Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL - Absolutely Ridiculous!!!

• 26-03-2005 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I live in Dublin 12, one of the areas that is supposably updated by NTL Broadband. I contacted them for the first time last June and was told that they can't release information of the updating on particular areas but they were sure it would be coming soon. Well that was almost last year and i regularly contact them, i get the same thing back all the time. What really annoys me is that for the last few months roads opposite mine have been updated and it seems they are bypassing my road!!! There isn't any way to get more info is there? The really bad thing is that i can't get eircom broadband because my line failed the line test due to splitters and i'm still on dialup :o , i was considering Ripwave, but decided to opt out of that, rather not let that service rip me off. So i'm basically relying on NTL for bb and i hope they get their act together, i'm so p***** off!!! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Try contacting paulyx. He's a user here and might be able to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

will do infini, thanks, who is this guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I live in Dublin 22

and they have been telling me the same thing for the past 4 years, I just gave up on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I know how you feel. I was like that for ages. Finally got it. I still am annoyed why I can't get my phone line cleaned up. :mad: You'd have some choice of provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

My flatmate rang, told the same thing. I rang, was nice, . I did sugest that thier system might not be upto date with what areas are covered. sure enough, we are. D4. they will be here on wednesday. Checked for my mate in crumlinD12 while on the line, he can get it as well. BE nice, who knows where it could connect you. :)

09DotC

• Advertisement

RogueDotC wrote:
    My....Free install and cable and free tv points and nothing to pay for 3 months.
    09DotC

The TV points you'll be paying for for years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

asked about that, they are free if for the basic package. €10 a month for the digital points(3/4 years before thats all there is) I asked did we have to pay anything fro them at anythime and was told its now free, but I will DBcheck.
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I live on St.James's Road, Walkinstown (D12) and I was told last september that we coudn't get it. I was very persistant and when I found out my neighbour had it I rang back and told them and they had to eat their words.
    As far as I'm concerned they really don't have a clue what they are doing. Seamingly it has been available in D12 for some time now.

What street do you live on gazza22 ?? PM me if you don't want to make it public :D

RogueDotC wrote:
    asked about that, they are free if for the basic package. €10 a month for the digital points(3/4 years before thats all there is) I asked did we have to pay anything fro them at anythime and was told its now free, but I will DBcheck.
    cheers

I have the basic package and still get charged for the extra points so I'd like to hear if thats true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

If you get extra tv points installed during the free installation then you pay ZERO to get them in. You also pay ZERO to use them i.e no monthly charge.
    And i know this because i got 3 extra points installed for free and my bill shows my points as free.

• Advertisement

Diabolus wrote:
    If you get extra tv points installed during the free installation then you pay ZERO to get them in. You also pay ZERO to use them i.e no monthly charge.
    And i know this because i got 3 extra points installed for free and my bill shows my points as free.

"During the free installation" if you get them not in that period does that mean I should cancel them and then get them installed again?

I dont think so.
    I had teh basic TV ordered a month before i was told i cud get bb so i asked if that meant i wud get free tv for a year. She kindly informed me that was not the case. I signed up for a different deal back then.
    Such is life!

Diabolus wrote:
    I dont think so.
    I had teh basic TV ordered a month before i was told i cud get bb so i asked if that meant i wud get free tv for a year. She kindly informed me that was not the case. I signed up for a different deal back then.
    Such is life!

So are you still not paying for the extra points outside of the 3 months?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I contacted NTL last week to order the 1.5mb BB product and I got a very pleasant surprise. They offered me free basic analogue TV for 12 months :)

What we actually decided to do was get the BB and get 3 digital points (€10 for the first digital point, €5 each for the second two). The analogue is still free.

So now we are getting 3 digital points for the same price as the analogue TV we used to have :), at least for the first 12 months.

All of this will be installed for free and there won't be any extra charge for the extra points.

NTL Digital with my Tivo should be excellent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

heya guys, thanks for all the posts, sorry i wasn't able to reply sooner, wasn't online yesterday!...i live in Drimnagh, it does seem that NTL are operating the rollout very badly. I'm told its a great service once you have it...whenever that will be for me :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

gazza22 wrote:
    What really annoys me is that for the last few months roads opposite mine have been updated and it seems they are bypassing my road!!!
    It is quite possible that the cables to your road are unsuitable.
    I have ntl bb (and it is great) and know about a nearby road that cannot get it, despite being surrounded by others that can.

I have the same situation with DSL - those houses acrosss the road can get it but not my side (eircom laid poor cable between exchange and the cabinet that serves my house and neighbours). Thankfully ntl came through (and eircom don't get any money from me).
    As far as I'm concerned they really don't have a clue what they are doing.
    This seems to be a theme of broadband rollout, regardless of the company involved. You'd swear they didn't want customers and revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

RogueDotC wrote:
    My flatmate rang, told the same thing. I rang, was nice, . I did sugest that thier system might not be upto date with what areas are covered. sure enough, we are. D4. they will be here on wednesday. Checked for my mate in crumlinD12 while on the line, he can get it as well. BE nice, who knows where it could connect you. :)

09DotC

Where in D4? I live in D4 and I want NTL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

WizZard wrote:
    Where in D4? I live in D4 and I want NTL!

NTL is rubbish .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Care to expand on that, I also can only recently get NTL broadband and am thinking of getting it would you care to elaborate on your statement "NTL is rubbish"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

paddy wrote:
    Care to expand on that, I also can only recently get NTL broadband and am thinking of getting it would you care to elaborate on your statement "NTL is rubbish"

Well if you in Riverwood / Carpenterstown area of Dublin NTL has very bad pings and service is up and down like a yo yo !!

:-) I have NTL and IBB in my house and the IBB is far better for gaming........

• Advertisement

So are you still not paying for the extra points outside of the 3 months?

Not a single cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Those of you who can't get your Eircom phone line cleaned up, so you can get broadband could do what my cousin did.

He rang Eircom twice a day for two weeks or so. It got to the point that the people in Eircom’s call centre recognised his voice and if he was a little later calling they were saying “your late today we were expecting your call at 11”

Eventually they gave in and replaced his phone line for free and gave him their business broadband product for the price of the residential one. They figured that it was cheaper to fix his line and get him to go away. Rather than taking two calls a day every day, forever.

Willie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Those of you who can't get your Eircom phone line cleaned up, so you can get broadband could do what my cousin did.

He rang Eircom twice a day for two weeks or so. It got to the point that the people in Eircom’s call centre recognised his voice and if he was a little later calling they were saying “your late today we were expecting your call at 11”

Eventually they gave in and replaced his phone line for free and gave him their business broadband product for the price of the residential one. They figured that it was cheaper to fix his line and get him to go away. Rather than taking two calls a day every day, forever.

Willie
    Those type of people are called "serial complainers". They generally get what they want because they are so persistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

WizZard wrote:
    Those type of people are called "serial complainers". They generally get what they want because they are so persistent.
    That's right, for example - Moriarty is a cereal complainer and he always gets what he wants! :D

causal

Advertisement