Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest arcade games

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Anyone remember ARKANOID! :D

And Ridge Racer! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Anyone remember Lucky and Wild ?
    One person drove the other shot. Great fun for two players.

The super sidekicks series weren't bad.

Everyone was addicted to puzzle bobble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I remember when I was on holidays in France, this arcade game. You were this guy running right continuously shooting anyone you saw. Whats the name of it? It was called Captain slug or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Probably Metal Slug. Great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

S*T*U*N Runner was an old personal favourite. Not a comfortable seat, but it was very, very fast, and very, very fun. The madness if you managed to keep the ship over the line of boosters for the whole track was pure exhileration...

I too had a ting for Sunset Riders. Mexicans in ponchos rock.

And I have lost count of the time and money I spent in a particular arcade finishing AD&D Tower of Darkness (I think). Streets of rage with Kobolds and a sodding huge dragon, what's not to like? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Street fighter 2 CE was a great fav of mine, especially the sit down version where you had a chair and loads of space! Altough it was the cause of many a scrap outside Tallaght Sportsbowl (now leisureplex)

Other games badlands and something sprint (championship sprint maybe) two kick a$$ top down racers.

Oh and does anyone remember a fighting game called pit fighter? absolute class...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Space Invaders is the greatest arcade game.

You pop in the coin, you shoot, you dodge, you try and hold your tenuous grip on life for just one more round.
    It gets faster and faster and throws more of the wretched enemy down on top of you, as they whittle away your three small havens of safety, menacingly advancing closer and closer to their objective.

Add to this a constant reminder of your performance in the shape of the score which serves only to entrench the public nature of your display of skill and courage.

Many see Space Invaders as a mere game. Those who have fought tooth an nail know better, it is a macabre battle between man and machine - one which only the machine can win, a dark suicide pact with yor peers - you can only hope to lose better than those who have gone before you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

iregk wrote:
    Oh and does anyone remember a fighting game called pit fighter? absolute class...

Play it on an emulator. It's muck. A sure fire way to get the rose tinted glasses off your head with an almighty bitch slap.

Your probably right, i must give it a whack again, the 1 thing that annoyed me about it you had one energy bar for the whole game!!!

Have nebula running at the moment with SF Zero 2 Alpha, class game…

Two other classic car games, Burnin Rubber (pretty much an outrun rip) and Final Lap 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Gauntlet!

• Advertisement

Blast from the past and the best graphics ever in an arcade game... Mad Dog McRae!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Sarky wrote:
    I too had a ting for Sunset Riders. Mexicans in ponchos rock.
    Aye, and the bosses were pure class too, Paco Laco and the guy near the end who threw roses... THAT HURT YOU!!!

clichés

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Probably showing my age here but anyone remember KungFu Master? You basically walked left-to-right, or vice versa depending on what level you were on, and had to fight lemming karate guys and dodge flying knives and exploding ballon-thingies that dropped from the ceiling. It's amazing how the simplest games can be the most challenging and addictive.

Another game I played A LOT of was Xain D'Sleena. Anyone remember that one?

Mortal Kombat was an amazing arcade game when it came out.

Kung Fu master, yes i remember it your controls were punch, high kick, low kick and jump... so simple...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

abccormac wrote:
    Super Sprint, pure class, they keep coming back to me after reading this thread.

Ah yes Super Sprint, spent many, many hours in my local chipper on that...

My best memories are I suppose from Mosney back in the day - they had a 40ft trailer full of machines (same one that appeared at Spring Shows in the rds I think) and a plank up to a door on it. Very dingy and dark but it was in one of them I saw, for the first time, pac-man, space invaders and an arcade machine I'd LOVE to find and do up - BattleTank.

You had to stand up on a little step and peer through this visor with two joysticks to control the tank.....ahhh yes indeed, class.

If anyone ever finds one of them can you PM me...I'd pay top dallar!!

Advertisement