Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Netgear DG834G and IOLBB

• 25-03-2005 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, I just got a nice new Netgear DG834G which I'd like to use to set up a wireless network replacing the Zyxel that came with IOLBB.

I'm having problems with the set up with the nice folks at EsatBT say "sorry, we don't support". I'm using XP SP2.

I can see that a good ADSL connection is established to IOLBB but the router is not picking up an assigned IP address from IOLBB.

I've confirmed that I'm using the right username and password, and that the other seetings are PPPoE, LLC, vpi/vci 8/35, IP address assigned automatically.

IOLBB give their primary DNS as 194.125.2.240 on their help pages but the phone support said to use 192.111.39.1?! Neither are working.

The only obvious thing I can see is that the Zyxel supplied by IOLBB came with NAT as SUA only whereas the Netgear only offers Enabled or Disabled. I've tried both without any progress.

Has anyone please got any hints or suggestions on how to get the Netgear properly connected?

thanks

Dermot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Does this router not have any diagnostic tools built in?
    The Zyxel at least has 4 tests at the end to indicate the problem.

Try running some tests to isolate the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

I indeed had the same grief....

Never spent much time ttrying to fix it tho - and the netgear is still sitting gathering dust in the hall under the zyxel,.

Anyone else have success??

I have another Netgear router, no wireless, ill try it and c does it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

change the MTU to 1492 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sillild

dermiestv wrote:
    Hi, I just got a nice new Netgear DG834G which I'd like to use to set up a wireless network replacing the Zyxel that came with IOLBB.

I'm having problems with the set up with the nice folks at EsatBT say "sorry, we don't support". I'm using XP SP2.

I can see that a good ADSL connection is established to IOLBB but the router is not picking up an assigned IP address from IOLBB.

I've confirmed that I'm using the right username and password, and that the other seetings are PPPoE, LLC, vpi/vci 8/35, IP address assigned automatically.

IOLBB give their primary DNS as 194.125.2.240 on their help pages but the phone support said to use 192.111.39.1?! Neither are working.

The only obvious thing I can see is that the Zyxel supplied by IOLBB came with NAT as SUA only whereas the Netgear only offers Enabled or Disabled. I've tried both without any progress.

Has anyone please got any hints or suggestions on how to get the Netgear properly connected?

thanks

Dermot

I have the same router and it automatically configured, All I did was put in my username and password.

Anyway these are my settings

Basic settings
    Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login: YES
    Encapsulation POPPA(PPM over ATM)
    Internet Ip Address: Get Dynamically From ISP
    Domain Name Server (DNS) Address:Get Automatically From ISP
    NAT: Enable

ADSL Settings
    Multiplexing Method: LLC-BASED
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Same router, settings similar to sillild (can't check, not at home now). It should auto-configure. Are you using the latest non-beta firmware?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

zod wrote:
    change the MTU to 1492 ;)

The MTU won't affect the connection, not on the netgears default setting. And it's 1456 by default on the netgear dg834g if my memory serves me correct.

Go to the netgear config page, go to basic settings and hit test. Tell me the error message you get, if you get authentication failed - get your username and password confirmed. If it's anything else, give me the specifics.

I'm not sure what encapsulation IOL are using, but if the above post is correct and functioning using PPPoA, then try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

dlofnep wrote:
    The MTU won't affect the connection, not on the netgears default setting.

Looking at the settings on a working one right now - and the MTU setting is set to 1492 - but this is for PPPoE.

I think that if the MTU size is set set to high for PPPoE >1492 then connectivity is affected. - the help on the netgear router for the MTU setting says this :

"MTU Size - The normal MTU (Maximum Transmit Unit) value for most Ethernet networks is 1500 Bytes, or 1492 Bytes for PPPoE connections. For some ISPs you may need to reduce the MTU. But this is rarely required, and should not be done unless you are sure it is necessary for your ISP connection."

