Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]McCartneys accuse IRA of readmitting suspect

Options
  • 26-03-2005 5:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

The hypocrisy continues, so much for ‘truth and justice’:
    McCartneys accuse IRA of readmitting suspect

The family of murdered Belfast man Robert McCartney have claimed that the IRA has allowed one of the men it expelled over his role in the murder of Robert back into its ranks.

The IRA expelled three members who they say were involved in the killing of the Short Strand father of two outside a Belfast bar. But now the McCartney family claim that one of them has been allowed to rejoin the paramilitary group.

Paula McCartney accused the IRA of contradicting itself "They have admitted that this person was indeed a criminal, they expelled him from their ranks because he was a criminal and now he's been brought back in again".

Irish Independent March 25, 2005

If this turns out to be true then it will show Gerry Adam’s and Sinn Féin’s claims that they would aid the McCartney’s in their search for justice to have been completely hollow. What took place at the party’s Ard Fhéis will have been exposed as nothing more than a political stunt for the cameras. But then many in the Republican Movement clearly believe the IRA never did anything wrong to begin with. That’s the case in a statement from Ogra Sinn Fein that I posted elsewhere. Here’s the key excerpt:
    "(The IRA) have done all that is in their power to try and get justice for Robert McCartney, and instead of thanking the movement for their efforts, they [the McCartney family] have used the death of their brother as a stick to politically beat Sinn Féin and also they have given a weapon to the enemies of the nationalist communities in the six counties, to prevent equality, justice and independence."

From article on Ogra Sinn Féin letter concerning the McCartney murder in The Irish News March 22, 2005

So, given the above comments a few days ago from the party’s youth wing, it’s no wonder that a suspect has now been readmitted. After all, in the parallel universe Republicans occupy, the IRA were actually helping Robert attain justice (not killing him you understand). And it’s actually the sisters who are the villains in all of this. Therefore, it’s surely entirely logical to allow a good justice seeking volunteer to rejoin the ranks of the put upon IRA. No doubt – given the above – the next step will be to punish the McCartney sisters. Remember folks, they’re the ones who have become enemies of the nationalist community. They’re the ones who are denying justice.

Given the frenzied trend so far of the attempts to smear the family it's no doubt only a matter of time before Republicans start blaming the sisters for their brother's slaying too. Furthermore, I’m beginning to think that the recent death threat to the family was not a prank at all and may very well have come from the IRA, as it claimed.

On top of all this, there are rumours that a senior member of the IRA (and Sinn Féin too?) was recently seen in friendly conversation in Belfast with one of the men the same organisation ‘interrogated’ for carrying out the murder. So, if this also turns out to be true, given the readmission story and the severe censure of the sisters from SF’s youth wing, is the Republican Movement about to turn on the McCartney family?

In light of these events, and with the experience of past ‘traitors’ such as Jean McConville in mind, should the governments now be preparing to get the sisters out of Northern Ireland and into the safety of a protection programme?

Staggering to think that there are some on boards who want this crowd in government with power over policing and justice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd love to know HOW THEY KNOW of this? Smells like BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

I'd love to know HOW THEY KNOW of this?
    As many people in the north close to Sinn Féin were most likely disgusted with the murder and the party's actions since, an insider probably volunteered the information. There will no doubt be denials from Sinn Féin, but then they've been completely discredited given their initial rebuttal of the of the McCartney sister's claims that IRA members were responsible for Robert's death. Not to mention the risible statements by two party candidates that they saw nothing while in the small Magennis' bar during the murder and 'clean up' afterwards.

So, just as the sisters have been shown to have told the truth throughout the past two month period, in stark contrast to the lies and obfuscation of Sinn Féin, I think I'll continue to believe the McCartney family over the Republican Movement.

Smells like BS.
    Not half as much as the stink emanating from the giant pile of crap flung at all and sundry by Gerry and the 'peace makers' over recent weeks. They'd have us believe Sinn Féin are committed to the search for 'truth and justice' besides other hypocritical claptrap. I mean if you're looking for BS just read the comments from Ógra Sinn Féin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MT wrote:
    I mean if you're looking for BS just read the comments from Ogra Sinn Féin.
    I half-believe P O'Neill, but nothing from SF. As for the lad who killed McCartney; he's "a well known psychopath", who in the past has done similair things. Everyone knows who it is, but "knowing" it doesn't prove anything.

he's "a well known psychopath", who in the past has done similair things.
    If that's the case then why was this character not expelled from the 'reputable' - or so they'd have us believe - IRA community policing service when he committed previous acts of brutality. Makes you wonder how many other nutcases the organisation has retained to 'serve' the community. Surely, this highlights yet another flaw in the concept of a secretive vigilante group, accountable to no one, acting as a self-appointed police force. Never mind their role as judge, jury and executioner.

I wonder if it's this monster that has just been allowed to rejoin the IRA as the McCartney sisters claim. Maybe the good ole justice campaigners in the 'RA believe his personality disorder might be useful in future murder... sorry, policing exercises. Is it only a matter of time before he kills again and another family has to be silenced in the cause of 'truth and justice'?

Everyone knows who it is, but "knowing" it doesn't prove anything.
    Not the two Sinn Féin candidates present in the bar while Devine and McCartney were screaming for their lives outside. Seemingly, they'd metamorphed from two politicos into three monkeys during the incident as apparently they heard nothing, saw nothing and proceeded to say nothing.

And surely all this knowledge of the crime would have been put to better use if Sinn Féin had encouraged witnesses to give statements to the PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

the_syco wrote:
    Everyone knows who it is, but "knowing" it doesn't prove anything.

Exactly. 70 people were in the pub. Many were involved in the subsequent cover up and intimidation.

Only for the intimidation - people involved in this vicious murder, cover up and intimidation would already have been charged.

The family of murdered Belfast man Robert McCartney have claimed that the IRA has allowed one of the men it expelled over his role in the murder of Robert back into its ranks.

With regards to the IRA - they constantly surprise me on how low they can go.

This amazes me as I could not have a lower openion of them.

• Advertisement

I think this case may well be taking on the pattern of the Garda McCabe murder. At first Sinn Féin denounced the killing as having nothing to do with the ‘struggle’. However, this turned out to have been nothing more than a smokescreen deployed in reaction to the shock and anger of the southern electorate. When time passed Sinn Féin made the mistake of assuming Irish revulsion had mellowed and the boys were taken back into the bosom of the movement. Witness intimidation during their trial and latterly their use as bargaining chips in negotiations with the government were to follow.

So, given this precedent I think it was only a matter of time before McCartney’s killers were readmitted. And just like the McCabe murderers their vile actions will most likely be portrayed some day as a vital part of the IRA’s campaign for freedom and justice. On top of all this, as the Republican rewriting of history takes hold, the McCartney family will not be remembered as the courageous souls struggling for justice they undoubtedly are. But instead as a bunch of treacherous harlots seeking to do nothing other than harm the nationalist people. Just look at the way many in the republican movement view the Jean McConville murder, i.e. a just punishment meted out to an informant for the British army. Sadly, I expect the sisters to be smeared in a similar fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

sadly i expect you to open more and more threads on the same subject

how do they know he was readmitted it sounds unreal that they would readmit a person for membership that they were willing to shoot a couple of weeks ago.

how do they know he has been readmitted does he have his IRA uniform on is he wearing his IRA membership badge or did they see his IRA membership card or perhaps they have access to the IRA computer with the names of all the IRA members on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

MT wrote:
    The hypocrisy continues, so much for ‘truth and justice’:

The real hypocrisy is how this board reflects society in general where articles and allegations that condem Republicans without any concrete evidence are excepted as gospel without even the slightest questioning where as an article or individual who doesnt go down this path is deemed to be 'biased' and subjected to abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

So this thread contains nothing of substance then. No surprise there. Expect ot see the next installment in the twist and turns of the 'lets start a new thread on some hearsay brigade'

'Sinn Fein member stole my banana - shock report inside!!'

cdebru wrote:
    sadly i expect you to open more and more threads on the same subject
    Not on my watch.
    This is no different to any other discussion, if one disagree's go in and argue your case.If theres no discussion, the thread will go away.
    AmenToThat wrote:
    The real hypocrisy is how this board reflects society in general where articles and allegations that condem Republicans without any concrete evidence are excepted as gospel without even the slightest questioning where as an article or individual who doesnt go down this path is deemed to be 'biased' and subjected to abuse.

Please go to the various feedback threads for comments like that.

This thread is open more than 17 hours or so and no discussion has really developed out of it, except the usual argey bargey.
    Lets hope the next thread dealing with the investigation into the death of Robert McCartney will be less so.

Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement