Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live areas from Smart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

cman wrote:
    What areas have gone live from Smart so far?
    Live on Summerhill exchange since lunchtime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Just got this e-mail this morning from Smart Telecom, after I wrote to them three times:
    There is a delay with the Phibsboro exchange. We apologise for the
    inconvenience caused and would like to assure you that we are endeavouring
    to rectify the situation so that we can bring Broadband to you as soon as
    possible. We will be in contact with you shortly with a update.

I'm guessing It'll be at least another month :-(

I'm annoyed with the delay but since I'm thinking on going on holidays for a few weeks in May it shouldn't be so bad, maybe it will be ready when i get back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ringo6

WezzyB wrote:
    Just got this e-mail this morning from Smart Telecom, after I wrote to them three times:

I'm guessing It'll be at least another month :-(

I'm annoyed with the delay but since I'm thinking on going on holidays for a few weeks in May it shouldn't be so bad, maybe it will be ready when i get back....

I'm on the Phibsboro exchange as well and when I checked the Smart site today, this is what I got:

Your phone number 1XXXXXXX is in the exchange PHIBSBORO.
    Congratulations, Broadband is available to you! Would you like to avail of this amazing offer?

I've mailed them as I haven't received any notification so far so I'll let you know when they get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Yep I saw that they changed the message to what you said Ringo6 so hopefully it shouldn't be too long.

The waiting game isn't much fun...

I'll post back if I get any further response but given that it took three e-mails to get a vague response I won't hold out too much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Got a call from smart on tuesday and Nangor rd is live and i should have the modem in the next day or so and connected in 10 to 12 days. had to change number though.

Rgds
    Scary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

scary wrote:
    Got a call from smart on tuesday and Nangor rd is live and i should have the modem in the next day or so and connected in 10 to 12 days. had to change number though.

Rgds
    Scary
    Good luck to you. I'm on Dolphin's Barn, and I had the "congratulations" call 3 weeks ago. And again last week. Modem was promised last week but still waiting. Am I the only person experiencing this messing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

steve-o, giv em a ring everyday and push it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

toil wrote:
    steve-o, giv em a ring everyday and push it....
    Agreed! jeez after all thier delays you would think they would be a little more eager to get the modems out.. You can get an order from the States delivered in a week but to get a modem from City West to Dublin takes forever. Somethings not right here.. Any sign of Garfield lately? he should be able to shine some light on the subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

beller b wrote:
    Agreed! jeez after all thier delays you would think they would be a little more eager to get the modems out.. You can get an order from the States delivered in a week but to get a modem from City West to Dublin takes forever. Somethings not right here.. Any sign of Garfield lately? he should be able to shine some light on the subject!
    Steve-o,

Don't know why you haven't received your modem or been jumpered. PM me your contact details and I'll look at it tomorrow.

Garfield.

Steve-o,

Don't know why you haven't received your modem or been jumpered. PM me your contact details and I'll look at it tomorrow.

Garfield.
    Garfield good to hear from you.. got the email re santry May 9th. Is that the date the exchange goes live ? Will you be connecting people from that date.?
    Still available for testing LOL .. Begging is better than dial up any day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

Steve-o,

Garfield.
    I'm now connected (Dolphin's Barn)... phone line switched over on Wednesday and router arrived on Thursday. Getting 1.72Mb/s down and 101Kb/s up. Not bad for a tenner a month!

It took a lot longer than I expected (Smart's office seems disorganised to say the least), but thanks to Garfield for getting it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Hey garfield, any update on the shantalla exchange in Galway? Ill be willing to change my number too.

S.

Nice one Steve- Where is Garfield ? Maybe he'll get me sorted on Santry ! tomorrow's the 9th lets go Garfield!!!!!

Well here we are 9th May... Went to Smarts site to see if it was changed to "Broadband is available now" What do we get insted * this date is indicative only and Smart Telecom will be in contact with you when your exchange is live.
    Does that mean June/July.. I am confused at this point when we were getting the march/april I could understand they were unsure of when.. but when they send you a pricise date you presume this is definite, so it is very annoying when this is what you get in return . It seems like Smarts customer support is on auto pilot with only one response "we will be in contact with you in the next few days" . Have thier phones been barred from making outgoing calls or what???