So I'm thinking maybe it's not using PPPoE encapsulation !? so I go to the IOLBB support webpage and quote :

Enter the following settings and then click next :

Set Mode to 'Routed'
    Set Encapsulation to 'PPPoE'
    Set Multiplex to 'LLC'
    Set VPI to '8' and VCI to '35'

Taken from : http://bt-esat.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt_esat.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=JCU3njBh&p_lva=&p_faqid=446&p_created=1097066866&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9ODMmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT03JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

You can try upgrading your firmware but in fairness it should work out of the box with just entering your username and password. That is all I did 6 months ago and never went near the router since. As suggested, check the logs for errors, you can save your configuration and check it with notepad to see your settings as well as username and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Thanks very much to everyone, I'm now successfully using the Netgear DG834G to send this.

I took the advice of just trying the Setup Wizard and entering name and password. Connected first time.

I'd aborted this previously as it had defaulted to PPPoA and I thought we in Ireland had to use PPPoE. Something IOL also quotes in their setup notes.

Strange thing is the working settings detected by the Setup Wizard are different from everyone else. I've got
    PPPoA
    DNS Automatically from ISP
    VC-based Multiplexing
    vpi/vci 8/35
    NAT enabled
    MTU is now 1500
    Connection speed 512kbps downstream, 128 upstream

Oh firmware version is v1.05.00 and in more detail ADSL firmware version is 1.00.09.00.

Should I try to change to LLC multiplexing and the 1492 MTU or just leave well enough alone?

But as I happily said, its working. Now I just have to set up the wireless bit.

thanks again to everyone.

Dermot

zod wrote:
    Looking at the settings on a working one right now - and the MTU setting is set to 1492 - but this is for PPPoE.

I think that if the MTU size is set set to high for PPPoE >1492 then connectivity is affected. - the help on the netgear router for the MTU setting says this :

A small change in the MTU of that small of a magnitude won't. The most it will do is stop the ability to view secure websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Yeah, In Ireland we do use PPPoE. How that works is beyond me. :confused:

TimTim wrote:
    Yeah, In Ireland we do use PPPoE. How that works is beyond me. :confused:

If you really care: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2516.html

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Folks

Got this router for a wireless home LAN and tried installing today. Am on IOLBB Plus. Came with v.1.05 firmware. Nothing but problems.

- Did a manual install following IOL recommendation on PPPoE
    - Then after reading this thread, did a Install Wizard with PPPoA
    - Tried 1492 for MTU after default of 1458.
    - Then went to Netgear website and downloaded the latest 2.10.17 beta version as a last hope but still same issue.

- The error message all day is:

Sun, 2002-09-08 12:03:55 - Initialize LCP.
    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:03:55 - LCP is allowed to come up.
    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:03:58 - CHAP authentication failed
    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:03:58 - LCP down.
    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:04:28 - Initialize LCP.
    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:04:29 - LCP is allowed to come up.
    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:04:32 - CHAP authentication failed
    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:04:32 - LCP down.

Help badly needed, thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

jolly wrote:
    Sun, 2002-09-08 12:03:58 - CHAP authentication failed
    This suggests you're using the wrong username or password. Did you tack @iolbb onto the end of the username? Are you sure you're using the right password?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I have the same modem router and this happens from time to time. My pass/user is correct because this happens out of the blue. My theory is that eircom or digiweb (my isp) are rejigging the lines/server etc. Usually comes back after a while, though it ranges from minutes to hours.

Usually comes back after a while, though it ranges from minutes to hours.

Thanks for the response. Am pretty sure of user/pass. What's the longest you've had to endure for it to come back? Did you have this problem when you first installed?

TIA
    Jolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Jolly, I have the same Netgear router. I had a similar problem once where I recieved the "CHAP authentication failed" message. It lasted about a day but everything has been okay since.

All I can suggest is that you try the original modem that IOL supplied. Although, if you're having the same problem I did, it won't work either. Next you could try checking your IOL BB usage at...

http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl

If the username and password doesn't work there, call IOL. Just don't bother mentioning the Netgear router as they don't support it (plus I'm guessing it's not the problem anyway).

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Hi, well since first posting the question and foolishly trying the manual IOL instructions rather than the automatic setup, I've had no further problems with the Netgear.

Looking at the logs, I sometimes see that the LCP down message, followed by Initialise LCP, LCP is allowed to come up and CHAP authentication success.

Settings I'm using are those detected automatically for PPPoA. CHAP failure might be password so I'd suggest trying that again.

The Netgear has worked perfectly since the original bout of postings.

Dermot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

IOL renew the IP address every 24 hours which causes the constant "LCP Down" messages in your logs, but it is normal.

In reality it means a disconnection of about 1 second.

I do have a question, though. When did IOL start supporting PPoA?

- Neil

dermiestv wrote:
    Settings I'm using are those detected automatically for PPPoA. CHAP failure might be password so I'd suggest trying that again.

The Netgear has worked perfectly since the original bout of postings.

Dermot

Well done Dermot but my head is wrecked at this stage. Have tried all manner of combinations of settings, setup wizard. Have checked the password against the DSL usage counter on the Zyxel and it is the same. Am using my username@IOLBB as the user name.

When I checked settings with an "ipconfig /all", I see Node Type as "unknown" with the Netgear and "hybrid" with the Zyxel.

DNS servers were 192.125.2.240/241 on the Netgear and 192.168.1.1 with the Zyxel.

Only the Zyxel listed the WINS servers, presumably as the Netgear had lost it's connection to them. Do you have these set to "dynamic assign" or hardcoded ?

I see the WINS servers listed for the first few seconds of a connection and then they are lost, in keeping with the overall problem.

Does any of this mean anything to someone out there?
    Thanks in advance
    Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭bjroche

Hi,

I have just bought a Dg834GT and am trying to get it connected to IOLBB. I am having no joy at all. I have searched through all the groups and cannot see what I am doing wrong.

For user name I have tried xxxx and xxxx@iolbb. The password works when I visit the BB usage counter. I have tried PPPoE and PPPoA, with vpi/vci 8/35. I have tried all permutations.

I upgraded the firmware to V1.01.28.

If somebody has a working DG834GT would they send me their config file? Obviously taking out any password user details first?

The last thing I can think of is to try and setup the device directly connected to the phone connection. I mean disconnect everything else and just connect the DG834GT.

Btw, the standard Zyxel works fine!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Connect it to the phone scoket and disconnect everything else. Restart it via the web interface.

It may take a while but the DSL sync light should come on. Then input your username and password and it should work. I'm using PPoA with IOLBB with my DG834GT.

The auto-setup wizard should work though once the DSL sync light comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

my advice would be to reset it to factory defaults (pinhole reset button on the back), and then do the auto-connect wizard. All you should have to do then is enter your username/password and you should be go.

bjroche wrote:
    I upgraded the firmware to V1.01.28.
    The latest firmware is V2.10.22.
    WizZard wrote:
    I'm using PPoA
    Eh?

The latest firmware is V2.10.22.

I am looking here......

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834GT.asp

Where do you see a newer firmware?

Sorry, I thought we were still talking about the DG834G.

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    Eh?

I find PPoA more stable with my DG834GT than PPoE. I have a friend who has a DG834G and who is with LEAP and he finds PPoA more stable too.

Strange...

By stable I mean I no longer get the many connetion drops that I used to whilst using PPoE.

I didn't think we had a choice tbh. I thought they were completely different technologies (PPP over Ethernet v PPP over ATM), and not interchangeable. Curious. Can any DSL nerds out there address this?

adam

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and advice. I am up and running.

The solution was to direct connect the device to the phone line with no other device. It picked up within 2 minutes and I just had to enter my user name and password to get it to work (as in go fetch Internet stuff).

I think the filter that came with the DG834GT doesn't work. I used the one that came with the Zyxel and all was okay.

Btw, it seems to like PPPoA which I don't understand as I thought all of Ireland was PPPoE.

B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement