Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi MeshHopper Network in Cork

• 25-03-2005 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Anyone know what kit they are using to provide the network????

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

www.meshhopper.com could be a useful starting point before Moriarty sees this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

It mightn't be the best idea starting a network like this in Cork. With the proliferation of WiFi networks in homes and businesses, I'm sure there'll be a lot of interference in the city centre. If you want Internet distribution over wireless, you'll have to turn to WiMax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

technically its quite impressive 1.5km radius, first of its kind really in europe

i know amsterdam has some big plans for wide area access

I'm sorry but 6 euro an hour is just not going to cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Is this started? from what area does it cover from ie where is the access point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

well i`m up near shandon and it does`nt show up on my wireless network. afaik it`s coming from union quay or thereabouts.

• Advertisement

might have a drive into town later and see. its free for the time being isent it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

afaik it`s still free. dont know when they start charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Does anyone have a link to a website for the Cork network itself? First I've heard of it.

Went around town and couldnt find a really good signal, the best we got was by the clarion hotel, there is two access points, dont think its by union quay?Maybe its city hall, as they are linked to it

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭zorch

deepspeed wrote:
    Anyone know what kit they are using to provide the network????

AFAIK the are using the Meshhopper.com stuff. Coverage is reasonable for Patrick St. Grand Parade, South Mall - City Hall, Penrose, Mc Curtain St etc.....

You will get 24hrs free to bash the living S*it out of it anyway before they start charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 lorcanb

tck wrote:
    technically its quite impressive 1.5km radius, first of its kind really in europe

i know amsterdam has some big plans for wide area access

I'm sorry but 6 euro an hour is just not going to cut it.

Hi,
    My name is Lorcan Brophy and I am responsible for the Meshhopper service with Smart Telecom, I'm not sure where the 6 euro an hour came from, but just to clarify, pricing hasn't been fully decided yet, but normal hotspots, from what I can see charge approx. 10 Euro per half day and 20 euro for a full days access, the charge for Meshhopper will be between 40% and 50% cheaper than this. Also it is envisaged to have a monthly subscribtion based service available for €35 euro per month. At the moment its free, and I will keep it that way for at least another week, I'm grateful for any feedback and I hope your enjoying the network so far...

Thanks

Lorcan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

A couple of questions Lorcan if you don't mind...
    Do you guys have a website for more details? Where are the hotspot(s) located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

tck wrote:

Except that in the Knockmore area near Ballina Co Mayo there is a community owned mesh network covering 27 sq Km. It's been up and running for about a year now.

Mesh networks definitely work but there are issues that come into play once a network gets heavily loaded.

.Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lorcanb

daveyjoe wrote:
    A couple of questions Lorcan if you don't mind...
    Do you guys have a website for more details? Where are the hotspot(s) located?

Davey, Web site in developement, putting the info site live should coincide with the official release of pricing, about 2 weeks away...The network is a meshed network, and in simple terms is designed to be one large Hot spot. We have coverage From the port up to North Main, basically everywhere from where the river splits in two, to where it joins together again...

Brendan,
    Our Meshed Network touches down on the Cork Man in 9 seperate places where its connects into our national 2.5gb backbone, if we experience any cogestion on the network we increase bandwith to the network immediately.

Thanks

Lorcan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

lorcanb wrote:

Brendan,
    Our Meshed Network touches down on the Cork Man in 9 seperate places where its connects into our national 2.5gb backbone, if we experience any cogestion on the network we increase bandwith to the network immediately.
    Lorcan

It's not really a backbone connectivity issue. The problems arise once you go more than 1 or 2 hops in from a gateway. On Lightly loaded mesh networks there is no problem, on more heavily loaded networks there is a shortage of 'airtime' for data to make it's way down into the mesh from the gateway nodes this is then compounded by the extreme hidden node issues that mesh networking tends to create

Yes, mesh can work but due to the fundamental network topology will not handle heavy traffic loads very well, especially non-bursty traffic like multiple bittorrent users.

.Brendan

Advertisement