts and even assuming Eircom takes a massive beating legally, how long after the ruling, will they have to comply to the courts orders? Could be awhile unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Garfield makes the effort to come on & update us. Fair play...But why does no one update Smarts web site.. If Santry is live why does the site still say
    "Your phone number 18628989 is in the exchange SANTRY.
    This exchange is on our current Network Build Programme for this year.
    If you would like to avail of this amazing offer, please sign-up below and we will contact you as soon as your exchange becomes available. "

Same old Same Old!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

J-blk wrote:
    The real question is when will it end? It could take ages in the courts and even assuming Eircom takes a massive beating legally, how long after the ruling, will they have to comply to the courts orders? Could be awhile unfortunately...

Eircom supposedly doesn't have systems in place to deal with what Smart wants, so assuming that's true and they lose, they will have to develop those systems which will obviously take a while, particularly for a company that has no interest in doing it in the first place...

My guess is that it will take years before LLU is sorted out properly in Ireland!!!

Even if Smart get LLU access within a year...they wont provide a service like Bulldog in the UK provide...ie 8Mbit.

Smart wont provide the high speeds...only high enough to make them competitive!!!

Garfield was boasting of his 6Mbit home connection...with ADSL2..he should have been boasting of a 16Mbit connection!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

zuma wrote:
    Garfield was boasting of his 6Mbit home connection...with ADSL2..he should have been boasting of a 16Mbit connection!!!

My BB was activated today. According to irishisptest.com I'm getting 88.6 kbps down / 61.7kbps up. I could almost boost of having a shoddy ISDN connection eventhough I'm connected to Smart's "2mbit" BB. I'm run off the crown alley exchange which is about 2 blocks from my apartment.

:(

88.6 kbps down / 61.7kbps up...wtf!!!

Could you upload a pic of the screen to imageshack as I find that hard to believe...understandable when using wireless...but DSL should never give such a low speed!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

sleur wrote:
    My BB was activated today. According to irishisptest.com I'm getting 88.6 kbps down / 61.7kbps up. I could almost boost of having a shoddy ISDN connection eventhough I'm connected to Smart's "2mbit" BB. I'm run off the crown alley exchange which is about 2 blocks from my apartment.

:(

Why don't you send a email with the screenshot to broadband@smarttelecom.ie and see what Smart have to say for it.

• Advertisement

speed has improved somewhat...i'm hoping this is just a temporary glitch. both speed tests so far were done with just firefox (no other applications were using bandwidth)

smart_speed.png

Your upload speed is perfect...but that download speed is similar to what I used to get when DSL was 512K!!!

Give it the weekend to stabilise and if its still this slow on Sunday...email and complain on Monday.

yeah, that's the plan. i'll give it a few days before jumping the gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I'm getting a download speed of 1.96Mbps and upload of 130kbps! But I guess it is almost 1am. I am also on the Smart exchange. No probs so far!!! Seems fine! I only have it a few days though.

Smart must be increasing theie Download/Upload speeds to compensate for the lossy effects of PPPoE(is that what they use?) or is it PPPoA as those speeds are far higher than what is possible with eircom bitstream!!!

I normially get 1.72/110 or so on my speed test as a reference point.

everything as it should be now.....thank god.

smart_screen2.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Smart BB have speeds a good 10% to 20% faster than eircom bitstream!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

juliuspret wrote:
    Smart BB have speeds a good 10% to 20% faster than eircom bitstream!!!

But dont forget that compared to Eircom they have virtuallyl no customer!
    As the numbers increase it will be interesting to see how the speeds hold up.

BT do the same thing in the UK...568K in the line to give the customer a speed closer to 512k.
    Also in the UK they use mostly PPPoA which has less error correcting taking up bandwidth...oh the joys of eircom,PPPoE and their delipitated telco network.

I'd say it should stay at these levels when they have something resembling a customer base...unless of course eircom bankrupt them in legal fee's!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement