Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been Upgraded to 3072 Kb/s

• 26-03-2005 8:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I'm with Netsource and according to my modem's status this morning I am connected at

Down Stream 3072 Kb/s
    Up Stream 256 Kb/s

from the previous 1Mb line that I had.

Sounds good - but the downside so far is that I cannot download greater (!) than 133KB/s. With a 3MB line I thought I could get at least 200KB/s or higher.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

well then you are obviously not on a 3mb line!;p
    Ring netsourse and ask them what the story is. With 3mb you should be getting (theoretically) speeds of about 300k/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ayashii

Yeah you are right - with the 1MB line I could download about a steady 105. Definitely something has changed though as I am getting a steady 133KB/s now.

Have tweaked a few settings but nothing changing that download speed. Perhaps my line aint up to speeds of 3MB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Ayashii wrote:
    Yeah you are right - with the 1MB line I could download about a steady 105. Definitely something has changed though as I am getting a steady 133KB/s now.

Have tweaked a few settings but nothing changing that download speed. Perhaps my line aint up to speeds of 3MB?
    Maybe the line has been upgraded but Netsource aren't allowed to give you the 3mb until the 8th like everyone else. It might be capped on netsource's end or something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm with Eircom and have been upgraded to 2MB this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Out of curiosity...did you get notified of the upgrade to 2mb or just noticed the speed?

• Advertisement

No wasn't notified. I was downloading at 180KB so I checked the summary page on my router and sure enough I'm connected at 2048kbps-128kbps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Lucky you =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

LoGiE wrote:
    I'm with Eircom and have been upgraded to 2MB this morning.
    What exchange are you on as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Well for some. :rolleyes: I'm still on 512. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

bennyx_o wrote:
    Well for some. :rolleyes: I'm still on 512. :(

Aye me too, ah well, another week won't hurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

True.

I'm on the malahide exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Is 180 your max?? or does it go up to 200?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

are you getting up to 205kb/sec and what are your pings like, are they still the same as before... around 25ms to boards and 36ms to english servers?

Its stable at 215KB/sec when I was downloading Fedora earlier.

[EDIT]
    Pinging boards.ie [82.195.144.58] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.144.58: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.144.58: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.144.58: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.144.58: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.144.58:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 19ms

Same ping as before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thats really good and peace of mind to those wondering would the higher connection speeds give higher pings, thankfully pings look like remaining the same...I just hope I get the 215kb/sec when i eventually get upgraded, im 2.3km from my exchange so im abit doubtfull.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Still on the oul 512 here. Ah well. :) Soon... *chuckles manically*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

My internet connection says I'm connected at 10Mbps - it's clearly a lying modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

OFDM wrote:
    My internet connection says I'm connected at 10Mbps - it's clearly a lying modem.

No, that is your network connection. It's not lieing, your network card is 10mbps and newer cards are 10-100mbps or gigabit :)

It has no bearing whatsoever on your actual "internet" connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

dlofnep wrote:
    No, that is your network connection. It's not lieing, your network card is 10mbps and newer cards are 10-100mbps or gigabit :)

It has no bearing whatsoever on your actual "internet" connection.
    Actually it's my crappy ZyXel Prestige 630 USB dsl modem - when I got it first it correctly reported back 512kbps, but since I upgraded the drivers, it tells me 10Mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Were on Eircom Business Starter atm but we are still downloading at 55k/sec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

I thought Eircom Business Starter users were guranteed the full 512k(64KBytes) service or after error checking etc... is the fastest possible DSL ~55KBytes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

My porridge tastes horrible now :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement