Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live areas from Smart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

peterk19 wrote:
    I was onto smart yesterday and they said it was available on the belcamp line yuo just have to change your number and its a 12 day wait for it
    Pete
    Perter don't bank on it I got the 12 day promise last week , tomorrow is day 7, & so far not as much as a phone call... If this date passes I think Smart should be looking at giving us some sort of compo, say 2 months free.... ( As seen as your at least reading the posts Garfield, why not pay attention)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RJB

digitaldr wrote:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :( : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2681616#post2681616

When do the courts restart after the summer?!

Thanks Digitaldr. Hey guess what? Smart phoned me tonight but was not here and the wife took the call. It was funny the way she described the call it was like I had won the lotto or something. "Congratulations you have qualified for free line rental!" followed swiftly by "we are experiencing a delay in Belcamp exchange though so can we call you at this number so we can keep you posted?" and "Congratulations again" Yippee. Interestingly no mention of 12 days or modems or changing of numbers!

Got a PM from Garfield re Santry delays. No definite date so I guess thats my 12 days gone out the window. Hopefully he will get back to me!

I have to say , sometimes a bit of venting does no harm... Fair play Smart seem to be paying attention got 2 emails from Smart & a PM from Garfield today, Santry hopefully live by the end of the month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

BUt whtf is it like for games and why did a person here only get 1250 d/l speed instead of 1716 u get from Eircom, how the hell can you call 1250, 2mb lol, even allowing for overheads etc

• Advertisement

I think the speed is something they will have to look at on an individual case by case basis... If you are only getting that & garfield gets 6.5 (on a line Eircom failed) they will have to find where the problem lies...

Fair enough, it's just that I need to know all this by next week, the guy who only got 1250 is same exchange as me Summerhill :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

they'd configure every port on a DSLAM to be 2Mb connection. if someone is only getting 1280 its because of the line. happens to me on the very odd occasion. just have to plug out and back in the router and I'm back up to 2048

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Anarchist wrote:
    BUt whtf is it like for games and why did a person here only get 1250 d/l speed instead of 1716 u get from Eircom, how the hell can you call 1250, 2mb lol, even allowing for overheads etc
    Anarchist,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the person you are refering to here wasn't getting 1716 from eircom previously. You should always get a better service from us. Once a router 'trains up' on the network, we can see what the maximum connection is (up and down). More than happy to work to improve customer connections, but there may be line limitations. Speaking of overheads, it's been mentioned to me that ATM/ PPPoE overheads may be affecting some customers. The Networks team have suggested some tests next week. Something along the line of adding 15-20% to the port rates to 'bypass' any overhead issues. We'll see what that does. Saying that, your line is your line, so.....

Garfield

That is me getting 1716 at the mo with Eircom 2mb/128 lol
    Is interleaving off btw?
    On Eircom it's on and Esat Business it's off, for gamers it's better off etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Anarchist,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the person you are refering to here wasn't getting 1716 from eircom previously. You should always get a better service from us.
    Garfield

better service =/ 2mbits eiter

Did the person who got 1250 not ask for fastpath as well coz he was a gamer. ????

Explain the hit for us over normal interleavers off a nominal 2Mbit so we know, you have enough punters in the wild now to know it.

Explain fastpath itself one more time as well, been a while since you stuck to tech :)

He is not a gamer, he is peeter from these boards.
    So when your woman phones me back or the engineer comes out I will ask for interleaving off or fastpath??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

....and you may therefore not have 2Mbits as a consequence and that is not a worse service per se as the pings are faster.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    better service =/ 2mbits eiter
    Did the person who got 1250 not ask for fastpath as well coz he was a gamer. ????
    Sponge Bob,
    At this point in the evening, I couldn' tell.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    Explain the hit for us over normal interleavers off a nominal 2Mbit so we know, you have enough punters in the wild now to know it.
    God Bob, I wish we had enough 'punters' out there that understood interleaving. It remains a 'niche' requirement. I've said before that interleaving is on by default because it serves the majority of users well. I've also said on a per customer basis, I'm happy to look at it. I think Anarchist made a reference to discussing this with Customer Care. Don't. It won't happen. I'll deal with it. We have some very keen gamers within Networks. So we'll sort it from there. Basically, get the connection up and running first and we'll modify it from there.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    Explain fastpath itself one more time as well, been a while since you stuck to tech :)
    Bob,
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/559
    Just so I can't be accused of spinning!

Garfield.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob,

............ I think Anarchist made a reference to discussing this with Customer Care. Don't. It won't happen. I'll deal with it. We have some very keen gamers within Networks. So we'll sort it from there. Basically, get the connection up and running first and we'll modify it from there.

Garfield.

Garfield surely customer care is the appropriate place to discuss any matter pertaining to Smart. By definition that is what they are there for no?

What about people who dont use boards.ie? There are lots out there believe it or not:) How are they supposed to resolve such matters if Customer Care is not the place to do it? Surely Smart dont want to be accused of offering boards users special facilities? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Maybe it's a Boards special? A little payback for all the time we waste here.

I asked this before and I suspect the question will be buried again, but did you Garfield pass Smart's line test? I know you didn't pass Eircom's test, but I'm curious if Smart's test, or threshold rather, will capture all eligble users. Have you failed anybody yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

dub45 wrote:
    Garfield surely customer care is the appropriate place to discuss any matter pertaining to Smart. By definition that is what they are there for no?

