Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live areas from Smart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Gar...

any word on when the GALWAY exchange is going live...
    am back on dial up for the moment dying a slowful death..please fix it for me to have broadband once again .. :)

Arrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Gar...

any word on when the GALWAY exchange is going live...
    am back on dial up for the moment dying a slowful death..please fix it for me to have broadband once again .. :)

Arrian
    Arrian,

Which Galway exchange?

Other exchanges enquired about:

Coolock is live, signed off by both parties (Smart/ eircom) tomorrow morning. Emails have not gone out to customers on this exchange in advance of signoff, in case there are last minute delays. As of 1 hour ago, no last minute delays.

Santry, equipment in place, chamber drop and fibre pull on schedule for month end.

Garfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

gar..
    i put in my number and all it said was the Galway exchange.. probably im on the mervue exchange?
    if i mail you my phone number would that be of any benefit?

arrian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Any news on the Whitehall exchange Garfield? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Oh, and in case you skipped it, how about Dennehys Cross in Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Well said cgarvey. The best bet for a small company trying to compete with a virtual monopoly is just to shut up and keep quiet until the big boys decide they can join the game. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they should just sit there quietly until eircom send them a written invitation to each exchange before they announce anything. This way no one would ever know about the potential services they were intending to offer and wouldn't bat an eyelid when eircoms legal team wrangles a 3 year delay on implementing changes.

Alternatively they could announce the services they should legitimately be able to supply and then raise hell when eircom prevent them from supplying them.

There's a big difference between a company thats not able to deliver and a company thats being prevented from delivering.

However frustrated you or I become at the lack of progress with smart telecom, I can only imagine the frustration the smart telecom employees must be feeling.

Imagine you own Smart Telecom for a few minutes, you have a better product for less money, you know it's destined for big things. Yet you're still locked out of the exchanges and every move you try and make to deliver your product is delayed and blocked by this monolith we know as eircom.

And no, I don't work for smart and have no business/personal interest in them other than the wish to see decent competition injected into a market that desperately needs it. Even if they have no plans to upgrade my local exchange, I'm already seeing the benefits of companies like smart in the form of doubled bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

JNive wrote:
    Oh, and in case you skipped it, how about Dennehys Cross in Cork City
    and douglas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

billius wrote:
    All of these delays aren't Smart's fault...they are coming from Eircom challenging ComReg's decision that requires Eircom to develop improved LLU processes to facilitate broadband and the matter is currently in the High Court.
    You could say that Eircom are trying their hardest to upset potential Smart customers! And it seems to be working.

I agree and disagree with you - if Smart thought for one minute that eircom would take it lying down then they were very much mistaken, if you annoy the big kids in the playground they will turn on you with their mates...it's just business - eircom will fight to protect their share holders interest.

Smart also advertised a service that was at the time non existant - if you play that game I am afraid you have to roll with the punches.

Dont get me wrong, I think it's important Smart succeed, but there are obvious realities....they were either badly informed or took the chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Any definate date for Lucan Ballydowd ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Graham wrote:
    Well said cgarvey.

Graham, read my post before mouthing off. If you still can't be arsed here are the 2 main points in my earlier post.

1. I welcome Smart to the market
    2. Smart are using eircom's "poor-me" style media manipulation, which I don't welcome.

No I don't think they should "sit there quietly", but I do think they've got a lot of bad press now, which can only damage their image, and all because they promised the moon and the stars when THEY KNEW they couldn't deliver it. We all know why they couldn't deliver it and why it is wrong, but that's not the point I'm making.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What bad press and what inability to deliver are you referring to? They're about a month late on some exchanges but they're delivering. This is just blip in the greater scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ringo6

Hi Garfield,

Any word on Phibsboro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

billius wrote:
    All of these delays aren't Smart's fault...they are coming from Eircom challenging ComReg's decision that requires Eircom to develop improved LLU processes to facilitate broadband and the matter is currently in the High Court.
    You could say that Eircom are trying their hardest to upset potential Smart customers! And it seems to be working.

What Smart are in complete control over is how they treat their customers. If they decide to ignore their promises and e-mails I hold them responsible that. The delay doesn't bother me too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Blaster99 wrote:
    What bad press and what inability to deliver are you referring to? They're about a month late on some exchanges but they're delivering. This is just blip in the greater scheme of things.
    Bad press in the general sense, I didn't mean to imply there were a finite number of articles in newspapers, etc. I've heard a snip on Kibird on Newstalk 106 about BB, and a number of the comments were about Smart customers not being able to get BB yet. There's also the general tone of all of the Smart threads here.

By inability to deliver, I meant at the rate they wanted to. I'm sure Smart had intended on having more than a few hundred customers connected by now. You're right though it is just a glitch, and hopefully (for the greater good) it will get sorted soon.

Back to my point, though, Smart embarked on a huge media campaign centered around a LLU process that hadn't been agreed just yet. Everyone knows that LLU needs to be more efficient, and cheaper (including ComReg), and most people in the industry were betting that eircom were going to be going to the High Court over the last LLU directives from Comreg. So now when it doesn't work out as they had hoped (but must have known), they play the "poor me" card.. it's that I don't like because that's playing the media.. just like eircom would/do.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

And get this.

I ring SBB in regards to the broadband i signed up for months ago. I did this about 3 weeks ago. They lost my first DD form, werent sure if the second had arrived (3 weeks after sending it).

Understanding the ineptness of the staff, i skip past it. I ask if changing my landline over to Smart will decrease the downtime suffered when BB is finally available to my flat (Crown Alley Exchange - bout 100m). answer is a definate yes, followed by an extremely quick call in which the line is swapped completely over the phone. Im told ill get documentation about this in a few days. Arrived on mon.

And now ive been informed that because i have a Smart landline i cant get their broadband services!!!!!!

So i was lied to, after all their obfuscating the dates of rollout, they then lied and told me it will minimise downtime! And apparently they KNEW this before i moved over.

Sorry if this is a bit much, but at this stage im begining to think that this is some kind of joke...... At least eircon can actually provide a service, instead of promising and giving times and then saying ops -no, and moving the goalposts repeatedly.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Shougeki - I feel your pain!
    I'm in exactly the same situation, but its not really smarts fault - its eircom acting like d******ds about the whole thing and refusing to recognise non-eircom account numbers. I've just cancelled my smart, to move back to eircom to get an eircom account no, to move back to smart again to get bb.

Ridiculous but true - it will be worth it in the end though (I sincerely hope so anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Lets have a P**s off Eircom day where we all ring them non stop & complain about the crap they are up to!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Shougeki - I feel your pain!
    I'm in exactly the same situation, but its not really smarts fault - its eircom acting like d******ds about the whole thing and refusing to recognise non-eircom account numbers. I've just cancelled my smart, to move back to eircom to get an eircom account no, to move back to smart again to get bb.

Ridiculous but true - it will be worth it in the end though (I sincerely hope so anyway!)

Well firstly Smart are completely responsible for what they tell a customer there can be no qualification on that.

Secondly why do you need an Eircom account number to get bb from Smart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

dub45 wrote:

Secondly why do you need an Eircom account number to get bb from Smart?

because you cant get your line unbundled if you have WLR from any other carrier.

or if you have dsl on the line already

or if your name begins with k

or if you were born on a tuesday

eircom is blocking whereever possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

we shouldn't be angry with smart or eircom

Smart is competition, and eircom are doing everything they can to stop them, it's clever business, you don't like it? so what? where will you go? everything is eircom's, don't like? don't take it, but you won't be able to get anything else.

if you were eircom, seriously, would you allow anyone to pass you? you would do the same thing eircom does.

it's the government that are to blame for what is going on in the country today, it's those bastards, that allowed eircom to privatize LLU, and all the lines in the country. the lines should have been government's, like it is supposed to, not private person's or companies, if it was like that, today we wouldn't be in the "Z list" of broadband services in EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Yes I agree that the exchanges should be public property - after all, the taxpayer funded Telecom Eireann for all those years. But eircom are just making it as difficult as possible for any competition, whilst ripping people off left, right and centre. Ultimately, it will lead to customers getting fed up with the whole company and switching away completely...

Yes I agree that the exchanges should be public property - after all, the taxpayer funded Telecom Eireann for all those years. But eircom are just making it as difficult as possible for any competition, whilst ripping people off left, right and centre. Ultimately, it will lead to customers getting fed up with the whole company and switching away completely...

I dream of that day!

but it is not going to happen any time soon, while people on boards are aware of what eircom does, and what's it like in the other countries, the rest of the population are lambs.

and eircom does as little as possible to educate people,

they say: our broadband = best = buy it, don't ask questions.

I agree, in the long run this is not good for business for telecom... If they were thinking long term they would be seen to be assisting people who wish to change while at the same time urging them to stay by competing seriousally... Lets face it they are in a possition to wipe the floor with smart if they wern't so hungry..With the customer base telecom have behind them they should not only match Smart on Speed & price they should be cheeper & better. But they have been spoilt by monopoly .. Does anyone remember when they got away with charging you extra line rental for the 10 m of cable running to your extension in the bedroom? & when you were breaking the law if you used a phone that wasn't theirs? As the saying goes if you can't stand the heat............

beller b wrote:
    As the saying goes if you can't stand the heat............

.......move to Sweden!

Do you think we could get the whole of Eircom to go?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

to get unbundled, your line needs to be on an eircom account with no other service whatsoever aprt from plain voice ( via eircom lol ).
    Anything else needs to be cancelled before smart can put through the unbundling order.
    twisted but its the way it is aparently

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

JNive wrote:
    to get unbundled, your line needs to be on an eircom account with no other service whatsoever aprt from plain voice ( via eircom lol ).
    Anything else needs to be cancelled before smart can put through the unbundling order.
    twisted but its the way it is aparently

Is this definitely the case?
    I'm signed up with Smart for broadband but am currently using UTV Talk for calls.

I've e-mailed Smart asking if I need to cancel UTV before going live with them and they told me they will cancel it when my line goes live.

This would suit me fine because I'll have to buy myself out of the UTV contract and I don't want to do that until I know my line is capable of carrying broadband.

I wonder could Garfield clear this up for me?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Paul007 wrote:
    Is this definitely the case?
    I'm signed up with Smart for broadband but am currently using UTV Talk for calls.

I've e-mailed Smart asking if I need to cancel UTV before going live with them and they told me they will cancel it when my line goes live.

This would suit me fine because I'll have to buy myself out of the UTV contract and I don't want to do that until I know my line is capable of carrying broadband.

I wonder could Garfield clear this up for me?

I suggest you discuss this with UTV as well. I dont imagine UTV will allow another company to cancel 'your' contract with them - I may be wrong but if I was you I would definitely try to clarify things with Utv directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Yeah, I think you're right Dub, I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow.

Best to be on the safe side I suppose or this could drag on for a while.

Advertisement