Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 3 series

Options
  • 25-03-2005 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

E36?

Just looking for a bit of info. Im going away for the summer and i am looking for a new car when i get back. I am ideally looking at something no more than a 1.6 (for insurance, im a 19yo male with 2 yrs ncb in my own name and full license for 2 years) and a sporty saloon/coupe (not really interested in a hatch).

I am looking at bmw's mainly, early 90's and i have 6000 to spend. Also i have to think of insurance prices too

What should i look out for when buying one. I am looking for a sleek/sporty car but also with a bit of reliability. What you guys think?

I've heard about companies like blacklion motors who import cars for about this price to suit customers demands, what you think of this?

Plus any other recommendations on cars you think i should go for? Needs to be 90's and reliable. Ive driven minis for a few years and want a bigger sportier car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

i am just 20 last week. 2 years named and under my first year under my own.lisence for 2 half years. i got quoted for 96 316i coupe for 1600 or 1800 fully comp.with quinn direct about 2 hours ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

a quinn direct cert will get you past a garda checkpoint I suppose, but I wouldn't expect much after that, they were actually €400 cheaper with my broker but I still didn't go with them, I know some folk got screwed pretty bad over some ridiculous (even by a judges account) small print. Fine if you don't have an accident though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Yeah i got my quote off quinn and it was €1597 which i think is pretty superb but i had open drive on my account with hibernian so id rather stick with them to be honest. Will prob be a lot more though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

528i wrote:
    a quinn direct cert will get you past a garda checkpoint I suppose, but I wouldn't expect much after that, they were actually €400 cheaper with my broker but I still didn't go with them, I know some folk got screwed pretty bad over some ridiculous (even by a judges account) small print. Fine if you don't have an accident though.

quinn direct sucks , they will try to screw you even if you where on the right to avoid any costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Ratchet wrote:
    quinn direct sucks , they will try to screw you even if you where on the right to avoid any costs

Thats been my experience of them aswell. Blood from a stone would be easier.

• Advertisement

Thread hijackers!! :p

Anyway, anybody any info on the 3 series?

Thanks

One of those kinda cars where theres a lot of ropey ones. Kinda car I'd get the AA check done on. They pickup things even a mechanic wouldn't spot. Try to buy privately, where the car is as standard as possible, and the owner hasa shedload of reciepts. Thats the kinda car you want. A car this old, I'd be trying to get an Irish one as there would be less chance of rust. Find a place like, http://www.cambridgemotorco.ie/ or http://www.dermot-wallace-motors.com/showroom2.html and leave your details. As they can ring you when one comes in. Dunno how good these garages are. Just there the kinda places I'd be looking. Unless of course you have the time to travel all over looking at private ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

ya i like the open drivin on hiberian too. its about its about 1600-1700 on a 93 316 e36 with hiber

thanks for the info lads, do you think it is better to buy from a dealer and try get some sort of warranty?

cooper_man wrote:
    thanks for the info lads, do you think it is better to buy from a dealer and try get some sort of warranty?

If you buy a good one you won't need a warranty, and dealer prices are a lot dearer. Depends on the quality of the warranty and its terms. Some of them don't cover that much. But going through a dealer and getting a warranty is less work. But you'll pay for it.

• Advertisement

Guess you're right, better to just get it aa checked and buy private

Advertisement