Because he has said it's a niche product? Being very niche means that customer care probably won't do it for you. You know like when you ring eircom and ask for a clean line they'll say no, but ask the local engineer and he'll see what he can do. Companies like Smart will make their money from the general punters who want "fast email" and the Ryanair website to load quickly, they don't care about games or ping times. Bless your patience Garfield, I'd have told all the begrudgers to take the current standard vanilla product or kindly fck off.

damien.m wrote:
    Because he has said it's a niche product? Being very niche means that customer care probably won't do it for you. You know like when you ring eircom and ask for a clean line they'll say no, but ask the local engineer and he'll see what he can do. Companies like Smart will make their money from the general punters who want "fast email" and the Ryanair website to load quickly, they don't care about games or ping times. Bless your patience Garfield, I'd have told all the begrudgers to take the current standard vanilla product or kindly fck off.

Why should access to Garfield be necessary for someone to obtain this?

The point I am trying to make is not so much anti smart as that Customer Care should be the place to go irrespective of the Company. It should not be a question of asking either the local engineer or Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

dub45 wrote:
    The point I am trying to make is not so much anti smart as that Customer Care should be the place to go irrespective of the Company.

And Customer Care will tell you that it isn't an option. You won't get it. Thank you, please call again.
    It should not be a question of asking either the local engineer or Garfield.

Maybe it is, if what you want is officially not catered for. However a clearer product spec would help. The way I see it is that the general product they offer will not give you the option to switch off interleaving but Garfield cos gee whiz he's a nice and helpful guy will out of the goodness of his heart help you out.

Now if this isn't the case and part of the official product spec states that they will in fact fiddle with your connection to turn off interleaving then I'd agree that customer care should be your first port of call. Perhaps Garfield can give us insight into this.

Dub~ Garfield is offering to do something for you/us ... When you get an offer like this say thank you & consider it a favour. From what Garfield is saying I don't think it will be a general option..There are lots of things available on boards that you would not get through customer care of various companies

• Advertisement

beller b wrote:
    Dub~ Garfield is offering to do something for you/us ... When you get an offer like this say thank you & consider it a favour. From what Garfield is saying I don't think it will be a general option..There are lots of things available on boards that you would not get through customer care of various companies
    beller b/ Dub45,

To be as blunt as Mayor Blunt from Bluntsville (I'm giddy).... Everytime you contact Customer Care (sore point at present, I admit), it costs us money. Yeah, yeah, you're paying us for service. Accept the point. If 'account customisation' (which is what we are talking about) was available via CS, it would have to be a chargeable service.

If we made it available as a chargeable service, I'd get 'hosed' in this forum for that fact. 'Why should we pay for....................'

Customers that figure out that boards.ie is the way to figure out their:

1. Router security.
    2. Wireless router.
    3. Interleaving.
    4. Etc.

is a good thing.

Garfield.

So I can't have interleaving off???
    :(

Anarchist wrote:
    So I can't have interleaving off???
    :(
    For sure you can. But, as of right now, calling CS won't affect that change. If you're online, we'll do it here. Just to make our position clear..You have to be a customer before we will commit to switcing interleaving off. Committing to that upfront would be foolish, given that we can't see what your line is capable of.

At the same time (avoiding pimping here) there is no reason why you would have a worse DSL experience with us, as apposed to another provider.

Garfield.

beller b wrote:

Beller I am not criticising Garfiled as such - I dont doubt that he is a wonderful chap - what I am raising issue with is a Company (not just Smart) providing something (service product etc) through a very restriced medium like boards. My basic point is that if a company offers something it should be available to all through the 'proper' channels even if a very small minority are likely to want it - there is a difference between a niche product and niche access (i.e. boards) to a product. My point is not meant to be a criticism just something to ponder.

beller b/ Dub45,

Customers that figure out that boards.ie is the way to figure out their:

1. Router security.
    2. Wireless router.
    3. Interleaving.
    4. Etc.

is a good thing.

Garfield.

Garfield issues 1, 2, and the all embracing 4 are dealt through the help of other boards members not Company representatives. Cant remember the last time anyone from Linksys or Netgear dropped in:)

dub45 wrote:
    Garfield issues 1, 2, and the all embracing 4 are dealt through the help of other boards members not Company representatives. Cant remember the last time anyone from Linksys or Netgear dropped in:)

I was referring to specific Smart Broadband issues regarding 1-4. More's the pity regarding Linksys and Netgear :)

Garfield.

I was referring to specific Smart Broadband issues regarding 1-4. More's the pity regarding Linksys and Netgear :)

Garfield.

Dont recall you answering too many Smart related questions re router security or wirelss issues?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Macho

It's a hell of a bother and could be expensive if you were to receive international calls. Better to wait til the autumn I think. Sure we won't feel it....

Peeter from Summerhill did another 2 line tests and they were even worse then the 1250 one :( , it's barely over 1mb tbh

I am so pissed at this stage :(

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Dont recall you answering too many Smart related questions re router security or wirelss issues?
    :)
    Must be no problems. Damn fine routers we're selling :)

Advertisement