Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying car cd player from USA

Options
  • 25-03-2005 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Ok Im contemplating buying a new CD player from the US. Just one question: Would the fittings and power/voltage etc be the same? Im presuming they will but its always good to be safe...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

I think there can be issues tuning in some FM stations. Better off getting a UK one off ebay or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

I think there can be issues tuning in some FM stations. Better off getting a UK one off ebay or something.
    Well im not totally bothered with the radio..cd/mp3 player functionality is all I want really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

your as well buy one off the net in the UK or similar. Friend of mine brought one home from the states and the radio stations are all the odd numbers over there, causes nothing but hassle. Do a search on here theres a few threads on it.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bunker

dawballz wrote:
    Well im not totally bothered with the radio..cd/mp3 player functionality is all I want really

it mightnt play some european cds either because of it maybe being locked to a certain region

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

since when are cd's regioned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 bunker

since when are cd's regioned?

sorry falling asleep thinking about dvds sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

It will be fine regards voltage etc. If you wanna know if the model is compatible with european style FM frequencies go to www.crutchfield.com and find the model you want. The extended info will tell you if it is european compatible for the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

It will be fine regards voltage etc. If you wanna know if the model is compatible with european style FM frequencies go to www.crutchfield.com and find the model you want. The extended info will tell you if it is european compatible for the radio.

Thanks, had a look there and it says that the radio receives from 87.5MHz - 107MHz so I presume thats ok then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Overall there should be no problem with voltages, etc.
    However there is one small detail about the radios you need to be aware of. The stations here are seperated by 0.2Mhz and set to odd numbers, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7, etc.
    In EU that are spaced every 0.1, ie 88.3, 88.4, 88.5, etc.
    so most radios will only lock to the odd numbers, which is not much use if your local stations are on the even numbers.
    However, the more expensive radios will lock to 0.1, even though it is not necessary.

Otherwise they use DIN size fittings etc. so shoudl not be a problem installing them.

Advertisement