Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live areas from Smart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Anarchist wrote:
    Peeter from Summerhill did another 2 line tests and they were even worse then the 1250 one :( , it's barely over 1mb tbh

I am so pissed at this stage :(
    Anarchist,

On the DSLAM in the exchange, Peeter has a 2Mb connection available. If he's not getting that, then............

1. It's the quality of the copper.
    2. It's the distance from the exchange.
    3. It's the test site he's connecting to.
    4. It's congestion.

What sort of ping times are being achieved?

Garfield.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Must be no problems. Damn fine routers we're selling :)

Very few of them out there so far though:)

Anarchist,

On the DSLAM in the exchange, Peeter has a 2Mb connection available. If he's not getting that, then............

1. It's the quality of the copper.
    2. It's the distance from the exchange.
    3. It's the test site he's connecting to.
    4. It's congestion.

What sort of ping times are being achieved?

Garfield.

4. Congestion? As far as Smart are concerned is that not something confined to motor cars? Very early in the day to start mentioning congestion G! Didnt Smart say there would be none of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

hey Garfield, I was wondering when are you guys going to be available at NEWLANDS CROSS exchange, now the page doesn't even give a date :( I was wondering if there are any works going on to enable exchange? or is it even out of plans for now?

CyberGhost wrote:
    hey Garfield, I was wondering when are you guys going to be available at NEWLANDS CROSS exchange, now the page doesn't even give a date :( I was wondering if there are any works going on to enable exchange? or is it even out of plans for now?
    Not on plans at present. From memory, when we looked at it, it was on the 'wrong' side of the road in relation to the fibre network. That's just from memory. I can check it out.

Garfield.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    4. Congestion? As far as Smart are concerned is that not something confined to motor cars? Very early in the day to start mentioning congestion G! Didnt Smart say there would be none of that?
    Absolutely right. Was just including it for completeness. Could of course refer to congestion on the other side, but no need for pedantry here :)

Absolutely right. Was just including it for completeness. Could of course refer to congestion on the other side, but no need for pedantry here :)

Interesting to see how quickly it appeared in a Smart response though - but nice to know that we look forward to equally 'complete' replies in the future:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Can the mystical Peeter give us the speed that the router connects with and the SNR and attenuation stats, please? So we can look at some data instead of speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭donalin

hey garfield.
    Do you know when smart will be going live in cork city? Ive been checking my number alot recenty and its said the same every time may/june*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Not on plans at present. From memory, when we looked at it, it was on the 'wrong' side of the road in relation to the fibre network. That's just from memory. I can check it out.

Garfield.

Ouch!

nah no need to check it out.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

donalin wrote:
    hey garfield.
    Do you know when smart will be going live in cork city? Ive been checking my number alot recenty and its said the same every time may/june*.
    What exchange?

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭donalin

Wellington Road

donalin wrote:
    Wellington Road
    As of right now.........sometime in June. I asked because Quaker and Churchfield should come up first!

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hi Garfield, I sent in my order a few months ago, though I know Smart won't be in my exchange for a while yet.
    So, at the moment Kilkenny exchange is down for "july/august". Is this still on track? Also, with regard to the number changing thing, any idea when that should cease to be a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 gireland

Garfield,

I see that you live on the S.C.R and i was wondering if SMART is live there at the moment??
    I live the top end (harrington street) end and would be very grateful if you could let me know.

If you could PM me with you answer that would be great.

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

gireland wrote:
    Garfield,
    I see that you live on the S.C.R and i was wondering if SMART is live there at the moment??
    I live the top end (harrington street) end and would be very grateful if you could let me know.
    I beleive that they are live in both Dolphins Barn and Ship St. As near by streets are enabled (Heytesbury St uses the Barn and Pleasant St is on Ship St exchange). So you should be covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Im on Dennehys Cross Exchange in Cork, which i assume is still on target perhaps for a June date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jimk110

Hello Garfield,
    any word on when the Coolock Exchange will go live?
    Thanks,
    jimk110

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RJB

Still waiting on Belcamp--What's the story Garfield??

Had an interesting conversation with an NTL Sales person on my doorstep at the weekend. He says Smart are using "our equipment".When I asked him to be more specific he stated that Smart used their Junctions and it was a mystery to all the NTL engineers how Smart could offer zero contention.Maybe I should have directed him to Garfields early posting on that one!

According to him also he said it has not been rolled out to anyone yet! I mentioned that this contradicted what I have read on boards and he suggested "Well you don't know who is posting those comments...." I took this all with a large dose of salt as you know what these sales guys are like but would like to know Garfields thoughts on this.

I'm no big gamer or anything (wish I had the time) but I just want simple BB for a good price and something that is reliable.Is that too much to ask???

jimk110 wrote:
    Hello Garfield,
    any word on when the Coolock Exchange will go live?
    Thanks,
    jimk110
    Orders being processed from Wednesday.

• Advertisement

RJB wrote:
    Still waiting on Belcamp--What's the story Garfield??

Had an interesting conversation with an NTL Sales person on my doorstep at the weekend. He says Smart are using "our equipment".When I asked him to be more specific he stated that Smart used their Junctions and it was a mystery to all the NTL engineers how Smart could offer zero contention.Maybe I should have directed him to Garfields early posting on that one!

According to him also he said it has not been rolled out to anyone yet! I mentioned that this contradicted what I have read on boards and he suggested "Well you don't know who is posting those comments...." I took this all with a large dose of salt as you know what these sales guys are like but would like to know Garfields thoughts on this.

I'm no big gamer or anything (wish I had the time) but I just want simple BB for a good price and something that is reliable.Is that too much to ask???

I'll check on Belcamp and post tomorrow.

Just to clarify, we don't use NTL's equipment. We don't use their network elements either. Just Sales spiel.

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Any news on Santry exchange ??

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Garfield: boy-o-boy do you have your work cut out for you in here :p roffles

just like everyone else in here eagerly awaiting the arrival of smart to their exchange, could you check when the DOUGLAS exchange in cork should come online?

thanx :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

And the Rathedmond exchange in Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Hey Garfield,

any chance of a general update on progress? I'm on the Whitehall exchange, but rather than giving individual answers, how about giving us a list of exchanges, in order of how soon they go live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

I'd also like to know the status of the Whitehall excahnge.

i got an email on the 5th May saying it should be ready in the next couple of weeks. Any update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Orders being processed from Wednesday.

Why do I have to go searching for an answer about this instead of being contacted? This is not a good sign for your customer service. If we are going to be late we tell the customer not ignore their e-mails. Not impressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Santry Coolock & Santry all waiting.......The northsiders are ganging up on you Garfield !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭billius

All of these delays aren't Smart's fault...they are coming from Eircom challenging ComReg's decision that requires Eircom to develop improved LLU processes to facilitate broadband and the matter is currently in the High Court.
    You could say that Eircom are trying their hardest to upset potential Smart customers! And it seems to be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

billius wrote:
    All of these delays aren't Smart's fault...they are coming from Eircom challenging ComReg's decision that requires Eircom to develop improved LLU processes to facilitate broadband and the matter is currently in the High Court.
    You could say that Eircom are trying their hardest to upset potential Smart customers! And it seems to be working.
    You don't happen to work for Smart or anything do you?!! You're right to an extent. That extent is that Smart knew eircom were going to court over this. They knew there was no agreed improved LLU process with ComReg/eircom, and they still went to press promising the impossible. They played the "poor me" card. I welcome Smart's innovation and hope they do succeed so that we might actually get some competition in the DSL market. However, when all's said and done, they're employing eircom marketing tactics, and that is worrying.

.cg

Advertisement