Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many poems do you have to discuss in an answer?

Options
  • 25-03-2005 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I have read in some places that it's three and others six...Does it depend on the question? Would it be okay to discuss four in great detail?

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

methinks it is about 3/4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Four is the norm I think, but decent ones. Don't be going on about Swift's Epitaph (Yeats) since it's only 5 lines, and Kavanagh's Canal poems are such píss that they really only count as one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

That's great, thanks. I've been doing six up till now and I didn't do so well in that question in the mocks because I didn't 'develop' them all enough...Four is much more managable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

to the best of my knowledge the official recommendation is that you go into detail on 3 major poems for the poet and be able to briefly refer to another 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Some questions will ask for a certain amount. Like the ones that say that a poet is coming to your school choose 3 poems that you would ask him/her to read.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think the "three in detail, refer to two" rule is probably the best advice. If you're trying to cut down on work, make sure you know enough poems to cover every possible theme relating to that particular poet

Advertisement