Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Computer LAN problem

Options
  • 26-03-2005 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

I have 2 computers
    1 : Home PC - Connected to Internet using Eircom BB.
    2 : Laptop

I created a LAN to link these computers and to use the internet from the laptop but it does not seem to be working properly. The network icon at the bottom right says Limited or No connectivity and The Home PC cannot see the Laptop PC on the network. The Laptop PC can however see the home pc and transfer files to and fro but it cannot surf the net.

Any ideas what im doing wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

They're networked fine.

1) Enable file/printer sharing on the laptop. If it's XP the firewall may be preventing it from being found.

2) You can use Internet Connection Sharing from the PC to allow the laptop to connect out. It's fairly simple but it can be a bit flakey on some PC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Do the PC and laptop get an IP address automatically (DHCP) from the router. On the PC and laptop do the following from a command prompt.

ipconfig /all

You should have a default gateway, DHCP server entry and DNS server entry. Possibly something like 192.168.1.254

Are they the same bar the IP address? Check that laptop is set to optain an ip address automatically if the router is set to DHCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Where do I enable internet connection sharing?

ipconfig /all does nothing just returns the same base prompt i had

c:\docu.....\valor : ipconfig /all

gives

c:\docu..\valor :

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

valor wrote:
    Where do I enable internet connection sharing?

ipconfig /all does nothing just returns the same base prompt i had

c:\docu.....\valor : ipconfig /all

gives

c:\docu..\valor :

? :confused: Should give you your ip configuration? heres a link .

Advertisement