Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Frontera Whats wrong?

Options
  • 25-03-2005 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Got a 99 opel frontera 2.2 dsl 117k on the clock its been 4weeks since it was at the main stealer normally ( local independent but it needed stuff done shocks dealer parts only and got serviced changed cv joints,oil etc)

Before it went to main stealer, it wouldnt start it would turn over and after a while it would start very low revs chuck chuck would then build up and run at idle normally it down to main stealer suppositly fixed it and then last week the same s***e started again and the solinoid went got one replaced it.Wouldnt start towed it started turned off ignition checked started immediatly,1 hour later when engine wascold same again starter working didnt spinn it to much didnt want to burn out a new starter white smoke.

Whats wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Not wanting to be glib - but the Frontera used to finish bottom of the JD Power Top Gear survey every year, so they're not exactly renowned for reliability.

The only time I've had that kind of trouble with a diesel it needed new heater coils, but with the mild weather at the moment they shouldn't be absolutely necessary. Also, given the mileage it should be onto it's third timing belt. Do you know if this has been done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'd start with the glow plugs, make sure they have not blown the main fuse while at it, they may do that also when they fail.

And if that is not the problem, I might verify it is delivering fuel on starting.
    Mu mom's old Pug used to be slow to start, turned out the filter needed changing.
    there was a little primer bulb on the fuel line, pumping that on startup made a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

mate had one of these jeeps two years ago,no offence intended ;) the worst pile of scrap i ever came accross,it cost him more money to keep it on the road then it was worth, :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i think the title says it all, the frontera is not a good car. cut ur losses and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd check the glow plugs and the fuel filter, I remeber once removing a filter from a Fiat Punto 1.9D and checking the interior of the filter housing - it was caked in solid derv which has accumulated over the thousands of miles (it was a hard working van) anyway after the crap was removed and a new filter dropped in it started and went much better.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 bunker

Thanks for the replies. Beleave it or not this is the first time it has given trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

ur looky so ;) hopefully thats the only trouble u get,if not id get rid fast :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement