Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Oldies

Options
  • 26-03-2005 2:18am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Come back... Please. :confused:

I really don't know what happened and where but come back. I've nothing against new bunches of people arriving but why must all the oldies leave? Same thing happened with reunions. This makes Podge muchly sad. *cries*

</rant? /reminiscence? /nonsense?>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

They've moved on from CTYI. To college, work, and their lives. While they doubtlessly remember and cherish the memories of CTYI (or else...), they don't feel the need to listen to a bunch of 14 year olds complain about how unfair the world is to them, and how Rage Against the Machine is their favourite band. Of course, if you could raise the tone of the board and attract enough oldies back then it would become more attractive to other oldies. But you do this at the risk of alienating the current audience

But what do you care, it's not like you're earning advertising revenue or anything. Bring back some oldies, and the rest will follow. Don't hold me to this, though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

See that's the thing. I don't see why some "oldies" who are still interested don't "Just Post" (TM). People aren't required to read other posts on here. Most people, so I think, only read posts they think will interest them - though there are some Flame-a-holics. Anyhow...

Something.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I'm not here...

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I dont really post on here per-sé, mainly because i'm very much a different person to the guy i was when in CTYI, and find i don't have the carefree WOOHOO aspect that most of the current users have around age 16. in other words, i've become very world weary and amnt as willing to engage in mindless banter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

crash_000 wrote:
    I dont really post on here per-sé, mainly because i'm very much a different person to the guy i was when in CTYI, and find i don't have the carefree WOOHOO aspect that most of the current users have around age 16. in other words, i've become very world weary and amnt as willing to engage in mindless banter :D
    I think that's why most of the older CTYIers (myself included) don't participate in a positive way as much.

We're still good for crushing the hopes and dreams of the younger ones, though.

• Advertisement

I would say you're not the only one Neil. I get that feeling. Considering where I am in college it's stressful to say the last. I still think this place should be used. The carefree ones don't need to read our depressing "drivel", ya know? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

I still crush people's hopes and dreams. I just do it in person now, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

I don't think it's fair to say we all have moved on, and are cynical, hope crushing young adults. Just cause some people feel the need to be mean to the newbies on a semi-regular basis doesn't mean we all have to. Sure we've all changed, but why not use these changes for good, learn from them, and try to incorporate some of our old, carefree selves into who we now are?
    Certain oldies seem to need to crush the newbies' hopes and dreams, and I really don't know why they still post, maybe it's time to bring back some people who'll enjoy the mindless, carefree banter, and let the cynics take a back seat...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Do I count as an oldie? I think I qualify cos I was there in 2000 and I only actually know about four people on this board

As has already been said, many oldies have moved on and have better things to do than bicker with 16-year-olds over spelling and punctuation

Ian (iMP), you rock chairs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

They've moved on to A Better Place(tm).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Ah come on now Ailbhe, you know you really want to bicker with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Think I count as an oldie around here, was at CTYI 2000 and 2001 and I'm nearly 21 now...

yes!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Fair point Liam, I know I'm rather pedantic when it comes to punctuation...
    Can I just ask what is the deal with this 'Insert Random Phrase (TM)' thing, it's really irritating
    If you want the Golden Oldies to come back (another annoying term - you might as well call them Legends, a term that has been used before and is an incredible misnomer) then why don't you actually contact some of them and ask them to come back rather than just whinging? I mean, for God's sake, what are we supposed to do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

As for the (tm) thingy, im thinking it may have come from the monkey island games where he keeps talking about Real Life (tm), not sure though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

*ponder*
    Am I an oldie yet? Been at CTYI since 2000 but only 17 and still in school. Hrmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Plunky wrote:
    I don't think it's fair to say we all have moved on, and are cynical, hope crushing young adults. Just cause some people feel the need to be mean to the newbies on a semi-regular basis doesn't mean we all have to. Sure we've all changed, but why not use these changes for good, learn from them, and try to incorporate some of our old, carefree selves into who we now are?
    Certain oldies seem to need to crush the newbies' hopes and dreams, and I really don't know why they still post, maybe it's time to bring back some people who'll enjoy the mindless, carefree banter, and let the cynics take a back seat...
    Or maybe its time for them to co-exist, as they do now. Public board and all that, maybe we shouldnt have people deciding that those who may be old and bitter and cynical dont have a place here...

kinda screams of cyberEuthanasia to me :P

Fishie wrote:
    If you want the Golden Oldies to come back (another annoying term - you might as well call them Legends, a term that has been used before and is an incredible misnomer) then why don't you actually contact some of them and ask them to come back rather than just whinging? I mean, for God's sake, what are we supposed to do about it?

Everyone who has gone before isn't a legend. I'd never call myself such a thing. And whinging about a thread title and then the content is not one bit helpful. If you feel the need to pick apart my threads then keep it to yourself thanks.

You also fail, completely, to realize that a lot of "golden oldies" do actually browse the board and just do not post. I wont apologise to you, nor anyone for an attempt to draw some out of the woodwork.

You make good points Neil. Coexisting would be the ideal solution. I've made that point elsewhere to other people who are sick of the threads here. If you don't like the thread then don't post on it but there's no harm in posting your own threads etc.

[Edit: picky picky]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

halenger wrote:
    Everyone who's gone before is isn't a legend.

Quick Raphael he said is isn't!Correct his grammar man!!!!

And get banned for ANOTHER 3 days? Hrmm, i can't see him doing that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Indeed.

*realises that he, a mere 16 year old who has been attending since 01, has no right to be here and slinks out*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

In fairness halenger, it's not just the oldies who don't post here regularly anymore, just anyone who can't stand utter spam. I'm in no way an oldie, although I do know a good few, but I really couldn't be bothered with this place. When I first joined boards there used ot be good debates here, good discussion, some sign of the "intelligence" featured in the name of the place, but it seems to have vanished. It's just not worth the frustration. *shrugs* I know it could just be avoided, but really even that is annoying. And, as said before, most of the oldies have moved on, to new communities or new online communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

edibility wrote:
    When I first joined boards there used ot be good debates here, good discussion, some sign of the "intelligence" featured in the name of the place, but it seems to have vanished.

tru, there is an avid predominance of i,mmaturity and the "over-arrogant" youth tend to forget that those oldies also did the SAT's and yes, they too are talented youth...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

haha, so ya sit back and sulk and say nothing?

Apparently so, which is a really foolish thing to do!.. I'm borderline oldie - more middley, but I come and post cuz I love the oftentimes tun mindlessness, and also the semi-serious aspects of the discussions here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭taby

Okay....I sometimes wish I could have things as they were but to be honest everything moves forward....that's life. I don't think things will ever quite be the same and sometimes you have to accept that.

*me huggles halenger alot*

How about Flaming Oldies :-p

Given the boards meaning of the word flaming, me thinks that wouldn't be a great idea.

Anyhow points have been made on various fronts. I don't know how things will change. So back to being an "oldie"/idler/non-poster/whatever...

Think we're done here. *locks*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement