Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest arcade games

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nanook wrote:
    lads does no one remember stryker

Strider is tha game and it was indeed excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Jesus, I forgot all about asteroids. Best game ever, and it cost me a fortune in pocket money when I was a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Wolf wrote:
    Your a Nintendo Fanboy aren't you? Tekken best fighting game.
    Dunno if the guy is a Fanboy or not, but, the game he mentioned is a 2-dFighter, you mentioned a 3-dFighter. Huge Difference!!

And you didn't even mention the nest of the 3-dFighters (ATM anyway) VF4!!; Tekken was a woeful game, T2/3 were a lot better, though I just couldn't accept ANY 3-dFighters until recently, I was just too into the 2-d ones at their time!

Other great Arcade games:

SmashTV
    House of the Dead
    Killer Instinct
    G-LOC

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Chase HQ "Let's go, Mr Driver"
    Pacman
    Space Invaders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

Final Fight was another one I enjoyed...

Final%20Fight%20CD%20(U).gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, Final Fight was class - only thing was my favourite by far is Final Fight 3, which I don't think ever made it to the arcade (SNES exclusive, iirc- oh yeah baby :D). Night slashers was ever so slightly better though, more for the visuals and story than playability - I think they're about even there.

(Just realised I also forgot Sunset Riders, a game I shovelled a fair amount of cash into in my younger days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Retr0gamer wrote:
    9. Metal slug

Excellent run and gun game and probably the best example of the genre on an arcade system. The quirky cartoon comedy really added to the insane on screen violence.
    I remember playing that game YEARS ago and I loved the cartoon violence, I mean it was brilliant, the mackine gun bullets were as big as the enemies heads and the fire balls took up half the screen, then while vacating in portugal last year I came across it again, what a classic, took up most of my holiday... but well worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Good list so far.

Anyone remember badlands? Top down racing game where you picked up wrenches to buy powerups like missiles and nito. I pumped money into that as well.

Don't forget Mortal kombat.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

OH OH !!!!

Remember Aliens ?

aliens.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

BloodBath wrote:
    Anyone remember badlands? Top down racing game where you picked up wrenches to buy powerups like missiles and nito. I pumped money into that as well.
    Ah yes, I was da man at Badlands. 50p used to get me about an hours worth of entertainment in Bray on Badlands.

My other fave was Outrun, I could finish it on one credit. I am da man.

Robbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sega's brilliant Derby Owner's Club is the only arcade game to get me hooked in the last decade or so. Such a shame that they got rid of it from the Atari Expo. Does anyone know of any other places that have it in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Simpsons arcade game. A final fight clone that was really enjoyable. The best feature was that it could be played in 4 player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The Simpsons arcade game. A final fight clone that was really enjoyable. The best feature was that it could be played in 4 player.

Ninja turtles was also 4 player and very playable.

Never played many car games Chase HQ was the only one really .....

Line up in our arcade was Bubble Bobble Chase HQ Tetris Sf2 CE haxored edition,Sunset Riders (bruy me with my money hur hur hur), snow bros,Aliens Op Wolf for about 7 years same games

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Retr0gamer wrote:
    That was fantastic, can you remember the co operative moves they could do? As bart you could jump onto homers shoulders, and I remember the 4 getting together to pick up a car......It's a shame the rest of the simpsons games didn't quite live up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

SF2 CE. The ultimate arcade game
    Others

Wonderboy 2
    Snow bros
    Midnight resistance
    Rygar
    Robocop
    New zealand story
    Super pang
    Chelnov
    Hammerin harry
    Aliens
    Air buster
    Oscar
    Strider
    Un squadron
    Final fight
    Heavy barrell
    Ghosts and goblins
    Sunset riders

I used to live in arcades when I was younger, robbing money anywhere I could to play games :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

KdjaC wrote:
    Sunset Riders (bruy me with my money hur hur hur)
    kdjac

HA HA. "Me in big big trouble"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Oh the memories!
    Clonmel had 2 arcades when i was in school there and i used to spend some amount of money in them. In no particular order, my favourites.