Come on Garfield we need some reassurances!!!

end of rant!! (Sorry had to get that out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I don't think Smart can do anything until the court case against Eircom is sorted. But like you I got the old March/April now May. Work wasn't prepared to wait so we cancelled Smart and went over to Eircom wireless bb. 6 months contract with the first two free. It arrived today and we are now up and running. :D

But will still look at Smart in about 5 months though.

But they can still connect you, they have alreay said so in thier e-mail. The eircom case only affects number portability.. i have told them (& Garfield) I couldn't give a toss about changing number & each time I have got the same answer " we are processing your order & someone will contact you in the next few days".. I understand there can be delays Its the not calling when they say they will that frustrates me!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Peteer wrote:
    Live on Summerhill exchange since lunchtime!
    I am in Summerhill area and they never got back to me, though I havn't kept phoning back I guess.
    Do you play games and if so what is the ping like or can you do a test here cos fed up with Eircoms 1716/106 line thats meant to be 2mb/128

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Anarchist wrote:
    cos fed up with Eircoms 1716/106 line thats meant to be 2mb/128

My God, that's shocking! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Anarchist wrote:
    I am in Summerhill area and they never got back to me, though I havn't kept phoning back I guess.
    Do you play games and if so what is the ping like or can you do a test here cos fed up with Eircoms 1716/106 line thats meant to be 2mb/128

Hey ya!

The ping test shows:
    Down actual, 1250 Kbps
    Up actual, 101 Kbps

I dobn' play games on-line so can't comment. I was without DSL for 2 weeks while the change over happened.

Othere than that no issues, the modem/router was simple to set-up. Best of luck with your connection!

Regards,
    Peter

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Anarchist wrote:

Thats a very acceptable upload/download for the product you are paying for!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RJB

Hi Garfield,

What's the story with Belcamp exchange? Keep getting the same line from Smart Telecom Cus Service re delays as rest of guys in this thread and others. Is it a definite then that if you are lucky enuf to get up and running soon you have to lose your phone number.What was result of April Court case??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

RJB wrote:
    What was result of April Court case??? :confused:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :( : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2681616#post2681616

When do the courts restart after the summer?!

Good luck in getting a reply there!!! On the change of number he has posted that is definite... afaik the case with Eircom is still ongoing... regarding info on your exchange join the club!

digitaldr wrote:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :( : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2681616#post2681616

When do the courts restart after the summer?!
    Thats Exactly what eircom wanted!!

Smart just phoned me just to apologise for their delay and told me their 2mb line is faster then Eircoms but I explained it's still only 128 up and she said she was off to a meeting this afternoon and would say that.
    Peeter who is on same exchange as me in Summerhill has Smartcom already and said his d/l speed was 1250, that is far slower then the 1716 I get now but he doesn't play games so I don't know what to do, I believe Smartcom is not RADSL so maybe the slower speed is a better ping?
    I know when I was with Esat BB and had 512/256 I pinged 30 better then when I was with Eircom.
    Somebody help me plz!!
    Explain abit more or if anyone else has Smart what speeds they get or how it is in games.
    Much appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

search around for fastpath or fast path to explain why slower is faster if you are a gamer

Bit more help?
    I know interleaving off improves a conn for gaming etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Smart would probably only get around 1700/100 max in any tests. As per any standard 2meg ADSL package. You aren't taking into account the overheads.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

RJB wrote:
    What's the story with Belcamp exchange? Keep getting the same line from Smart Telecom Cus Service re delays as rest of guys in this thread and others. Is it a definite then that if you are lucky enuf to get up and running soon you have to lose your phone number.What was result of April Court case??? :confused:

Broadband Step 2: Review Line Check Result

Your phone number 1xxxxxxx is in the exchange BELCAMP.
    Congratulations, Broadband is available to you!
    Would you like to avail of this amazing offer?

^^^^^^^^^^^
    It's not available from Belcamp yet? I thought it was (given the above). I hadn't been following the SMART rollout much lately though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I was onto smart yesterday and they said it was available on the belcamp line yuo just have to change your number and its a 12 day wait for it
    Pete

Advertisement