Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop ST

Options
  • 25-03-2005 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

was just wonderin did any1 notice the great job thats been carried out on the building on shop st trading as zerep.. I only wish they could do that to the rest of the street like patrick streets refurbishment in cork. taaffe's (i think thats how its spelt) looks s**t and really makes the street look rundown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

seeming so no 1 else wants to reply i just thought id say hello to myself.. hi

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

i agree :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Needs more gentrification and mobile phone shops.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

I for one agree-theres plenty of beautiful stonework all along shop st-tear down the plaster and let us see it! Galway is a medieval town-it should try to show that off-just like kilkenny does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Robbo wrote:

What, as opposed to our traditional shops like McCambridge's and Powell's (OK, so I know it's William Street)? We've already lost Tyler's (one of the oldest shops in Galway) to O2 (not to mention Moon's up the road and its eponymous Corner). The last thing we need is a Galwegian Grafton Street. <Shudder>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

Robbo wrote:

there's 3 within a 20metres of eachother!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, I hate mobile shops! It's not like you'd be buying one very often anyway so I don't know why they have to be in the busy streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Rredwell wrote:
    The last thing we need is a Galwegian Grafton Street. <Shudder>

Well, with the price of rents in the city (particularly Shop Street), and the rate at which they're increasing, I think it's unavoidable that the big players will move in — they're the only ones who will be able to afford to be on Shop Street in years to come, unless the premises is family-owned.

Also, don't know if we've lost Moon's Corner — it might have adopted the parent stores name, but everyone I know still calls it Moon's Corner (I wonder what teenagers refer to it as???).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Buckfast wrote:
    Also, don't know if we've lost Moon's Corner — it might have adopted the parent stores name, but everyone I know still calls it Moon's Corner (I wonder what teenagers refer to it as???).

Well, this teenager, for one, calls it Moon's Corner and Brown Thomas Corner, alternately.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

my (non-galway) friends always have a go at me for calling it moon's, but as far as im concerned it still is. u cant change local history like that!
    same for lydon house bakery (where zhivago is on shop street now)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Rredwell wrote:
    What, as opposed to our traditional shops like McCambridge's and Powell's (OK, so I know it's William Street)? We've already lost Tyler's (one of the oldest shops in Galway) to O2 (not to mention Moon's up the road and its eponymous Corner). The last thing we need is a Galwegian Grafton Street. <Shudder>
    Would a rolleyes smiley have avoided this misunderstanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Could we have belly dancers at random points along shop street?

No? ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

rkm wrote:
    Could we have belly dancers at random points along shop street?

no, they're going to be an intergral part of the "new" eyre square. why else do you think people are so eager to see it finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

toiletduck wrote:
    no, they're going to be an intergral part of the "new" eyre square. why else do you think people are so eager to see it finished?

For the trapeze and hoops of fire! Obviously! :rolleyes:

Advertisement