Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest arcade games

• 26-03-2005 12:07am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Was messing about with mame today and on my Saturn and it got me thinking about the best arcade games ever made. Here's my list:

1. Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition

The best version of the best fighting game ever. It could be argued that the soul calibur or Virtua Fighter games have surpassed it but those games never built up the as big a gaming community as the SF2 cabinets. I can still remember the feuds between myself and other players and also the queues for a game of winner stays on.

2. Radiant silvergun

I've admittedly only ever played the Saturn version but this game is the best shmup ever created. It is great fun to play but even after you can beat the levels easilythere is an incredible amount of ways that your score could be improved by diferent combos and clipping bullets and obstacles. You could play this game forever trying to better your score.

3. Alien vs. Predator

An excellent streets of rage type scrolling fighting game from capcom. I remember becoming very good at this game and built up a few crowds to watch me play it in Dr. Quirkies. Tonnes of alien sprites to kill and the moves were extremely satisfying (its great ripping an aliens head off an upward slice). Better than the film as well :)

4. Ghouls and Ghosts

Fantastic platformer from capcom. Still has a special place in my heart for being the first non beat'em up or racing arcade game i beat on one credit.

5. Sega Rally

Excellent racer from Sega. Handling felt really slippy but it was still great fun trying to control that beast of a supra around the 3 courses.

6. Salamander

Excellent shmup from Konami. Improves on gradius because in doesn't send you back when you lose a life. The game is still brilliant despite its age.

7. R-type

Quite possibly the best designed shmup ever. Extremely difficult, like all great arcade games it was great for showing off. Only spoiled by levels 6 and 7 being far too difficult.

8. Killer Instinct

I'm not a big fan of this game and there are much more strategic beat'em ups around but killer instinct was a show offs dream come true. It was very easy to pull a big crowd around you if you were any way decent.

9. Metal slug

Excellent run and gun game and probably the best example of the genre on an arcade system. The quirky cartoon comedy really added to the insane on screen violence.

10. Puzzle bobble

Insanely addictive puzzle game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

My single favourite arcade game was bubble bobble, and that was a really long time ago, when I'd go to the arcade in the back of the florist down the road with 2 pounds and play games for hours.....

After that I've always loved gun games, especially point blank and time crisis. Most of my arcade time was spent shooting things. Never got into fighting games either, super street fighter was great, and the original DOA was pretty impressive when I first saw it.

It's been far too long since I was a regular arcade goer to remember the games I liked though......can't think of any of the names but I can remember the games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't believe i forgot Virtua Cop 1 + 2. I remember spending a fortune on them trying to get the perfect score. 3 shoots or mercy shot for every bad guy and then the secret boss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Daytona USA multiplayer. Or Double Dragon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Bubble Bobble All the way
    Had it on commdore at home
    used to play doubles with a friend
    When we would go into the arcade we would play for ages on a credit each
    best value I ever got in an arcade

Dec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Retr0gamer wrote:
    9. Metal slug

Excellent run and gun game and probably the best example of the genre on an arcade system. The quirky cartoon comedy really added to the insane on screen violence.

Metal Slug, spent hours playing it, brought out for the GBA recently, total crap.

Silent Scope is another good arcade game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Hard drivin' - for me, without doubt.

Bubble bobble, shinobi, r-type etc.. for sure, but they're well emulated in MAME.

But as an actual ARCADE game - it has to be HD.

[EDIT] Oh, and wonderboy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Spend countless hours playing puzzle bobble, golden axe and that tenni sgame with the rollerball doen in mosney , then later on die-hard arcade in my local arcade. I also used to play Golden Axe 2 or 3 in the local chippie while waiting on a bag of chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

My favorite arcade game was called "SNOW BROS" very like Bubble Bobble but better, anyone evry play it ?

xSnow_Bros._-_Nick_&_Tom.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I used to spend alot of time with Chase HQ and Out Run.

There was even a pretty great follow up to Chase HQ. It would keep switching from an 'in-car' view to a 'behind the car' view.

There was another good frantic driving game called Cisco Heat which was great fun too.

I used to always punish myself with Hard Drivin'... but I was really rubbish at it.

R-Type was probably the arcade game I speant the most time on. And it's probably has some of my favourite in-game music of all time.

I also used to get alot of pleasure out of Pac-land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Time Crisis was good for a quick larf when it first came out... not too flash nowadays though.

R-Type, soooo good... apparently a lot of the bosses were based on what the designer found in his bathroom (dirty), and surprisingly a lot of the clones of the game were quite good.

The justice shot in Virtua Cop was great, that right hand was asking for it.

...and not forgetting Rampage, "Smashy smashy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

street fighter alpha 3 is better than champ edition

radiant silvergun is just another top down shooter, all those games get boring fast

i liked the time crisis and ridge racer series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I think the first game I got hooked on as a kid was Pole Position. What a feeling of power. However, I grew up in Sega's golden age so my fav game is without a doubt Shinobi. All those warm summer days with 10p's down in Bary. Ah the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

lads does no one remember stryker

My god i remember the day that we got it into our pub manmany moons ago.

thank god for poor family accounting, i remmeber when we emptied it, my mother thought that this thing was a gold mine, little did she know that i was the major contributor to it.

all those levels, all those baddies. the flying pirahna's going through the river/jungle section.

and the anti gravity thunder dome. Simple but effective and if i am correct around the late eighties

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved, and still do, the original Star Wars arcade game, Outrun, R-type 2, Xybots, Flying Shark and Starblade, racing game that took my breath away was Virtua Racing, have a saturn, 32x and megadrive version of it, can't wait for the arcade perfect PS2 one.
    Best shooter I have played is Dodonpachi, incredible stuff.
    If you guys love your arcade games, you must all have chipped Xboxes, right?
    Mine is stuffed with about 2,500 arcade games, nice to dip in and out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Was messing about with mame today and on my Saturn and it got me thinking about the best arcade games ever made. Here's my list:

1. Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition

The best version of the best fighting game ever. It could be argued that the soul calibur or Virtua Fighter games have surpassed it but those games never built up the as big a gaming community as the SF2 cabinets. I can still remember the feuds between myself and other players and also the queues for a game of winner stays on.

Your a Nintendo Fanboy aren't you? Tekken best fighting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Street Fighter 2 CE was easily my favourite. Snow Bros, Raiden, Rolling Thunder, Shinobi, Stryder (late eighties sounds about right) and the Ridge Racer with clutch and proper gear stick all stand out though :D

Edit: Add Golden Axe and Pacland to that, even if the c64 version was a joystick killer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

All time favourite arcade game would probably be Snow Bros - it's hard to pin down though, so many other greats - Shinobi, Shadow dancer (Shinobi + dog!), Street Fighter 2, World Heroes, Night Slashers (best scrolling beatemup ever), Time Crisis, Silent Scope, After Burner (gotta love the moving case!), New Zealand Story....ah, fond memories.

Fysh wrote:
    All time favourite arcade game would probably be Snow Bros - it's hard to pin down though, so many other greats - Shinobi, Shadow dancer (Shinobi + dog!), Street Fighter 2, World Heroes, Night Slashers (best scrolling beatemup ever), Time Crisis, Silent Scope, After Burner (gotta love the moving case!), New Zealand Story....ah, fond memories.

Ah Someone else who loves this game :)

I had this jamma board at home with a few other classics, I use to play them on a Super-Gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

pacman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sf2 CE and Bubble Bobble

Endless fun on 20 pence.

kdjac

Operation wolf
    Cost me a fortune in the arcades in Kilkee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Double dragon and bad dudes were favs of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Operation wolf
    Cost me a fortune in the arcades in Kilkee!
    I was never a fan of Operation Wolf.

But I did love... I think it was called.. Space Gun. It was the same type of game but on a space station over run with aliens. It had some great boss battles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Street Fighter 2 CE without a doubt. Best arcade game ever.

However The Punisher will always hold a special place in my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 djhooley

blockout,tetris,ghosts n goblins,bubble bobble,shinobi,double dragon(elbow all the way) golden axe(the dwarf fella was the only one) new zeland story. all are perfect runnin on mame. i've a cabinet built around my x-arcade. i be such the hero when i have parties in the flat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

House of the Dead

I played this nonstop for about 3 years. Anytime I was bored, rather than play some new game that I would suck at and would be just wasting money playing, I just used a solitary 50p on House of the Dead and completed it (usually)

I also have a claim to fame, my score was top in the Atari Expo in tallaght for about 3 weeks before it was turned off :(

Final Fight was just ^-^ aswell.

djhooley wrote:
    ,double dragon(elbow all the way)

lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Ace driver - Victory Lap
    Operation Wolf
    Chase HQ
    Double Dragon
    Street Fighter 2
    Virtua Racing
    Time Crisis
    the Rise of the Triad VR machine
    Bubble Bobble

Dance Revolution (never played it but think getting gamers off their asses to have fun is no bad thing)

That game with the flying machine you'd peddal with the wind machine in it

That game that used to be in the front of Dr. Querkies, was a jet fighter game that went 360 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

bounty wrote:
    radiant silvergun is just another top down shooter, all those games get boring fast

It's obvious that you haven't played radiant silvergun. The best thing about it is that it never gets boring only more challenging, even the earlier levels when you start chaining them.
    Wolf wrote:
    Your a Nintendo Fanboy aren't you? Tekken best fighting game.

Not a fanboy I just appreciate their games. Actually SF2:CE was never released on the SNES but was on the megadrive.

And Tekken is a disgrace of a fighting game that is about as balanced as the leaning tower of pisa. I'd have respect for you if you mentioned soul calibur or virtua fighter. tsk, tsk.

Advertisement