Street Fighter 2
    Tekken 1/2
    Samurai Showdown 3/4
    King of the Fighters (95 or 96)
    WWF WretleFest (i think)
    Golden Axe
    Final Fight
    Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
    Badlands
    R-Type
    Prehistoric Isle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

1 . SF2 , Absolute Classic

2. Salamander , loved this game for many years, and still do

3. Rastan Saga , side scrolling slash-em up , reminds me of HE-MAN still :)

4. Puzzle Bobble , addictive little beggar

5. Golden Axe , Just so good to play

and others to mention are :

Wonderboy

game with captain america and some marvel heroes.. can't remember what it's called..

The Punisher
    Simpsons Arcade game
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
    Pang, and Super Pang
    Rallisport Challenge ... i liked it
    Aliens
    Final Fight
    Street Fighter.. original Ryu kicks ass
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Soul Blade
    Time Crisis
    another i cant remember, but involved like cowboy western shootouts, side scrolling shooting and running over cattle occationally.. thats all i can think of atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Originally Posted by Retr0gamer

Ninja turtles was also 4 player and very playable.

I remember finishing the turtles one with my younger brother years ago -- that was satisfying! So many cool games mentioned above, Snow Bros, New Zealand Story, Street Fighter,... great choices!
    I loved the side-scrolling X-Men beat 'em up, think it was around in the early-mid 90s.

Anyone remember the Superman arcade game they had in Dublin airport years and years ago? It had ground-based levels where you could throw cars & stuff, and then flying levels where you blasted missles with your heat vision. It was brilliant :D

In more modern times, I have a huge weakness for 'House of the Dead' 1/2 and the Star Wars Trilogy SEGA arcade game. They're the ones I'll gravitate towards in any arcade these days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Retr0gamer wrote:

It wasn't a final fight clone it was a Turtles clone which was another great arcade game. I have the lot on mame32 anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Retr0gamer wrote:
    And Tekken is a disgrace of a fighting game that is about as balanced as the leaning tower of pisa. I'd have respect for you if you mentioned soul calibur or virtua fighter. tsk, tsk.

Virtua Fighter isn't bad, but, its a poor mans tekken no depth whats so ever. Also, soul calibur is utter pish total button bashin fest no challange in that game at all. Now doing your own version of Kings throw combo where you combine two of them in to a six throw combo that was great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Virtua Fighter isn't bad, but, its a poor mans tekken no depth whats so ever. Also, soul calibur is utter pish total button bashin fest no challange in that game at all. Now doing your own version of Kings throw combo where you combine two of them in to a six throw combo that was great!

Or even better, pull off his 10 throw combo.

BloodBath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Samurai Shodown 4

Cadillacs And Dinasours

Snow Bros 1 and 2

Street fighter 2 : rainbow eidition

MetalSlug

Outrun 2 !!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭ionapaul

My favs:
    Golden Axe
    Badlands
    Some type of street basketball game, no idea of the name, way more fun than the NBA games

Top game: Sunset Riders. That ruled. Fighting the guy on the train throwing barrels at you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ttc028

Anyone remember Stargate Defender?
    Now that was class!
    I remember one guy playing for 2 hours on one 10p coin!

Virtua Fighter isn't bad, but, its a poor mans tekken no depth whats so ever

Blah, Ha, Ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I forgot:

BOMBERMAN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Wolf wrote:
    Virtua Fighter isn't bad, but, its a poor mans tekken no depth whats so ever. Also, soul calibur is utter pish total button bashin fest no challange in that game at all.

:eek: :rolleyes:

I would like my objection noted in the minutes please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Last Blade 1 & 2; the only beat em ups I ever played, you can keep your polygons, this is how fighting games should look!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Super Sprint, pure class, they keep coming back to me after reading this thread.

Advertisement