Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest in starting juggling club in Dublin 6 or City Centre

Options
  • 25-03-2005 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Would anybody be interested in setting up a juggling club around Rathgar/Rathmines, or the city centre? I've experience teaching juggling, and if shown properly, most people can learn in an hour. I can think of a few venues that would probably be affordable, such as the YMCA near Aungier St, which has sports halls that are used for various things. The church on Brighton Road has a sports hall too I believe, that would proibably be free or cheap for a community project.
    Anybody any interest in doing this, or ideas post here.

edit:
    YMCA aerobics studio can be let for 35 euro an hour. Please note thios is in the nice NEW premises beside Aungier St DIT, before someone starts saying how the building isn't nice or whatever. So 7 people should be enough to get this idea off the ground.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I'm up for it provided there's a good few in. Live near enough to Rathmines/Rathgar.

Do you know anything about passing? It looks really cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Is that when two people juggle between each other?
    I remember doing that years ago. As far as I remember it was pretty easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

as far as i can tell passing is simpler than it looks, i'm itching to try it out myself, i just need to get my hands on someone else who is familiar with the clubs and has a set somewhat similar to my own (as in crap). Happy passing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

How would the money be raised? I mean lets say it's 2 hrs. once a week. That's 70 per week. Lets say there is 10 people to start off with. That's €7 per person per week. I just think there's a need for more people. Besides, coming up to summer it could be held out in the open/for free (St. Stephen's Green park for example) on dry Sundays (not necessarily Sunday).

good point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Yeah that sounds way cheaper. Let's do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

the odd sunday in st stephens might be nice alright...
    do you necessarily have to be a student to juggle in DIT/TRIN/UCD ???

No you don't.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh Id be well up for that
    If this goes ahead let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NiallKelly

I think it would be a good idea to set up a juggling club during the summer. There's a good few people who currently juggling in DIT and Trinity. Judging by the numbers there you shouldn't have much trouble getting about 20 or so people to turn up weekly. Once the summer comes people usually go to the green in Trinity on Tuesday nights when the weather is good - but its not really a great place to practice - can be a bit too windy, and my suede juggling balls don't get along well with wet grass!

• Advertisement

If we got that many interested then we could share the cost of letting a hall sheaply enough.
    Any excess money could be put towards buying communal equipment, Things people might like to try but probably don't have - like unicycles for instance. Ideally, members could borrow equipment for say a week at a time (obviously trust comes into this). Ditto for books and videos etc. Would strike me as a good idea because it is impossible to try most equipment before buying it yourself here, since you have to get it via mail order.

I'm not sure if purchasing communal equipment would be a good idea - would have to be stored, and who would keep it if the club dissappeared?

Now is a good time to start organising a new club - best to get the word around to the dublin colleges before people stop juggling and start studying for exams.

I did a webpage and a flier for this in the hope of generating enough interest to get it off the ground.
    It would be good if the flier could be stuck up in the main colleges in Dublin, as well as anywhere else where people might be interested.

The webpage is here:

http://www.juggling.peterdungan.net/

The flier can be downloaded from there.

Flier should be up in DIT Aungier St and TCD in the next few days. If anybody wants to put it up in their college or wherever then that would be cool. Please post here to indicate so if you do.

I'll let the people know at my club in maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds fun. What would I need to get? Balls, bowling-pin-type-things, sticks, or what? I'm from Leixlip, but can get into Dublin easily enough.

I'll talk to some of the UCD people this evening. Also a few others that occasionally tend to juggle mondays with UCD, but arent students.. I'll ask them to spread the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

that could be kinda cool, i'd like to try and get better at it - I can do 3 balls a bit but I keep having to walk forwards. Why do I do that??? saw a wicked juggler in Cork over easter weekend, outside the Great Outdoors. I think he was one of the lads involved in the CCCP (Cork Community Circus Project). Had a huge crowd around him and was dead funny... he got a wad of cash from the audience and rightly so.

kenmc:
    Lots of people throw forwards when they start. Juggling while standing in front of a wall seems to cure this habit as I recall. Concentrate on keeping your wrists turned in toward you a little more. Make sure you aren't "scooping" the balls - they should move sideways and up and down in a 2d plane, and not forward and backwards at all.

the syco:
    Get whatever you want to juggle with. Have never used clubs myself, but am under the impression they are more difficult to learn than balls. Decent juggling balls are about the size and weight of a medium-sized apple or orange. Same goes for beanbags, which are probably the best to learn with since they won't roll or bounce away when you drop them. Some shops sell very undersized beanbag sets, which are really awful and not worth getting at all. Don't know of any stores that sell half-decent juggling equipment. I got my balls from www.butterfingers.co.uk on mail order. They seem good to deal with. Or you could just use fruit or tennis balls or anything that sort of size, Tennis balls might be a little irritating to learn with though because they are light and bouncy.

Thanks Larry and Niall for mentioning this at your clubs :)
    I emailed DIT, TCD and UCD clubs also, as per Hugh's suggestion.
    Paul suggested that we set up a group on Yahoo, and a mailing list to keep everyone up-to-date on what's happening. It's a good idea so I did it:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DublinCityJuggling

Join it :)

I just joined the group under hugh_hefner_10. Just to let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Myself too, under fade_to_grey666. And am interested in the meets too.

Woot for the juggling forum!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

i am stealthcocoa with yahoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Shoot-a

Hi just registered on the forum and just started teaching my juggling.im a total beginner so i would love the opportunity of a club.hope to move on to devil sticks and clubs as soon as i get the money.Im 15 and live about 20mins from town but dont mind traveling where ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Dude first thing look at the dates of the posts

At the moment there's two meets going on in dublin, tuesday merrion sq at 6 til close and stephens green at the bandstand on sunday 2pm. Your more then welcome to come in and people don't mind teaching either. so swing by :)

2pm???? I thought you had declared the official start time to be 1pm!

inconsistency emmet, I am disappointed.
    shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Well i say 1pm but no one shows up and its just me on my todd til 2-3ish, looking at you larry and your pleasure suit

I will not be wearing my pleasuresuit today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The 2pm juggling's still going on on Sundays? I may start going along to that, I've being doing a lot of circus stuff lately (juggling, acrobatics, poi, ariel, diablo, isolations etc.) and am looking to continue it when my course ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

yup, still there, but as you may have seen in the other thread, some of us got kicked out of stephen's green last sunday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement