Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments on what I see in my 10x50 binos

Options
  • 26-03-2005 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I thought I might mention what a pair binoculars has helped me see in the night sky.

* Jupiter's moons! - Wow! This was a real kick. I can clearly see of it's 3 moons. Callisto, Ganymede and Europa. On the 24th March... 2 were close together on 1 side and the other further out on the other side. Tonight I can see all 3 on 1 side. Great since they more or less orbit in 16 hours. It's great to see changes in a few hours. You can also see the 45 degree plane the moons are roughly aligned on. The tripod keeps the image still.

* Pleiades - I thought this would look good and it sure doesn't disappoint! Fits the binocular's angular view perfectly.

* The Moon - Obvious but yep, it's great. Learning thoses Mares, and the more impressive craters (this alone makes me want get a more powerful bino/telescope).

* I was looking at the Cancer constellation, the one above the Hydra's head and right of Leo the lion. Right at the center star of Cancer is the Beehive cluster (M44). This looks pretty amazing in Binoculars. Fainter than the Pleaides but again fits the binos view perfectly.

* Looked for Titan (or any moon) around Saturn. Not sure I saw any... but I did see a v.faint star (and very close) just directly underneath it. Could be... I need to check starry night.

* Comet Machholz... no sign near the north star (within 10 degs I last heard). I guess I need to pin point this exactly - must look like a faint star at this stage even in the binos?

* Orion's Nebula - I can break down the sword to 3 pairs of clustered stars

What else can you see in your binoculars - clearly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You've got most of the good ones in that. Grab your star atlas and if it is clear go out and look and see what you can see. You can do it either way. Look at your book and then find the item or find an item while scanning, and then try to identify it in your book. I've come across some wonderful sights doing that kind of thing. I can't tell you offhand where or what they were, but go out and look and you'll find plenty. That after all is part of the joys of our hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Flukey wrote:
    You've got most of the good ones in that. Grab your star atlas and if it is clear go out and look and see what you can see. You can do it either way. Look at your book and then find the item or find an item while scanning, and then try to identify it in your book. I've come across some wonderful sights doing that kind of thing. I can't tell you offhand where or what they were, but go out and look and you'll find plenty. That after all is part of the joys of our hobby.

Here's some I have to try (quoted from CloudyNights Forums) as soon as the sky clears:

M3 14 +28
    At mag 5.9 this cluster in Canes Venatici is one of the brightest in the sky! Easily gazed upon with 7X35s. Don't miss this one!

Right up there next close to Majoris Ursa's back legs. If he's right about the 7x35s I should be in luck...

The little beehive south of Sirius I haven't seen that yet too.

Anyway, enjoying the moon from indoors at the moment... with light cloud cover that the moon can easily punch through, upstairs on the landing on a comfy chair looking south at the moment in a pitch dark horizon, just at the right height for now... should be good for an hour. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A clear full moon is nice to see.

Advertisement